Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Sandwich: Selectmen OK hard line on illegal workers

http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/selectmenok8.htm

Selectmen OK hard line on illegal workers
    By GEORGE BRENNAN
    STAFF WRITER
    SANDWICH - Over the objections of human rights and immigration advocates, the selectmen voted last night to endorse a proposal to crack down on local businesses that employ illegal foreign workers.

Calling the measure fear-mongering, hostile and misguided, a half-dozen advocates called on the selectmen to withdraw the proposal to deny, suspend or revoke the license of a business found to have hired illegal foreign workers.

''Sandwich's reputation has been sullied by this warrant (article) both nationally and locally,'' Sandwich resident Judith Page said.

The objections failed to sway the selectmen.

In a 4-1 vote, the board voted to proceed with the home-rule petition drafted by the town's attorney. To become law, the home-rule petition requires town meeting approval on Sept. 25 and passage in the state Legislature.

Selectman Adam Chaprales cast the only vote against the measure last night because he said it depicts Sandwich as an ''un-business-friendly town.''

The proposal was defended by Selectman Douglas Dexter, who made the original motion. Dexter said illegal aliens are hurting local businesses such as local painters who can't compete with those who hire undocumented workers.

''They are frustrated because nothing is being done about illegal aliens,'' Dexter said. ''It's going to help the people who want to do honest business.''

In a letter dated Sept. 7, American Civil Liberties Union attorney Sarah R. Wunsch pointed to a likely legal challenge.

''No one knows the answer to the question of whether this law would be upheld as valid, but it would not be a good use of taxpayer dollars in Sandwich to take on an expensive legal battle,'' Wunsch wrote.

In a telephone interview, Wunsch criticized the proposed sanctions on Sandwich businesses. ''It appears to be a gesture and a hostile one at that,'' she said.

The selectmen had the town's attorney write the legislation in an attempt to avoid a protracted and expensive legal struggle.

At least one member of last night's audience predicted large legal bills in the future if the illegal worker proposal becomes law.

''You may have reduced the risk of a constitutional challenge, but you haven't reduced the risk of legal action,'' said attorney and Sandwich resident Raymond A. Yox.

Last month, the Puerto Rican Legal Defense Fund and the ACLU filed suit against Hazleton, Pa., over a recently adopted city ordinance aimed at business owners who hire undocumented workers.

One of the main contentions of the lawsuit is that immigration law falls under federal jurisdiction.

The Sandwich proposal ignores the root cause of the problem of businesses hiring foreign workers as cheap labor, said Patricia Marques, reading a letter from the president of the Cape Cod Immigration Center in Centerville. ''In the wake of 9/11, fear of terrorism and the fear-mongering of our elected leaders have heightened fears of foreigners living here,'' Marques said.

Jacqueline Fields, vice chairman of the Barnstable County Human Rights Commission and a Sandwich resident, urged the selectmen to reconsider the proposal. It could lead to discrimination against documented, legal immigrants, she said.

You can't build a wall around the town, Sandwich resident Shirley Lamson said in vowing to campaign against the measure at town meeting. ''Welcoming and encouraging diversity is an experience that we owe to our children.''

George Brennan can be reached at gbrennan@capecodonline.com.

(Published: September 8, 2006)
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

You can't build a wall around the town, Sandwich resident Shirley Lamson said in vowing to campaign against the measure at town meeting. ''Welcoming and encouraging diversity is an experience that we owe to our children.'' [quote:195xewoz]

Enforcing our immigration laws and making sure people are legal has nothing to do with encourage diversity!!!

Americans welcome LEGAL IMMIGRANTS LADY!! Their diverse!!

As far as welcoming, I don't welcome illegals. I want them to feel uncomfortable. They broke the laws of this country and are criminals!
    [/quote:195xewoz]
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Sometimes people need to be reminded we do have federal laws, they just aren't being enforced.
    Man, the ACLU is busy nowadays aren't they?
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Sorry, I put the quote around what I was thinking. Just shows how frustrating this issue is to me!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

In a letter dated Sept. 7, American Civil Liberties Union attorney Sarah R. Wunsch pointed to a likely legal challenge.
    Is this all they can do is sue? Pathetic. I hope someday soon the ACLU suffers a horrible fate by being abolished. When they do, I'm going to be there to poor an entire case of Miller beer on their gravestone.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Good for them! Finally someone in this state is taking action.
    Deportacion? Si Se Puede!

Quote Originally Posted by anniealone
    Good for them! Finally someone in this state is taking action.
    I didn't realize this was Massachusetts What does ole Teddy think of that?

Annie - Perhaps I've asked before but what keeps Kennedy in his job? Is anyone worthwhile running against him?
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

You can't build a wall around the town, Sandwich resident Shirley Lamson said in vowing to campaign against the measure at town meeting. ''Welcoming and encouraging diversity is an experience that we owe to our children.''

Allowing millions of illegals to flood our country is "welcoming and encouraging diversity"????
    You've got to be kidding. Shirley Lamson, me thinks you are an idiot!
    I hope they all move in next to you! I can see it now, 30 to a house, trash in the yard, loud music, etc. Hey Shirley, enjoying the diversity??
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>