Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Worthington Trying To Heal After Raid

It always amazes me how some Americans can be so utterly blind and stupid!

http://www.keloland.com/News/NewsDetail ... Id=0,53333

Worthington Trying To Heal After Raid

It's been just over a week since federal immigration officials raided the Swift meat packing plant in Worthington and arrested more than 200 suspected illegal immigrants.

Officials in Worthington who work with immigrants say the events of the past week have really broken down the trust within the Hispanic community, and they are trying to come together to provide for the needs of those families who in some cases are still afraid to leave their homes.

Worthington hasn't been the same since immigration officials arrested more than 200 suspected illegal immigrants last week at the Swift meat-packing plant.

"We work hard all year long to bring people together and this week has done a lot to rip people apart," Nobles County Integration Collabrative Coordinator Sharon Johnson said.

Sharon Johnson is the coordinator for Nobles County Integration Collaborative. She is working with other community members to help the families who still live in Worthington and were impacted by the arrests.

"People were afraid to leave their homes - they wouldn't go to the store," Johnson said.

And that's why community members are delivering food door to door for immigrants who didn't want to go out in public. To help rebuild the trust in town, Spanish speaking volunteers are also handing out food.

"They would go out together to the homes so people would feel safe enough to open the door," Johnson said.

Johnson knows it will take time to build up trust with the Hispanic community again but she says as the Worthington community comes together to help the families, it can also be a time to heal.

"This is a challenging time but it can be a time to unite us," Johnson said.

Johnson says many community groups met last week to talk about the needs in Worthington.

In addition to food, they are also working to provide the Hispanic community with legal advice and telephone numbers to track down relatives.

Once again, another sob story. ICE is the villain, not Swift. The illegal immigrants were victims of our law enforcement agents just doing their jobs. Now their family members left behind are suffering because they are afraid the immigration boogeyman will jump out from behind the cheez-wiz at the local grocery store. Sorry, but though I feel sorry for the children who don't truly understand what is happening, I do not feel sorry for the law-breaking adults who not only know they are breaking the law, but are no doubt villainizing ICE and the rest of the anti-illegal immigration movement to their children. Same goes for the press.
    THE POOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT IN MY AVATAR CROSSED OVER THE WRONG BORDER FENCE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TyRANTosaur
    Sorry, but though I feel sorry for the children who don't truly understand what is happening, I do not feel sorry for the law-breaking adults who not only know they are breaking the law, but are no doubt villainizing ICE and the rest of the anti-illegal immigration movement to their children. Same goes for the press.

THIS is also how i feel, I love kids, but not the parents that put them in any danger. no matter how big or how small the danger is. and that goes for any parent, legal or illegal

There are always going to be some who don't know the extent of the damage being done by illegal invaders. And some do-gooders actually believe they can make nice relations with them. Pity..., they should only know the reality.
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

If they were legal immigrants and not criminal illegal aliens then perhaps they wouldn't be afraid to leave their houses and go to the store.

Nobles County Integration Collabrative Coordinator
    Say that 5 times quickly!