Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Police say drug suspect (IA) dragged cop with car

Police say drug suspect dragged cop with car
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By By Norman Miller, DAILY NEWS STAFF
    MetroWest Daily News
    Posted Sep 16, 2008 @ 12:55 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ASHLAND — An alleged cocaine dealer from Boston dragged an Ashland cop about 10 or 15 feet with his car and tried to ram another two officers Saturday before he was arrested, police said.

Petrick Somerville, 34, is also believed to have swallowed several baggies of cocaine before the 10:30 p.m. arrest on Central Street, police Sgt. Greg Fawkes said.

During the incident, Fawkes, who was half-in and half-out of Somerville's Honda Accord, said he had to point his gun at the man.

"It was kind of crazy," the sergeant said. "I wasn't expecting that. The car jerked forward. That's when I drew my firearm and I said, 'Stop, or I'm going to shoot you.' "I thought he was going to run them (Sgt. Brendan Ellis and Detective Bob MacQuarrie) over. I thought he was going to run them down."

Fawkes said the department has been conducting an investigation into Somerville for the last month. He said Somerville had been selling drugs in town for about two years, but has avoided arrest due to lack of evidence.

Detectives had conducted several undercover buys, and knew where Somerville would be on Saturday.

That night, the three officers saw a woman on a bicycle hanging out in a parking lot on Central Street. Fawkes said they knew her to be a cocaine user.

They watched her for about an hour until Somerville pulled over.

"We had information from several sources going in that he swallows drugs, which obviously heightens our awareness," said Fawkes. "Anyone who is going to do something like that, there's no idea what else he will do."

Somerville was arrested in Framingham last year and was charged with distribution of cocaine. In that incident, police said he swallowed several baggies of cocaine, but that case was dismissed.

As officers rushed the car, they saw Somerville put what appeared to be baggies containing cocaine into his mouth and wash them down with water.

Fawkes said he went to the passenger side of the car and pulled the woman from the car and confronted Somerville.

The woman was not arrested because she had no drugs on her, Fawkes said.

While Fawkes was hanging out of the car on the passenger side, Somerville started driving away, Fawkes said.

After a few feet, Ellis broke the driver's side window with his flashlight and he and MacQuarrie dragged Somerville from the car. Fawkes climbed the rest of the way in and pulled the emergency brake to stop the car from moving forward.

"They (the other officers) did an incredible job," said Fawkes. "They saved me from either getting dragged or him getting shot."

Police knew Somerville double- or triple-bagged his drugs to try to prevent them from breaking inside of his stomach, Fawkes said.

Fawkes said Somerville refused to pass the drugs while in police custody even though officers found out he was an illegal immigrant from Jamaica and Immigration and Customs Enforcement said he would be deported.

"We told him, 'It's not worth it. You're going to be deported anyway, just pass it. It's not worth dying over,' " said Fawkes. "He wouldn't even talk to us."

Somerville of 25 Johnson Road was charged with three counts each of assault and battery on a police officer and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, a car.

He was also charged with resisting arrest, distribution of cocaine, possession of narcotics within a school zone, using a vehicle during the commission of a felony and reckless driving.

Somerville pleaded not guilty at his Framingham District Court arraignment yesterday. ICE originally filed a detainer warrant, but then called it back and ordered Somerville to report to a federal court.

Somerville was released on $2,500 bail yesterday. He is due back in court on Oct. 20 for a pretrial conference. As of yesterday he still had not passed the bags, police said.

(Norman Miller can be reached at 508-626-3823 or at nmiller@cnc.com.)
    http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/news/ ... p-with-car
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

3rd grade quiz time kiddies. Whats the pattern? Previously arrested, let loose, busted again. Almost kills someone this time.

Answer: Why the heck doesnt every town/county have 287(g)?
    287(g) + e-verify + SSN no match = Attrition through enforcement