Title: Commissioner: "Taxes may go up due to Hispanics"
Source: Volunteer TV
URL Source: http://www.volunteertv.com/global/story.asp? s=3307523&ClientType=Printable
Published: May 6, 2005
Author: staff
Post Date: 2005-05-06 01:13:04 by out damned spot
Ping List: *Immigration Issues Ping List*
9 Comments

Hamblen County Commissioner: "Taxes may go up due to Hispanics"

Morristown, Hamblen County (WVLT) - An article that appeared in an East Tennessee newspaper is sparking some controversy in Hamblen County.

In Wednesday's edition of the Citizen-Tribune, a Hamblen County commissioner is quoted as saying taxes may be going up due to Hispanics.

But that commissioner, Larry Baker, told Volunteer TV News, it's not the legal Hispanics, but the illegal immigrants that are cause for concern.

We wanted to know just how serious that problem is, so we sent Volunteer TV's Chloe Morroni to Morristown to find some answers.

Alex Rodriguez came here from Mexico nine years ago.

"It's for a better life," she says.

She owns two Mexican stores and a restaurant in Morristown. Alex says she's just like the other immigrants in the area-- productive people, contributing to society.

"They came to work if they have to clean the floors pick tobacco or whatever. They're not looking to go to an office and sit down there; they're not looking for that kind of job. I don’t know why Americans are afraid of Spanish," says Rodriguez.

Alex says she thinks Hispanics in Hamblen County are getting a bad rap from the county commission, but Commissioner Tom Lowe says it's not the legal immigrants like Alex, leaders have a problem with.

"I want them to know they are more than welcome," says Lowe.

Officials say many of the county’s thousands of Hispanics are illegal and Lowe says they're costing the county serious money. Commissioners say they may have to raise property taxes by a million dollars to cover increase costs in schools to hire bilingual teachers.

"That puts a strain financially, big time," says Lowe.

Plus, officials say a large number of teens going through the juvenile court system are Hispanic and most don't have proper documentation.

"Additional jail inmates, that costs a bunch of money,� Lowe adds.

Some folks in Hamblen County say they don't want to fork over more money to pay for illegal immigrants.

"I'm opposed to it yes," says James Loop, Morristown resident. "I don't think a raise property taxes on account of trying to teach them how to read English."

As for Alex Rodriguez, she says if taxes are raised and commissioners blame Hispanics, she's afraid it will make life even more difficult for those who are just trying to make things better.

By some estimates Hamblen County has the largest and fastest growing Hispanic population of any county in Tennessee.

Commissioners say they'll take up the tax issue in the coming weeks.

We'll keep you posted.

FAIR USE NOTICE: The above may be copyrighted material, and the use of it on LibertyPost.org may not have been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. Such material is made available on a non-profit basis for educational and discussion purposes only. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in 17 USC § 107. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Post Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Top • Page Up • Full Thread • Page Down • Bottom/Latest
1. To: out damned spot (#0)

I'm shocked I tell ya. They are going to have to raise taxes to support the illegal's. Who woulda guessed it? < /sarcasm >

WarHawk42 posted on 2005-05-06 01:17:57 ET Reply Trace

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. To: out damned spot (#0)
Ask any Californian if taxes go up because of illegal aliens. Ask bankrupt California if illegal aliens add to our economy. Ask any Californian how many hospitals have closed here because of illegal aliens. Ask any Californian if they're having to build new schools to accommodate illegal aliens. Ask any Californian how many cars they have had stolen that end up in Mexico. Ask any Californian if tuberculosis is spreading here. Ask any Californian if illegal aliens are taking jobs that Americans used to support their families with.

Illegal immigration will be the ruination of America if it continues at its present pace and if we elect another President like Jorge Arbusto.

indalay posted on 2005-05-06 01:20:52 ET Reply Trace

3. To: WarHawk42 (#1)
Now watch for the counter attack from the WSJ types. It's sad that that's the closest thing we have to a national, conservative paper.

unhyphenatedconservative posted on 2005-05-06 01:36:49 ET Reply Trace

4. To: unhyphenatedconservative (#3)
If there's one thing that wakes people up it's pocket book issues. The ones affected by this don't give a hoot what the WSJ types have to say. The good thing here is the blame has been laid where it belongs and the people can react to it.

WarHawk42 posted on 2005-05-06 02:00:03 ET Reply Trace

5. To: WarHawk42 (#1)

I'm shocked I tell ya. They are going to have to raise taxes to support the illegal's. Who woulda guessed it? < /sarcasm >
El Presidente de Mexico, Jorge Arbusto, can go to where the sun don't shine and take his fellow neocons [or whatever they're called] with him. Meanwhile, the Republic crumbles.

IndieTX posted on 2005-05-06 02:13:07 ET Reply Trace

6. To: IndieTX (#5)
There is hope. More and more people are being affected by the invasion and are fighting back. Just look at all the talk there is out in the open now compared to just a short time ago. It's not taboo to talk about the problems of immigration anymore.

Just like I've told my congressman. This is an issue that is not going to go away. They are going to have to deal with it. Sooner would be better than later.

WarHawk42 posted on 2005-05-06 02:22:52 ET Reply Trace

7. To: WarHawk42 (#1)

the largest and fastest growing Hispanic population of any county in Tennessee
I guess in a state like Tennessee that hasn't had "hispanics" at all up till only recently --- they might say something like this -- that "hispanics" are why taxes are going up. If you are in the SW though --- it's not "hispanics" that are raising taxes, they're also complaining about taxes going up. Even Mexicans here legally and who pay taxes are complaining. Taxes are going up because that's the only way to pay for this massive importation of the poverty- stricken from third world countries.

fitz posted on 2005-05-06 08:29:24 ET Reply Trace

8. To: unhyphenatedconservative (#3)
Drop the WSJ and get Investors Business Daily instead. Far more conservative. You will not have to put up with Tamara Jacoby and her open borders nonsense with IBD.

JTIDSGUY posted on 2005-05-06 08:55:02 ET Reply Trace

9. To: fitz (#7)
But don't you think people a waking up to this little scam? It isn't rocket science after all. All they have to do is look around them to see where the problem is.

WarHawk42 posted on 2005-05-06 13:48:01 ET Reply Trace

Top • Page Up • Full Thread • Page Down • Bottom/Latest

[Home] [Headlines] [Latest Articles] [Latest Comments] [Post] [Sign-in] [Setup] [Donate] [Help] [FAQ] [Register]

Please report web page problems, questions and comments to webmaster2@libertypost.org
Liberty Post • 12 Carroll Street, Suite #6022 • Westminster, Maryland 21157

---- Title Edited by Husker ----