Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

US travel rules worry Mexico

http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/Displa ... 513126.xml

US travel rules worry Mexico, Caribbean resorts
    Web posted at: 1/25/2007 1:31:26
    Source ::: REUTERS
    MEXICO CITY • Beach resorts in Mexico and the Caribbean are fretting about a dip in tourism and some are offering incentives such as free massages as new US security rules kick in requiring US vacationers to travel with their passports.

Concerned about a potential drop in visitors because most US citizens do not own passports, hotels in Jamaica, Aruba, St Lucia, the Bahamas and Anguilla are giving out free local tours, food and drinks credit and car rental vouchers.

The new rules, meant to tighten border security, require US, Mexican and Canadian citizens to present passports when travelling by air to the United States from locations in North, Central and South America, the Caribbean and Bermuda.

Until now, US vacationers have not needed passports to head off for beach holidays in Mexico and the Caribbean. A drivers license or other ID was good enough. Mexico and some 12 Caribbean destinations do not normally require valid passports from US visitors, but are affected by the new US rules, which took effect on Tuesday. In the Bahamas, some hotels are offering to reimburse US visitors for the cost of their passports.

Airlines, travel agencies and hotel chains in the United States have blitzed consumers with ads in recent months to remind them to get passports when making vacation plans.

Americans account for half of the tourist market in the Caribbean.

Mexico’s government reckons it could lose up to two per cent of its foreign tourism business this year, equivalent to 318,000 vacationers or around $250-m.

First of all, I think that they are kidding themselves. It is not difficult to get a passport, and I think plenty of us have one. I don't want to go to Mexico because I don't want to get in the crossfire of some crazy drug cartel or criminal. IWhy would I want to go to a country where they are kidnapping or beheading people? Besides, why would I want to support the economy of a country that I do not respect? And with the influx of Mexican citizens, I get to see Mexico everyday...for free (well kind of).

MEXICO CITY • Beach resorts in Mexico and the Caribbean are fretting about a dip in tourism and some are offering incentives such as free massages as new US security rules kick in requiring US vacationers to travel with their passports.

I'm sorry but i have to ask. I wonder if those free massages are the kind that come with a "Happy Ending"

While I hate to see mexico lose ANY of it's own money making capabilities, this is a step in the right direction for our security. After a while, when more people do get passports (or whatever will be needed in the future) I'm sure the tourism will come back full force.
    Just because you're used to something doesn't make it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip

I'm sorry but i have to ask. I wonder if those free massages are the kind that come with a "Happy Ending"
    Skip....shame shame shame

Saturday » January 27 » 2007

Americans OK with passport law

Associated Press

Saturday, January 27, 2007

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) -- Americans flying to Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico are complying with a new law requiring them to show their passports to re-enter the United States, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security said Friday.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection statistics show since the law took effect Tuesday, only 164 passengers out of 80,058 -- or 0.01 per cent -- did not have a passport, the Homeland Security Department said.

U.S. travellers, who have long been able to travel with just a driver's licence to Canada, the Caribbean islands and Mexico, must now display a passport when returning to the United States by air. More than 70 per cent of U.S. citizens do not have passports.

"So far, it's been a very smooth transition," Homeland Security Department spokesman Jarrod Agen said by telephone from Washington.

Travellers arriving at airports without their passports have been reminded of the new rule and handed a passport application but have not been penalized, Agen said. Officials have not set a deadline for imposing a penalty, nor have they determined what it would be, he said.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

Copyright © 2007 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by edstate
    While I hate to see mexico lose ANY of it's own money making capabilities, this is a step in the right direction for our security. After a while, when more people do get passports (or whatever will be needed in the future) I'm sure the tourism will come back full force.
    I have to disagree with this. I think the American people are smarter than that. We are tired of getting run over here, and we will let our tourism dollar speak for itself.

Due to the way Mexico meddles in our government business and encourages and rewards illegal immigration, I wouldn't go to Mexico even if you gave me a free, all expense paid vacation to go there.

Not now and not under these conditions.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)