Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

AZ-MCSO Sends 30 Illegal Immigrants To ICE

MCSO Sends 30 Illegal Immigrants To ICE
    Sheriff Joe Arpaio Says Deputies Can Work Without 287-G
    Elizabeth Erwin
    Reporter, KPHO.com

POSTED: 8:44 pm MST October 17, 2009
    UPDATED: 7:31 am MST October 18, 2009

MARICOPA COUNTY, Ariz. -- This weekend marked the 12th crime suppression sweep under Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's watch. The rules have changed, but Arpaio said his sweeps haven't and won't.

Arpaio and his deputies no longer have ICE agent status. That means they can't ask people for documentation proving they're citizens if they haven't committed any other crimes.

CBS 5 wanted to know how he nabbed 30 suspected illegal immigrants this weekend without violating that very specific order.

Maricopa County Deputies conducted a crime sweep from Friday night until Saturday night.

This weekend's round included a raid at the On Your Way Car Wash in Peoria. In total, 60 people were arrested, half of those suspected illegal immigrants.

"We did not need the federal authority, I said from the beginning we do not need the 287 G to do our job," Arpaio said.

But how can Arpaio know who's legal and who isn't?

Without that 287 G, a crime needs to be committed to check for immigration status. CBS 5 asked Arpaio how his deputies know who to send to ICE and who to let go.

Arpaio said they've been trained by the federal government and that taking away ICE status doesn't take away experience.

"Certain criteria; no identification, look like you just came from Mexico, and they admit it, so that's enough," Arpaio said. "We had no problem in identifying the people that we stopped."

"The only solution is to yank Arpaio's authority, because I believe he's abusing his authority as a sheriff and he should go out and pursue real crime," said Somos America President Lydia Guzman.

In response to comments like Guzman's, Arpaio said, "Last I heard if you're in this country illegally you are a criminal. It's OK to go after DUIs and hookers and all these small crimes, and yet when these people come into our country and violate the law, lets all give them a free pass."

Arpaio said losing the 287 G actually makes his job easier. Now he passes all that paperwork along to ICE.

Another reason Arpaio called Saturday night's news conference was to talk about what he calls unethical behavior by the Department of Justice.

Arpaio said four or five DOJ representatives were at a news conference Friday night, posing as media he said to get access to information.

http://www.kpho.com/news/21328387/detail.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Northern California (moved back to fight for our land and freedom)
    The pro-illegal group scorn this guy for his actions but I live in an Hispanic neighborhood. Since he started these things the illegals have calmed down and don't just get in your face with whatever they feel like. I used to have helicopters flying over my house two or three night a week looking for illegals running from committing crimes. Now I hear them every two or three weeks. Doesn't sound like much but if you live here and you wake up in the night to helicopters shinning lights next to your house it is unnerving. It drives me crazy that the people that are not effected by illegals get to decide which laws we enforce and which ones we don't given if they are running for office or not.

I want the laws enforced and I LOVE SHERIFF JOE!

I'm no different than the majority of American citizens...I LOVE this guy!!