Under paid immigrant denied pay check

wtnh.com
by Ali Reed
Updated: Tuesday, 20 Dec 2011, 6:47 PM EST
Video at link

WEST HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) - A former employee of a West Haven furniture store is filing a lawsuit, claiming she is owed more than $5,000 in unpaid wages.

The former employee of Mario's Discount Furniture store in West Haven claims she was never paid. She took her lawsuit to the owners of the store to let them know enough is enough.

Ana Aranda said she was employed by Mario's from March to April and during that time she earned less than $2 an hour. She said she worked 11-hour days and that when she brought her time sheet to her employers they accused her of stealing hours and refused to pay her.

"When I came to him and showed him the paper of my hours he said he's not going to pay me," said Aranda.

She said her boss told her he could pay her in furniture, an option Aranda said she knew not to take.

"I said no because they're going to think I stole it, because if they said I stole hours, he's going to say I stole the furniture," said Aranda.

An employee at Mario's said he was not aware of such a proposal.

Aranda's supporters said they've tried to talk to her boss, but said he won't acknowledge she ever worked for him.

"He told me she didn't work for me, I don't remember her," said supporter.

Those representing Aranda refused to comment on her immigration status. They did say Aranda has sufficient evidence to make her claim.

"We believe her immigration status is irrelevant to her complaint, and her claim that she is entitled to minimum wage and overtime regardless of her status," said Amanda Gutierrez, Yale law student.

Folks said Mario's isn't the only store in the area to exploit it's workers. They hope Aranda coming forward and having her voice heard will encourage other workers to do the same.

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/new_hav...nied-pay-check