Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

No Dream Act Support From Allentown City Council

No Dream Act Support From Allentown City Council

Matt Shelosky | WFMZ.com Reporter
    Posted: 11:28 pm EDT July 20, 2011

ALLENTOWN, Pa. -- WEB ONLY -- Discussion by one city council over whether to bring a resolution forward Wednesday night stopped any debate on the actual bill.

Allentown City Council members voted to not discuss a resolution supporting the Dream Act, a federal piece of legislation that would pave the way for some illegal alien students to earn temporary, and later full, United States citizenship.

The act was first introduced in the U.S. Senate in 2001 and was re-introduced in May of this year.

While all council members said they supported the federal bill, some had several reasons for not supporting the discussion of the bill.

"If I was in the U.S. House or Senate, I would vote for this in a heartbeat," said councilman Mike Schlossberg. "Let me be clear, I'm for the Dream Act, but I think it would be inappropriate to pass legislation that has no practical effect on the governing of our city."

Council president Michael D'Amore said he also supports the Dream Act, but didn't want to put council in the position of spending time on what could end up being a controversial, lengthy debate.

"I just personally don't believe it would be for the good of council to put itself in the position of debating this," said D'Amore.
    Councilwoman Jeanette Eichenwald said she believes this is just the type of issue council should discuss.

"Just because something is controversial doesn't mean we shouldn't spend time on it, and be able to express our views," said Eichenwald.

The resolution would go to leaders of the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives urging them to pass the Dream Act. The act would allow students who are illegal immigrants not by choice to find a path to citizenship through completion of high school, college or a military tour of service.

Councilman Julio Guridy said the act is needed to boost the economy as well as help immigrants who only know the United States, not their native country.

"We want these young people to contribute to the economy and be engaged citizens of this country," said Guridy. "While it may be a national issue, I'm sure there are some, if not many, people in Allentown that would be affected if this passed."

While it's unclear if the resolution will come up again, council members were open to a suggestion of issuing a letter of support rather than a resolution. However, no decision was immediately made.

http://www.wfmz.com/lehighvalleynews/28 ... etail.html
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Them Bstards!! I live in Easton, PA only 17 miles away from Allentown. What the hell were they thinking....

Quote Originally Posted by stealitall
    Them Bstards!! I live in Easton, PA only 17 miles away from Allentown. What the hell were they thinking....
    They are not thinking and that is a BIG problem with a lot of Americans. They react with their hearts not their minds without understanding or realizing the harm it will cause to our citizens & our country.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

This is sickening, considering state aid to universities (state owned & related) was cut by 18-20%. These people advocate taking money away from law abiding legal residents so illegal aliens can get a higher education??? To the detriment of LEGAL students?!?!?! Insanity!!

I could care less if illegal aliens can't afford to go to college, them's the breaks, can't afford it, ya don't go!! Taking money away from any American student who also can't afford it is ludicrous. Not ONE cent of taxpayer $$$ should be used to further subsidize illegal aliens!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "