Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Whitman encounters criticism from protesters and radio show

The GOP gubernatorial candidate opens an office in East L.A. and visits the 'Ken and John' show. At both stops, her shifting stance on illegal immigration is criticized.

Meg Whitman's 54th birthday Wednesday featured a rough time on the campaign trail because of what critics on both the left and the right view as the GOP gubernatorial nominee's shifting tone on illegal immigration.

Continuing her aggressive courtship of Latino voters, Whitman opened a campaign office in East Los Angeles and announced new Spanish-language advertisements aimed at this vital voter group. But her words were interrupted by a raucous crowd of protesters outside.

"There has not been a Republican candidate for governor that has had an office in East L.A. for 30 years. So we are going to fight for every vote," she said as protesters picketed, chanted and banged drums outside the strip-mall venue.

The interruption was unusual for a Whitman campaign event; her appearances are usually highly scripted and tightly controlled. The candidate seemed rattled, occasionally stumbled over her words and kept her remarks short.

She hit two of her usual talking points, job creation and fixing California's schools, but did not mention the third plank of her platform: cutting government spending.

She later said the Democratic and labor operatives who organized the protest targeted her because of her calls for reform. "They know I'm going to disrupt the status quo in Sacramento," Whitman told reporters.

Outside, the crowd of protesters grew to about 100, according to law enforcement estimates — double the number of supporters present. Sheriff's deputies were called and secured an exit path for the candidate.

Whitman walked out smiling broadly, waving and toting a campaign poster that said, "Mas Trabajos," which means "More Jobs." The crowd, carrying signs with slogans such as "Meg Whitman=anti-immigrant" and "Stop Lying 2 Latinos," jeered.

Since winning the Republican primary in June, Whitman has dramatically shifted her tone on illegal immigration. In the primary campaign, she ran ads saying that she was "tough as nails" and undocumented residents should not be allowed to have driver's licenses or attend state-funded universities.

Now, in Spanish-language ads and billboards, she proclaims her opposition to Arizona's controversial crackdown and Proposition 187, the 1994 effort to eliminate taxpayer-funded benefits for illegal immigrants in California. She took these stances quietly during the primary campaign.

Mike Garcia, president of Service Employees International Union Local 1877 and one of Wednesday's protest organizers, scoffed at Whitman's efforts to woo Latinos. The ads she aired during the World Cup soccer games, the billboards she has scattered across Latino communities and the glossy Spanish-language booklets being mailed to Latino voters won't work, he said.

Latinos will remember that former Gov. Pete Wilson, who was the most visible supporter of Proposition 187, is her campaign co-chairman and that she spoke harshly about illegal immigrants during the primary campaign, Garcia said, adding, "She can't buy the Latino vote."

After the event, Whitman headed to the conservative "John and Ken" show on KFI-AM (640). The influential hosts for weeks have been hammering the candidate, whom they call "Nutmeg," for pivoting on illegal immigration.

The interview was combative and tense. Whitman danced around many of the hosts' questions, such as why geography and size make Arizona's crackdown on illegal immigration unworkable in California, or why she is running ads about Latino children but not those of other ethnicities.

"Why don't you make all your positions clear in all languages? That's all we're asking," said co-host John Kobylt, adding that she should translate her billboards into English. "Put those in English-speaking Orange County," he said.

Their questions led to two policy answers — that illegal immigrants who want citizenship should return to their home countries and apply, and that she is leaning against Proposition 23, the November ballot measure that would suspend the state's landmark climate-change law.

But mostly, they argued about immigration. Whitman, whom the pair interrupted constantly, sounded hoarse by the end of the half-hour interview.

"The three of us are going to disagree about this," she said, her voice worn thin.

seema.mehta@latimes.com
    http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 2658.story

Re: Whitman encounters criticism from protesters and radio s

But her words were interrupted by a raucous crowd of protesters outside.

The interruption was unusual for a Whitman campaign event; her appearances are usually highly scripted and tightly controlled. The candidate seemed rattled, occasionally stumbled over her words and kept her remarks short.

Outside, the crowd of protesters grew to about 100, according to law enforcement estimates — double the number of supporters present. Sheriff's deputies were called and secured an exit path for the candidate.
    Welcome to the California outside of your little billionaire bubble Meg, the California all of us have to live in every day.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Ha Ha. I'm glad that they are addressing her flip flopping - something everyone has good reason to hate. Can't count on a liar - isn't that what a flip-flopper is?
    Restitution to Displaced Citizens First!

Re: Meg Whitman on John & Ken: I heard the interview yesterday afternoon. She dodged every question and is now being called "Vague" Whitman for her constant refusals to be specific -- and to answer specific questions.

For you California voters ... KFI will be replaying the interview at least twice more today. You can check out times here www.kfiam640.com. They may have a transcript up by now as well. Go to the John & Ken link at the website.

A lot of conserviate voters who care about the continuing crisis of illegal immigration here in California are making the decision to NOT VOTE the gubernatorial section of our ballots this year. I have made that decision. Maybe, just maybe, next time a RINO runs they will think twice about stabbing GOP primary voters in the back.

Banned
    And yet these idiots turned down Posner who would have been far tougher on illegals.

Thats whats scary about the Nov elections , it seems people never learn and just keep electing these idiots ,

If you think Arnie was bad , Meg will be far worse ,

Not to mention the meltdown if Brown gets in.

Quote Originally Posted by Justthefacts
    If you think Arnie was bad , Meg will be far worse ,

Not to mention the meltdown if Brown gets in.
    Either way, California Dreamin' is now California Nightmarin'.

John & Ken did an excellent job picking her apart.All that you heard from
    her frothing mouth was latino this and latino that.Hey Meg,what's up with the spanish language billboard and radio adds?.I thought one of the prerequisites to citizenship was the grasp of the english language?
    To whom are you catering to? Hey Meg,you're a dirtbag!

Meg Whitman says on one ad she's going to be "tough as nails on illegal immigration." Her campaign manager is former governor Pete Wilson. And yet she says she doesn't support Prop 187. Sheesh.

Still I'll probably vote for her. Maybe she'll at least do something. Whereas Jerry Brown is a total disaster. Or am I grasping at straws? Right or wrong I'm just voting straight Republican this time and Democrats be damned.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Acebackwords
    Meg Whitman says on one ad she's going to be "tough as nails on illegal immigration." Her campaign manager is former governor Pete Wilson. And yet she says she doesn't support Prop 187. Sheesh.

Still I'll probably vote for her. Maybe she'll at least do something. Whereas Jerry Brown is a total disaster. Or am I grasping at straws?
    Meg ruined ebay

Just think what she can do to Calif

Banned

California sinking fast

California had a fighting chance with POISNER... The once golden state Is now turning to lead,and sinking Into the pacific ocean. I know many people that are leaving, and have left the state. When I retire I will be selling my house and getting as far away as possible from this SANCTUARY STATE...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast