Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Other groups push for immigration reform

http://www.statesman.com

Other groups push for immigration reform
    Not all illegal immigrants are from Latin America; a number of them are from Asia, Europe.

By Eunice Moscoso
    WASHINGTON BUREAU
    Sunday, September 10, 2006

WASHINGTON — There are certain things you can guarantee at a Capitol Hill immigration hearing: a forceful speech about national sovereignty, a partisan debate over the meaning of amnesty and, without fail, some green-and-white T-shirts emblazoned with the slogan "Legalize the Irish."

The Irish Lobby for Immigration Reform, which deploys members to attend congressional hearings, is one of many non-Hispanic organizations pushing for legislation to give illegal immigrants a path to citizenship.

Although most of the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in the United States are from Mexico and other Latin American countries, 1.5 million are from Asia, 600,000 are from Europe and Canada, and 400,000 are from Africa and other nations, according to estimates from the Pew Hispanic Center, a nonpartisan research organization.

Groups representing many regions — from the large nations of India and China to the small island states of the Caribbean — are pressuring Congress to change immigration laws.

Niall O'Dowd, chairman of the Irish Lobby for Immigration Reform, said his group was formed last year in response to the growing struggles of Irish illegal immigrants in the United States, which he estimates number 50,000 to 60,000.

O'Dowd said that many Irish came to the United States illegally and can no longer travel home because of security measures imposed after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, often missing funerals and family emergencies.

In addition, he said, many have not been able to renew their driver's licenses, leading to situations in which parents cannot drive their kids to school.

"We want to impress on all these congressmen that this is a human issue," O'Dowd said.

The Irish group endorses a bipartisan measure that passed the Senate this year which establishes a large guest worker program and a path to citizenship for current illegal immigrants.

Under the measure, illegal immigrants who have been in the United States five years or longer could stay and eventually apply for U.S. citizenship if they have no criminal record, pay more than $3,000 in fines and back taxes and meet English requirements.

The House passed a significantly different immigration bill in December. The House bill makes an illegal presence in the United States a felony and does not include a temporary worker program or a path to legalization for illegal immigrants.

Traci Hong, deputy director for policy at the Asian American Justice Center, a Washington-based advocacy group, said that rewriting immigration law is a pivotal issue for Asians in the United States.

Hong's group opposes the House bill for several reasons, including that it does not address the backlogs in the family immigration system, a major issue for Asian immigrants.

A parent who is a U.S. citizen petitioning for his or her son or daughter from the Philippines must wait about 14 years before he or she can legally immigrate to the United States, Hong said.

Norman Eng, a spokesman for the New York Immigrant Coalition, said that the group works with immigrants from many nations, including Haiti and Korea, who are all pushing for Congress to act on immigration.

"It is, unfortunately, something that gets lost in the debate, that it's not just a Mexican and Latino issue," he said.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Traci Hong, deputy director for policy at the Asian American Justice Center, a Washington-based advocacy group, said that rewriting immigration law is a pivotal issue for Asians in the United States.
    My wife and children are LEGAL immigrants from Philippines, an Asian country, who waited in line and followed the rules. They arrived in the US in April, just in time to witness the obscenity of illegal aliens marching in the streets of America under the Mexican, Honduran and Salvodoran flags, flaunting the laws of this country. Just in time to witness the idocy of the US Senate's proposed amnesty. To my wife, and me, the pivotal issue is NOT rewriting the law, the issue is enforcing the current law - fairly, irregardless of country of origin.

I can certainly understand the frustration of those who wait in line for years to immigrate legally, as long as 25 years in the Philippines, even more in some countries, while the US government routinely exempts Mexicans and other latinos from the law. But these advocacy groups for illegal aliens from Asia and other regions do not represent the views of most legal immigrants from those regions.

I have a Phillipino, which married into our family and it was very difficult to bring her children from her first marriage over. It took many years and a lot of money. We started to wonder if the kids were going to be adults by the time they go here.

Deport the Irish Too! I don't care where they came from. Throw out the Criminals! Every one of them.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I am petitioning for my fiancee in the Dominican Republic. I am a U.S. citizen and the wait is at 3 years. We are doing it the right way. You don't know how many times that I have heard to bring her through mexico illegally. Bush has got to go!!

London found out that bomb making materials, and how to instructions, came from the Irish rebellion gangs, giving them to the Muslims in England.

Yes, deport the Irish too!
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

I reiterate!

ANY ILLEGAL alien from any country, is a criminal by definition. They are breaking our laws, and I don't care what their justification is.

They all need to go home.

Now.

TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

Change the immigration laws to allow more educated and skilled labor in the country and allow them to get residency. Make it easier for those American residents here to bring their spouses and children here. Secure the borders and do not allow others in and increase penalties for those who assist them.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

They ALL need to go!
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee