Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Florida - 2nd new seat due to noncitizens

If the Census hadn't counted noncitizens, Florida would have gained only one new congressional seat, not two.
    BY AARON SHAROCKMAN
    St. Petersburg Times
    This week's announcement that Florida will pick up two congressional seats and a pair of additional electoral votes certainly enhances the state's clout in Washington.

But that extra political muscle comes with an interesting twist: The state would have gained only one additional seat had the Census counted just U.S. citizens, one researcher found.

It's a strange and little known quirk of the Census process -- that people who cannot vote help influence future elections -- which in 2010 helped Florida at the expense of states like Ohio, Pennsylvania and Missouri.

The methodology has politicians in states that lost seats angry and also puts some Florida Republicans in an awkward position, given tough talk recently over illegal immigration.

Last February, as Marco Rubio waged what proved to be a successful campaign for the U.S. Senate, he ran into criticism when he advocated that only legal U.S. citizens be counted for the purpose of awarding congressional seats. He quickly backtracked, saying he thought the Census should also count legal residents, but not illegal immigrants.

Rubio was unavailable to speak for this story, spokesman Alex Burgos said.

Imagine a reshuffling of the 435 U.S. House seats. The Constitution guarantees each state one seat, so scratch off the first 50.

The Census count then helps allocate seats 51-435, one at a time. While there will be one House member for every 710,767 people, that's not necessarily how the Census Bureau decides how many congressional seats a state receives.

Here's how they do it. All 50 states and their populations are ranked in order. California, being the largest, is at the top, and gets the 51st congressional seat.

Next, the Census Bureau uses a formula to subtract from California's population the portion of the state assigned to that 51st seat.

So now Texas has the highest remaining population, and gets the 52nd congressional seat. Again, some of the state's population is subtracted. And so it goes, with the next seat awarded to the state with the largest remaining population, and that portion of the population removed until seat 435 is awarded.

In every case, the state with the highest remaining number gets the seat, though the margins are much smaller as the apportionment reaches the last 10 or so seats.

Using that process, Florida will have two additional House seats until at least 2020.

But that's only because the entire population was counted.

Clark Bensen, who analyzes political and demographic data for a company he founded called Polidata, estimates that if the Census only counted U.S. citizens for the purpose of apportionment, Florida would gain just one seat, not two.

Bensen used the same formula the Census Bureau does to hypothetically award congressional seats, but in his calculations he only counted U.S. citizens. Doing that would drop Florida's population from 18.8 million to 17 million, and cost Florida a congressional seat.

According to Bensen, if the Census only counted U.S. citizens, California would have lost five congressional seats, while Montana, North Carolina, Oklahoma and Indiana each would have gained a seat.

``It's one of the things most people don't realize. The Census count, indirectly, sort of gives noncitizens a vote.''

Along with congressional seats, the 10-year Census count is used to allocate $400 billion in federal funding.

In 2009, U.S. Sen. David Vitter, R-La., proposed adding a question to the 2010 Census asking about citizenship status to reshape how seats were awarded and how money might be divided. But the measure failed. And as a result, Vitter's Louisiana will lose a seat. Some question the count's constitutionality.
    John S. Baker, who teaches constitutional law at Louisiana State University, said the Constitution specifically says ``Indians not taxed'' are not to be counted when considering congressional apportionment. To Baker, those sovereign Native American tribes are no different from foreign nationals living in the United States.

But others argue that the Constitution proves the opposite. Right before ``Indians not taxed,'' the 14th Amendment to the Constitution said the Census should be used to count ``the whole number of persons in each State.''

``The wording in the Constitution strongly suggests to me that the framers intended the Census to count everybody,'' said Steve Schwinn, who teaches at the John Marshall Law School in Chicago.

Legal or not, Florida legislators are expected to begin discussing how to add two new congressional districts during the 2011 legislative session.

Aaron Sharockman can be reached at asharockman@sptimes.com.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/12/24/1 ... 192Kw5q9vd:

Banned
    And here we are again looking at THE 14TH AMENDMENT It Is killing this country using the current Interpretation by the Idiots In Washington D.C,and by the liberal judges that are selling out our country

I think this summer before it gets really hot we should all meet on the Whitehouse steps and scream "GIVE ME, MY JOB BACK!"
    5gal. buckets of peanut butter and jelly a bread truck, and all the water we can carry! And stay there till the coward comes out! And explains to me why he can't be re-elected on his own Merit? By the same American's that elected him! "Liar's and thieve' have no Merit!"
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetheroofer
    I think this summer before it gets really hot we should all meet on the Whitehouse steps and scream "GIVE ME, MY JOB BACK!"
    5gal. buckets of peanut butter and jelly a bread truck, and all the water we can carry! And stay there till the coward comes out! And explains to me why he can't be re-elected on his own Merit? By the same American's that elected him! "Liar's and thieve' have no Merit!"

As soon as I saw Florida was getting 2 more seats I knew it is due to the illegal and legal residents. Many hispanic immigrants do not get their citizenship especailly so they don't loose their citizenship in their country of birth. They come here work and go back home once they retire as their American pension allows them to live very well over there.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Now you know why some states will continue to pander to illegal invaders and want nothing to do with the enforcement of immigration law. It's ALL about the power in Washington!!! Politicians are aware of this, which is why they pander to these criminals.

We as a nation refuse to enact voter identification laws under the ludicrous excuse that requiring identification will “disenfranchiseâ€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)