Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Companies offer tips for 'Conficker' worm concerns

Companies offer tips for 'Conficker' worm concerns

12:58 AM CDT on Wednesday, April 1, 2009

By STEVE STOLER / WFAA-TV

LINK: Microsoft 'patch'

Microsoft: Free PC safety scan

DALLAS - Computer experts are warning computer users that April Fool's Day could turn out to be less than funny when it comes to a serious computer virus.

The virus is called the "Conficker" worm, and it's been infecting millions of PCs. Experts said they believe the Conficker virus could take a nasty turn at midnight Tuesday.

"The worst case scenario is something completely unanticipated that would cause a lot of malicious damage to companies and networks," said Barry McPherson, a computer security expert.

So, what should one do to protect themselves?

First there is knowing how the virus targets users, which occurs when users open an unknown e-mail attachment that infects their computer. The virus hijacks the computer by harnessing its processing power. It then links it with hundreds of others to create a super computer called a "botnet."

"This is organized crime at a global level that has control of these botnets," said Chris O'Ferrell, a computer security consultant. "It is a very profitable and very powerful tool."

McPherson, senior vice president at the computer security giant McAfee, Inc., said the best case scenario is nothing happens. However, there is the possibility of the other side of the coin.

"Probably the easiest thing for the consumer is you probably won't be able to access your security vendor," McPherson said.

The Conficker worm automatically turns off various security settings built into Microsoft Windows. It blocks users from going to websites that provide anti-virus protection.

"You notice your computer acting funny," McPherson said. "You see some strange flickering on your screen."

Most people probably won't notice anything wrong with their computers, even if some command is sent by Conficker that day.

But for safety, Microsoft, McAfee and other companies have websites where users can find software "patches" to prevent damage to their machines.

E-mail sstoler@wfaa.com
    http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/w ... 09ca5.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This is exactly why I ended up having to go out and buy a new system a couple of weeks ago!! It was going to cost more than that for the tech guy to try and clean up the mess on an older system than it cost me to go out and buy the new system I'd been wanting for awhile anyway.

And talk about a mess.........this damned thing managed to get past 3 different security programs and embed itself in the trusted files I had containing the forms and whatnot I regularly use for work so I didn't stand a chance.

I didn't even bother transferring any files from the old system because it wasn't worth taking the risk of infecting my new system but fortunately, there was nothing in there which was irreplaceable.

Now my dilemna is if I want to allow the Active X required to run the Windows program dealing with this thing.

Anyone know if I should trust doing that? And, if I go there does it automatically allow all Active X controls to access my system?

I am soooooo confused
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

anyone have links to the official patches for this?

W

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC

W

I looked and didn't see them W.

I found recommendations and the opportunity to purchase/download Norton, and got as far as where I could do the free scan at MS.....which led to my question about the Active X control because I can't do the scan without allowing the control.

The problem is that I'm just so darned AFRAID to do anything because this thing is designed to be so deceptive.

The tech guy I use told me he's had several cases where clients have actually been infected when they went to their security programs (Panda, McAfee, Norton) and what looked perfectly legitimate was anything but.

I've seen firsthand what this thing is capable of doing and I don't mind saying that it's made me suspicious of EVERYTHING now because how are you supposed to know that what you're looking at and clicking on is the real deal or not?

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC

W
    As long as you let Windows do it's March updates, you are fine. They included a removal tool. Also, I use the BEST free anti-virus out there, Avast. I have used AVG, Norton, Nod32, and Kapersky. The popular ones like Norton are resource hogs and slow your computer down if you have an older system. I have gotten too many viruses with AVG. Avast actually stops the virus before it has a chance to infect you. I have had it for a year and this is the longest I have ever gone since 1997 without ANY trojans/viruses.
    We see so many tribes overrun and undermined

While their invaders dream of lands they've left behind

Better people...better food...and better beer...

Why move around the world when Eden was so near?
    -Neil Peart from the song Territories&