Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

THIS WEEKS UNLICENSED DRIVER NEWS FROM ESCONDIDO, CALIFORNIA

Police cite 30 motorists in checkpoint

By: North County Times -
    April 11, 2007

ESCONDIDO -- Police cited 30 motorists Wednesday at a driver's license checkpoint and impounded 27 vehicles, Lt. Tom Albergo said.

The checkpoint was held from 8:30 to 11 a.m. at Bear Valley Parkway and Kit Carson Park, he said. Traffic was temporarily backed up on Bear Valley Parkway as a result.

Officers cited 25 drivers for never having been issued a California driver's license, and two others for driving on a suspended license, Albergo said.

Ten motorists were ticketed for driving without insurance, he said.

Police also issued tickets for other miscellaneous violations, the sergeant said.

Albergo added that police intend to conduct more driver's license checkpoints at various locations in the city.

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.

UNINSURED A Bigger Problem wrote on April 11, 2007 10:23 PM:"Ten UNINSURED drivers in one gauntlet is quite a significant catch. The UNINSURED status presents a much worse problem to society than does the unlicensed scenario, because the UNINSURED do not have the financial wherewithall to make good on any damages they cause in traffic due to just plain ordinary negligence. "

Do the Math wrote on April 11, 2007 11:07 PM:"25 Drivers w/out a license - what percentage vehicles to pass through was that? I'm guessing 2.2%. Yeah, I do know."

Taxpayer wrote on April 12, 2007 4:54 AM:"27 cars impounded, I think Escondido has got the right idea here, even if the police chief doesn't totally agree with this practice. They are effectively serving notice that their city won't condone illegal drivers and unisureed motorists that hurt all of us! Great job Escondido, Great job Chief (thanks for being a great leader even when you don't completely agree! That says a lot for your character!) Great job also to the officers that are out there doing the dirty work! Now if other north county cities would just follow suit, HOW ABOUT IT VISTA!"

Susan wrote on April 12, 2007 6:21 AM:"We have a large number of unlicensed and uninsured drivers in Escondido. They do not understand the rules of the road and many cannot read English to understand posted signs. A big thank you to our Police Dept for making our roads safer."

Mark wrote on April 12, 2007 6:36 AM:"The checkpoint was conducted for 2 1/2 hours and they stopped because the checkpoint backed up traffic. What did they think at that time of the day was going to happen? And I wonder how many of those were illegals? To bad they do not have those statistics."

Jsten wrote on April 12, 2007 7:22 AM:"Not having a CALIFORNIA drivers license is different than having no license at all, right? I hope that those driving without a lincense at all are not simply tagged and released. Shouldn't driving with a suspended license result in arrest?"

Robert24 wrote on April 12, 2007 7:38 AM:"Do the Math wrote on April 11, 2007 11:07 PM:"25 Drivers w/out a license - what percentage vehicles to pass through was that? I'm guessing 2.2%. Yeah, I do know." It really doesn't matter what the percentage is, it is illegal to drive without a valid license. If these people (dare I suggest illegal aliens?) do not have the courtesy or interest in obtaining a valid drivers license, what makes them think they need to obey any other laws either? And ten uninsured drivers (who are responsible for my high insurance rates, and yours)is way too many also. Great work, EPD! Keep it up!!"

to Do the Math wrote on April 12, 2007 7:39 AM:"you may think you know math, but I don't know where you learned English. Your sentence made little sense."

What am I hearing wrote on April 12, 2007 7:57 AM:"about the L.A. Police being sued for not turning illegals over to ICE? "

Keep in mind wrote on April 12, 2007 8:17 AM:"This is just a snapshot of what percentage of uninsured, unlicensed drivers/vehicles are actually operating on our streets on a daily basis. I applaud the work the EPD is doing and hope their budget allows for increased checkpoints. "

30 Out Of.... wrote on April 12, 2007 8:49 AM:"Hey NCT, how many were stopped? This way we can get an idea of how bad the problems are."

Doug wrote on April 12, 2007 8:51 AM:"Thanks EPD - Great Job! Please do more of the checkpoints. "

Ken wrote on April 12, 2007 8:58 AM:"Great many thanks to the Escondido Police. I am very surprised that there are so many people breaking our laws and driving without insurance or driver's license. What is so very wrong with this picture? I hope that San Marcos will follow suit, for there are so many living here illegally and I am sure that they all feel that they DO NOT have to obey our laws. My wife was injured from an illegal alien driving without license nor had any insurance to pay for the damage to my car. THIS REALLY NEEDS TO STOP! Enforce our laws NOW!"

Concerned taxpayer wrote on April 12, 2007 9:36 AM:"I applaud the EPD for their efforts! If the city can continue to move in this direction the property values will rise, the city will rid itself of lawbreakers of many kinds, and our streets, kids and families will be safer becasue of it. Keep up the good work!"

ruby wrote on April 12, 2007 10:48 AM:"Gooooooood jobbbbbbb. Do it more often. We need our town safer. From those who don't care. About our laws.We need safer streets....All the towns should do this.This is a huge problem. Needs more attention .....Than NCT sugar coating the problem's."

This was in just TWO & A HALF HOURS wrote on April 12, 2007 11:44 AM:"Tip of the iceberg I would say we need MORE of these checkpoints and more often in Escondido and impound the cars and deport the ILLEGALS. THANK YOU Escondido POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"

AResident wrote on April 12, 2007 12:04 PM:"Lets see now. This is a bigger problem that I think the city realizes. What is our code inforcement department doing during the day? I've been told that they usually only respond to calls they receive. Then they go look and maybe issue a warning. That's a "Reactive" group. We need a "Proactive" group. Why can't they go around and write license numbers down, check with the DMV to see if they have insurance? It's a fast process for the PD. If a car is not insurred it needs to me moved IMMEDIATLY or towed. If it's parked in a driveway it should have to display a sticker that indicates it has no insurance. If it's driven, to jail you go. No exceptions. It's against the law to have an uninsurred veichle on the street. Do you know how much money this would raise for the City of Escondido? Also it would ease the possibility of getting into an accident with an uninsured. OUR CODE INFORCEMENT DEPARTMENT NEEDS TO DO MORE PROACTIVE WORK. I say this because there is a van that has been parked across the street for 7 weeks. Hasen't moved. Weeds growing around it. This tells me that the code inforcement hasn't been through or payed attention. I will call this in on Friday."

Al wrote on April 12, 2007 12:25 PM:"This is just an outstanding action plan by EPD tor help clean the city of Escondido of unlawful motorists. Let's not be neive here folks. People caught without licenses and/or insurance is amajor offense. These same criminal characters are most likely committing other crimes, or capable of committing. Hence, impounding their cars may reduce other crimes of theirs as well, or at least make them think twice about doing it. Keep up the excellent work EPD."

bryan wrote on April 12, 2007 12:35 PM:"Do it everyday. wonderfull news."

Dickey wrote on April 12, 2007 12:36 PM:"Thank you Escondido Police! You're all doing a great job to keep our city safe! (And to keep the number of uninsured and unlicensed motorists down!) Thanks again! We support you!"

Excellent Work wrote on April 12, 2007 12:59 PM:"Excellent work EPD. The more you nab the safer we (law abiding citizens) are. I'm all for check points, keep it up! I know I'd pass!"

Concerned-1 wrote on April 12, 2007 1:27 PM:"I'm confused. Twenty five drivers never had a license, yet only 10 drivers were cited for having no insurance. Does that mean 15 drivers who never bothered to get a license managed to get insured?"

NCT is a racist RAG!
    wrote on April 12, 2007 1:43 PM:"Print ALL of the comments, even those which go against your illegal pandering treehugging ideals!"

THANKYOU EPD!!!
    wrote on April 12, 2007 1:59 PM:"Keep up the GREAT JOB! Do these every week, as often as possible! Three of my friends have been hit by illegals who did not even know how to drive, one fellow had never been behind the wheel before. Another driver went the wrong way on a ONE WAY-- He couldn't READ the sign."

Do Right wrote on April 12, 2007 5:51 PM:"This need not have anything to do with immigration policy. It is a traffic stop and the violators were stopped for traffic related issues. I say, Great Job Escondido police. If these stops were regularly held all over San Diego county, we would see fewer unlisenced and uninsured drivers and cars would meet safety and smog standards. I bet we would eventually see a reduction in hit and run accidents as well. "

More More wrote on April 12, 2007 8:15 PM:"These should be done in multiple locations throoughout the county, every week. They will clean our streets of low-lifes and it will send a clear message to the ILLEGAL's that it is time to abide by our laws or go back home to that toilet bowl called Mexico."

B AND P wrote on April 13, 2007 4:54 PM:"We are not just going to give up and go away. What truly belongs to us will eventually be returned."

~Dawna~in ky wrote on April 13, 2007 5:13 PM:"im originally from north county area,and i just read all this and wanted to say,its a shame how everything that happens people turn it into a racial thing.God get over it ppl,this was about people driving with out a license,NOT illegals.Just for the record,i was in a accident,i got hit by and odler women,with her brand new car,no license or insurrance,and she was WHITE! anyways,like some one else mentioned,they should be arressted and vehicles impounded.Thats what they do here in ky."

If ICE Were on scene wrote on April 14, 2007 11:38 AM:"We'd have 25 less problems to worry about. I didn't hear them arresting underage drivers for truancy since it happened during school hours, so logically I wonder if the 25 who never had a drivers license before were here legally? Support Escondido PD, they are on the front lines in this battle."

27 VEHICLES IMPOUNDED IN JUST 2 1/2 HOURS wrote on April 14, 2007 2:06 PM:"THAT IS JUST INCREDIBLE! This story should be front page news. Doesn't anyone here see a problem when 27 cars can be impounded in less than 3 hours? How many people are driving in Escondido without Insurance and licenses? That would be enough for me to move my family out of town. What happened to rights and safety for American Citizens? It is time to stop looking the other way in Escondido. ESCONDIDO HAS A VERY REAL AND SERIOUS PROBLEM WITH ILLEGAL ALIENS."

Skip wrote on April 14, 2007 3:44 PM:"I really think Escondians should invest in Towing Companies and Impound Lots. Business will be UP !"

NCT wrote on April 14, 2007 8:42 PM:"is a rag. I write an awesome post degrading the idiotic posting of B and P and its not posted...yet they post the racist remark of B and P...nice job you hacks."

Small Victory wrote on April 14, 2007 10:50 PM:"The best part is that impounding of the junkers makes life even more financially miserable for the already miserable poor who elect to take the risk and drive unlicensed and uninsured. Take a good look at the crap they drive....typically high-mileaged, non-maintained mid-'80s, beat-to-sh** cars that can't pass smog and in dire need of brakes, tires and other repairs. Often the cost of bailing an impounded beater out of captivity is more than a set of cheap tires. These people have NO business owning and driving a car if they can't afford repairs, smog certificates, registeration fees and INSURANCE!!!!!!!!"

Motorcyclist killed in hit and run crash wrote on April 15, 2007 7:53 AM:"Another fatal hit and run in Escondido last Night, and guess what the Suspect who was later apprended, did not have a driver's license."

To 30 Out Of.... wrote on April 15, 2007 7:56 AM:"Ha Ha Ha .... LOL LOL LOL .... probably 30 out of 40 .... Problem? Problem ? We don't have no stinken problem ..... Just go back to your life and put you head in the sand. LOL .... Funniest thing I ever heard. In just 2 1/2 hours, the police catch 27 drivers without a driver's license at JUST one checkpoint."

Syl wrote on April 15, 2007 8:39 AM:"For the 10 motorists who were ticketed for not having insurance, what about the 25 motorists who never had a Driver's License (California)? So does that mean that there were 35 motorists without insurance in 2 1/2 hours, or did the unlicensed motorists also have insurance. And if the unlicensed drivers did have insurance, then who is selling this insurance, "Bank Of America”? Nothing like clear and concise reporting to get the facts straight. I think an awful lot of people in Escondido are driving without car insurance. Just my thoughts."

Syl wrote on April 15, 2007 9:25 AM:"Angie's Law is the work of San Diego mother, Kathy Padilla, who lost her daughter, Angie Padilla, 19, to a hit-and-run driver. Under the proposed bill, anyone convicted of a hit-and-run with two prior convictions would serve a maximum of eight years. A fatal hit-and-run would get as much as nine years behind bars. Currently the maximum sentence is four years. "

Roberto wrote on April 15, 2007 9:32 AM:"There are two sides of the 15 freeway. There is the Middle-Class side to the West, and the Barrio Side to the East. Last night there was another fatal Hit and Run Accident on the east Side. This time at W Mission Ave and Metcalf Ave. "

I Love Google Maps wrote on April 15, 2007 9:38 AM:"RE:Bear Valley Parkway and Kit Carson Park; Another location East of the 15 freeway. I wonder if anyone has done a study to determine if some areas of Escondido are more prone to having drivers without driver's licenses then other areas."

Syl wrote on April 15, 2007 10:02 AM:"Does anyone see a trend here? The last Fatal hit and run accident in Escondido was also committed by a person who did NOT have a Driver's License. http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/12 ... _15_06.txt "

Syl wrote on April 15, 2007 10:04 AM:"We need to bring our National Guard Troops home from the Border and station them at Driver's License checkpoints in Escondido! http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/04 ... _14_07.txt "

Adam wrote on April 15, 2007 12:46 PM:"North County Times, CA - 15 hours ago ESCONDIDO ---- A motorcyclist died Saturday in a crash with a sport utility vehicle whose driver fled the scene, police said. The hit and run collision ... STILL NO STORY OR FOLLOW-UP For that matter I cannot find any reference to this event anywhere on the web news services. But I know it was on the morning news..."

Story Adam is looking for wrote on April 15, 2007 1:12 PM:" http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/04 ... _14_07.txt "

Adam wrote on April 15, 2007 1:26 PM:"RE : Story Adam is looking for ... Thank You, I could not find it to save me....We will hear more about this story. The man who was killed was 51 years old and assuming he is not an Illegal Alien and he has a family, then there is sure to be an outrage. The suspect who was apprehended after the hit and run, did not have a driver's license, which seems to be pretty normal for Escondido these days."

Ingrid wrote on April 15, 2007 9:54 PM:"On March 31, the Escondido Police conducted a DUI / Driver's License Check point and it took them 6 1/2 to impound 41 cars of drivers who were on a suspended license ( and drivers who never had a license (29). So you see it is not getting any better yet in cutting down of unlicensed drivers, but it is a start. http://www.ci.escondido.ca.us/police/ne ... -01-07.pdf"

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/04 ... _11_07.txt

Suspect arrested after fatal hit-and-run crash

By: North County Times
    APRIL 15, 2007

ESCONDIDO ---- A 19-year-old San Marcos man was arrested after a fatal crash Saturday night that left an Escondido motorcyclist dead, police said.

Suspect Ericel Garcia is suspected of striking the motorcyclist, Thomas Icenogle, 51, at the intersection of Mission Avenue and Metcalf Street at 8:19 p.m. and then fleeing the area, Lt. Mike Loarie said. Responding paramedics pronounced Icenogle dead at the scene.

About nine minutes after the crash was reported, a white GMC Yukon sports utility vehicle matching witnesses' descriptions was found in the 1000 block of Rock Springs Road, Loarie said. Two men, including Garcia, were found near the vehicle.

Garcia was booked into the Vista jail on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter, felony hit-and-run and driving without a license, Loarie said.

Anyone with information on the crash is asked to call Escondido police at (760) 839-4722.
    Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.

Note # 2 The first few comments were posted before the story was modified to include that the suspect had been caught and was an 19 year old male without a driver's license

HERE WE GO AGAIN wrote on April 14, 2007 9:24 PM:"ANOTHER MOTORCYCLE RIDER DIES. SEEMS ONE A WEEK SO FAR THIS YEAR....SOME GOOD ADVICE IS OUTLAW THE DARN THINGS! KILLER MACHINES IS WHAT THEY SHOULD BE NAMED."

OMG! wrote on April 14, 2007 9:40 PM:"Our society is going straight to.... Everyone, especially the young croed, influenced by MTV, music, and TV, thinking it's cool to buy and own a SUV - While not thinking it's cool to have manner, respect, and responsibility. I think the law should put a hammer on this hit-and-run thing (not to point out a fact, but many of them involved a sport truck or SUV). Lock them up with harsh sentences. "It's more honorable to repair a wrong than to dwell in it," Thomas Jefferson said. This hit-and-run thing is getting out of control and is deadly wronged."

Rider wrote on April 14, 2007 9:46 PM:"Why not outlaw the hit and run drivers you moron! "

News Flash wrote on April 14, 2007 11:04 PM:"Hit and run is already outlawed. Now stop casting stones in the glass house rider!"

No Surprised wrote on April 14, 2007 11:35 PM:"Little wonder why an initiative asking to tax SUVs' lines and darn near stop them with EPA restrictions are in the work right now."

Rider 2 wrote on April 15, 2007 12:16 AM:"I agree with Rider. While we are at it, we should also outlaw stereotypical thinking. Perhaps the driver wasn't a young driver. I'm still trying to figure out what a croed is."

Adam wrote on April 15, 2007 1:24 PM:"We will hear more about this story. The man who was killed was 51 years old and assuming he is not an Illegal Alien and he has a family, then there is sure to be an outrage. The suspect who was apprehended after the hit and run, did not have a driver's license, which seems to be pretty normal for Escondido these days."

Hadenuff wrote on April 15, 2007 1:30 PM:"The story in the paper said the driver questioned was not licensed or insured. Time for the PD to ramp up the checkpoints. civility needs to declare war."

News Flash II wrote on April 15, 2007 1:42 PM:"Driving without a driver's license is also outlawed!"

Skip wrote on April 15, 2007 2:12 PM:"Ericel Garcia (19) was being held in the Vista Detention Facility on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter, felony hit-and-run and operating a vehicle without a license, said Escondido police Officer Scott Christensen."

IT IS IN THE NEWS NOW wrote on April 15, 2007 2:14 PM:"Preliminary investigation indicated the motorcycle was westbound on Mission Avenue, while the SUV was heading east on the same street and turned left into the path of the motorcycle. The driver of the SUV was also cited for not having a driver's license."

To :HERE WE GO AGAIN wrote on April 15, 2007 2:17 PM:"Actually it seems more like another U.S. Citizen was run over by a hit and run driver without a license. I AM SURE MORE INFORMATION WILL COME OUT LATER, BECAUSE DURING HIGH PROFILE CRIMES SUCH AS THIS, THE LIBERAL MEDIA CANNOT SURPRESS THE FACTS."

Skip wrote on April 15, 2007 2:35 PM:"How interesting! Now that the story has been found again, there is now an updated version of it. Hmmm driving without a license and hit and run........ Which was the greater factor That, or it being an SUV? There will be some posts on this one. Especially if Mr.Icenogle is leaving behind a family. Meanwhile the suspect if found guilty may do 4 years at most in Prison, just like the last case in Escondido."

Escondido's Problems wrote on April 15, 2007 2:39 PM:"Driving without a license, driving without a license, driving without a license, driving without a license, driving without a license, driving without a license, driving without a license, driving without a license. Does Escondido have a greater problem of people driving without a license or Hit-and-Run's. Maybe the two are even related. Or could there be another factor at work here."

Dane wrote on April 15, 2007 2:43 PM:"Get real - if the vehicle was a sedan the motorcyclist would likely be just as killed as he was with the SUV. This anti-SUV thinking is ridiculous. Please try to exercise logical thoughts instead of leftist sound-bites."

Im sick of this wrote on April 15, 2007 6:01 PM:"If our federal government is not taking care of problems associated with illegals (gangs, dui's, unlicensed drivers, drugs exc) then I think its time for a citizen uprise against these issues...who's with me? We'll never know if the unlicensed driver was illegal due to our liberal press, but time and time again it is ILLEGAL'S doing the majorities of these crimes, especially in Mexcondido."

Rider 3 wrote on April 15, 2007 6:07 PM:"I'm certain that the driver had absolutely no intention of hitting the rider, and doubtless he was scared after the fact. I doubt if having very tough penalties for hit-and-run would have deterred him from fleeing the scene - he wasn't thinking. I also doubt that even if we gave 10 consecutive life sentences to folks for fatal accidents that such accidents would be reduced, because, simply put, they are ACCIDENTS. I do think there is likely a correlation between driving w/o a license and being involved in an accident. It seems to me that the licensing process necessitates at least a certain amount of learning and practice that reduces the probablility of causing an accident. The insurance companies probably have all kinds of stats to support that. So, if driving w/o a license were less tolerated, the licensing process were less politically-charged, and public transportation were more accessible, we might see a reduction in crashes. "

Really? wrote on April 15, 2007 7:02 PM:"Have anyone did a search on hit-and-run in San Diego lately on both the North County Times and the San Diego Union Tribune and see how darn near all of them involved some sort of a SUV or big truck? Remember the case of the woman cycling on Highway 101 got killed by a truck, or the cab driver in PB that was killed by a hit-and-run BMW SUV? Or...?"

tom has a family wrote on April 15, 2007 7:13 PM:"I knew tom and he has a family that is grieving right now from this tragic loss. His friends and family are in shock disbelief and are heart broken. Blaming the victim makes me outraged for the person callous enough to say they should outlaw motorcycles because of this accident I hope you never experience the loss his family and friends are feeling. BUT I ASSURE YOU motorcycles are not the root of all evil ... tom could have been killed crossing the street would you then blame him for not walking properly. Let's get real the person who did this was WRONG there are accidents and we accept that but to leave the scene as TOM DIED angers and breaks my heart. TOM WAS THE TYPE OF MAN TO GIVE YOU THE SHIRT OFF HIS BACK YOU NEEDED HELP. that just makes this all the worse to take."

To : Rider 3 wrote on April 15, 2007 8:13 PM:"A Driver's license implies that the driver has had drivers education training, reads and understands English, and is familiar with the rules of the road. OK so everyone does not speak and understand English I know that, but driving a car requires responsibility and a thorough knowledge of the physical forces at work. It just kills me to know that so many people simply drive because they think they have the right, regardless of the consequences. This is what Killed Mr. Icenogle, or he was just simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sure the driver of this car did not mean to kill him, but without knowing him I have to ask, was he trained on how to operate a motor vehicle. His age and lack of a drivers license work against him. He probably also did not have any insurance so who is going to pay for the damage and suffering inflicted. The suspect may spend a few years in Prison, but somewhere in Escondido a family has lost a loved one forever."

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/04 ... _14_07.txt

THIRD VERSION
    http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/04 ... _15_07.txt

Syl wrote on April 15, 2007 8:40 PM:"Was the suspects Driver's License, lost , revoked, or stolen? Did he ever have one? Are we talking about an American Citizen or a Legal Resident here? There are still a lot of unanswered questions regarding this story."

27 VEHICLES IMPOUNDED IN JUST 2 1/2 HOURS wrote on April 15, 2007 9:16 PM:"THAT IS JUST INCREDIBLE! This story should be front page news. Doesn't anyone here see a problem when 27 cars can be impounded in less than 3 hours? How many people are driving in Escondido without Insurance and licenses? That would be enough for me to move my family out of town. What happened to rights and safety for American Citizens? It is time to stop looking the other way in Escondido. ESCONDIDO HAS A VERY REAL AND SERIOUS PROBLEM WITH ILLEGAL ALIENS. http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/04 ... _11_07.txt "