Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Baggy pants ban "unconstitutional," rules US judge

Since when showing your underwear is a fashion statement?

MIAMI (AFP) - A Florida judge has deemed unconstitutional a law banning baggy pants that show off the wearer's underwear, local media reported Tuesday.

A 17-year-old spent a night in jail last week after police arrested him for wearing low pants in Riviera Beach, southeast Florida.

The law banning so-called "saggy pants" was approved by city voters in March after supporters of the bill collected nearly 5,000 signatures to put the measure on the ballot.

The teen would have received a 150 dollars fine or community service, but he spent the night in jail due to a history of marijuana use, the Palm Beach Post newspaper said.

"Somebody help me," said Palm Beach Circuit Judge Paul Moyle, before giving his decision.

"We're not talking about exposure of buttocks. No! We're talking about someone who has on pants whose underwear are apparently visible to a police officer who then makes an arrest and the basis is he's then held overnight, no bond."

"Your honor, we now have the fashion police," added public defender Carol Bickerstaff, who asked the law be declared "unconstitutional."

The judge agreed with Bickerstaff immediately, reported the Post.

Laws that ban low-slung pants are on the books in several US cities, including Delcambre, Louisiana, where offenders can be fined up to 500 dollars or jailed for up to six months.

Dallas, Texas and Atlanta, Georgia are among the larger US cities considering similar measures.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080916/od ... fsAhTZn414

Is there some amendment to the Constitution that has been snuck in on us? Next thing you know that any law banning nudity will also be declared unconstitutional, and I would really hate to see everyone trotting through town in the nude.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    Is there some amendment to the Constitution that has been snuck in on us? Next thing you know that any law banning nudity will also be declared unconstitutional, and I would really hate to see everyone trotting through town in the nude.

LOL I was just saying that to my husband when I read the story Its funny how they use the laws to suit themselfs instead of the voters. If the voters wanted it then so be it !
    Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.

This "baggy pants" style has been hanging on for a couple of decades....usually trends come and go......why hasn't this one bit the dust like a few other questionable trends? They sure didn't hesitate to ban Madonnas underware trend at places when it was the fad. They frowned on thongs at beach as well.....not "family friendly" and mens boxers worn as shorts on women.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)