I don't know if this article was ever posted here or not, but it's the first time I have seen it. It's not that the article is so interesting, but read the rules below on posting in response to this article. Then click on the link and read some of those comments.

Editorials
Why argue over things we can’t control?
This document was published online on Tuesday, June 19, 2007

e-mail this story
printable version

Reader View/By Damian Rodriguez

For the last few weeks, I have been listening and watching debates over proposed immigration reform.

The Democrats and Republicans appear to be trying to find a compromise. One that will please U.S. citizens and prevent backlash from the public. The Bush administration is ready and looking for an agreement that will please everybody without causing a total economic collapse. Conservative critics have blasted the reform as amnesty for illegal immigrants, while liberals have raised concerns that the guest-worker program would create a permanent underclass.

What I see and hear is a tap dance. But what is being done about it? Nothing. In other words, your representatives are not listening to you.

While all this is going on, we have our own problems at home ? Mini-Cassia is being torn apart. Last week, while scanning through the radio stations, I heard a local talk show host and his Latino guest discuss their points of view on immigration reform and why illegal immigrants should or should not be in this country. All I heard was arguing and, at times, yelling. They kept interrupting each other, and at the end of the program n nothing. No resolution and no solution.

As listeners called in, they were angry at the guest for even bringing up supporting the reform. Unfortunately, the people that support the guest do not listen to this type of program, so he was alone.

This week, out of curiosity, I listened to the same radio host arguing with a listener about immigration reform. They yelled at each other until the radio host had enough and hung up on the listener. Again, his supportive listeners called in to sooth his ideas and way of thinking.

I thought to myself, ?Is this a reflection of what our community really thinks? We know what the problem is, but what are we going to do about it.

If there is no solution, why argue with each other? It goes nowhere real fast. We need to reunite and vote for the representatives that will vote for us, not themselves. The elected representatives in charge and the ones to make the big decisions are in Washington and Boise.

Don’t blame me, I didn’t vote for them. However, I do have a solution. Don’t complain ? seize the opportunity to change things ? vote them out. Let’s not fight amongst ourselves, because we can’t change it. Our elected officials can. It’s time for a change. It’s time to rotate the crops.

With the exception of my military tour, I live in this community. Like most in the community, I have an allegience to basic principles. I follow the rules and regualtions governed by U.S. law. I take pride in my community. I love my community, and I don’t want to see it portrayed in a negative light. Negativism impedes economic and community growth. People can construe our community to be mean and backwards, and may not want to move or set up shop here. One can listen to our local talk show programs and make those assumptions.

Once a decision is made on immigration reform, some will agree with it and others will not. But whatever the decision, we will abide by the new law.

This is my community, and I know Mini-Cassia is a place where dreams can be realized with hard work and honesty. It is here we can work and educate ourselves to improve our quality of life, and reap the benefits of a good retirement. We are investing in our future, which is always beneficial to a community.

I want to believe that we live in a community that respects our origins, beliefs, traditions and aspirations. Those who have come from elsewhere to settle Mini-Cassia should be welcomed, not segregated. Yet no one should take advantage of a community allegiance to impose legal beliefs on this community.

The South Idaho Press does not allow comments to be posted directly to the web.
Your comment will be held in queue until it can be approved for display.
Reader comments at southidahopress.com are intended to promote civil debate
and discussion about life in Mini-Cassia. Comments are not edited, but
editors reserve the right to remove comments that violate the code of
conduct below.

No comment may contain:
* Potentially libelous statements.
* Obscene, explicit or racist language.
* Personal attacks, insults or threats.
* Commercial product promotions, including Web site addresses.
* Comments must pertain to the article
The comments below are from readers of southidahopress.com and in no way
represent the views of the South Idaho Press or Lee Enterprises.

The South Idaho Press reserves the right to publish any comments posted on southidahopress.com.

Reader's Comments
http://www.southidahopress.com/articles ... damian.txt