Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Five blasts in northern Spain, ETA blamed

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7516073.stm

Bomb blasts hit Spanish resorts

Police officers search the scene of a blast in Laredo, Spain
    Local authorities evacuated the areas as a precaution

Five bombs have exploded in northern Spain, including four at popular seaside resorts.

The first bomb detonated outside a bank in the town of Getxo, north of Bilbao.

Two devices exploded at midday in the resort of Laredo, in the Cantabria region, before another two went off in Noja, some 20km (12 miles) from Laredo.

Officials said the Basque separatist group Eta had warned of the attacks, and nearby areas had been evacuated. One woman was treated for shock.

Emergency authorities received the call telling them Eta had planted four bombs on the beaches in Laredo and Noja, and Noja's golf course, which would explode between 1100 (1000 GMT) and 1400.

Map
    However, there were no other casualties as the beaches in the resort towns were virtually deserted because of rainy weather.

Eta regularly targets tourist resorts for its summer attacks.

Eta has killed more than 820 people in its 40-year campaign for independent Basque homeland in northern Spain and south-western France.

The group announced a ceasefire in March 2006 but formally ended it last June.
    MORE//////

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETA

International response

The European Union and the United States list ETA as a terrorist organization in their relevant watch lists. The United Kingdom lists ETA as a terrorist group in the Terrorism Act of 2000. The Canadian Parliament listed ETA as a terrorist organization on April 2, 2003 [88].

France and Spain have often showed co-operation in the fight against ETA, despite France's lack of co-operation during the Franco era. In late 2007, two Spanish guards were shot to death in France when on a joint operation with their French counterparts. Furthermore, in May 2008 the arrests of four persons in Bourdeaux led to a major breakthrough against ETA, according to the Spanish Interior Ministry.[89]
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Who is this ETA group?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The only ETA I knowis "Estimated time of Arrival" some how I don't think thats what they are talking about since they say "ETA Group" Never heard of them so sorry not much help am I!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

I may never arrive, usually I arrive late, anyhow.

They have been bombing Spain for awhile, now.