Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

immigrant's kids having unusual trouble applying for aid

Services Undocumented immigrant's kids having unusual trouble applying for aid
    BY NYLEJAH LAWSON AND MARIA MORENO
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Monday, August 18th 2008, 6:44 PM

Alma didn't realize she could apply for aid despite mom's status. The solution: put in zeroes for Social Security numbers.
    When alma applied to college, she was confused about what to put on the application when asked for her parents' Social Security numbers.

Alma, a high school senior from Bushwick, is one of 3 million American-born children of undocumented immigrants living as a legal citizen in the U.S. For teens like Alma, applying to college can be hard because of parents' fears of deportation.

Alma, whose family is from Mexico, said not knowing what to put on college applications and financial papers was stressful because she knew she had to work harder to be the first in her family to go to college, even though she has two older siblings, including a 19-year-old sister.

"She feels bad," Alma said of her sister. "She cannot go to university" because she's undocumented.

Walter Barrientos, a first-generation immigrant, experienced similar difficulties when applying to college because his parents did not understand the process.

"I didn't have a plan on how to get to college because my parents didn't know how the system worked," he said. "I really didn't have much support in the communities that we came from."

Barrientos, who graduated from Baruch College, co-founded the New York State Youth Leadership Council, which helps immigrants apply to college. "I don't believe that your immigration status should ever have anything to do with a person's education," he said.

Mark Kantrowitz believes that it is hard to apply for aid because a parent is fearful and has little or no experience with the process.

Kantrowitz, the publisher of FinAid.org, a Web site devoted to financial aid information, said that children of undocumented immigrants can apply for financial aid, but it is an intimidating process.

Many immigrants don't want to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid application that determines eligibility for all forms of government financial aid because they are afraid of attracting the attention of the Department of Homeland Security, he added. But the Internal Revenue Service and the Department of Education are not allowed to share information with the Department of Homeland Security, Kantrowitz said.

He also said that many children of undocumented immigrants do not know that they can put all zeros on applications asking for parents' Social Security numbers.

Tony Clark, a college adviser at Urban Assembly School for Media Studies, believes that, with help, children of immigrant parents can easily get into college even with little or no experience from their parents. "I tried to find ways to help kids out, kids who aren't documented," he said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/bro ... nus-2.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

There is our problem, he and his family have not been DEPORTED OR ICE has not found them, yet
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Yet another sob story, framed around the "plight" of the "undocumented" (caused by the irresponsible actions of IA parents).

How about some stories about the negative impacts upon Americans of massive illegal immigration and overpopulation..Just dreaming..
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

She feels bad," Alma said of her sister. "She cannot go to university" because she's undocumented.
    I could care less how bad you feel! Your an illegal invader that does not deserve to attend college in this country!

Go back to mexico if you want to attend college. Your country has plenty of educational opportunitites for citizens of mexico!

Tony Clark, a college adviser at Urban Assembly School for Media Studies, believes that, with help, children of immigrant parents can easily get into college even with little or no experience from their parents. "I tried to find ways to help kids out, kids who aren't documented," he said.
    What about American kids? I wenth thru difficulties also when I was going to College!!!!!!!

He also said that many children of undocumented immigrants do not know that they can put all zeros on applications asking for parents' Social Security numbers.
    This is discrimination through and through. Colleges use the parents ss numbers to find out about the parents financial situation, thereby American students are impacted by the money the parents make.

Kids of illegals are allowed to put zeros in for their parents ss numbers and would get the MOST in financial aid- since their parents earnings cannot be checked.

Simple solution - EVERYONE should put in zeros for parents ss numbers and get 100% financial aid! Then watch colleges start closing their doors.
    "

Barrientos, who graduated from Baruch College, co-founded the New York State Youth Leadership Council, which helps immigrants apply to college. "I don't believe that your immigration status should ever have anything to do with a person's education," he said.
    "Immigration status" does matter! Illegal aliens should not be permitted to go to college in America. They need to go home and get an education there.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Alma, whose family is from Mexico, said not knowing what to put on college applications and financial papers was stressful because she knew she had to work harder to be the first in her family to go to college, even though she has two older siblings, including a 19-year-old sister.

"She feels bad," Alma said of her sister. "She cannot go to university" because she's undocumented.
    Here's a suggestion....GO BACK to mejico where you can go to one their fine, outstanding institutions of higher learning. I'm sure they will welcome you back with open arms!!