Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Activists protest Waukegan immigration enforcement decision

Activists protest Waukegan immigration enforcement decision

By Michelle Gallardo
    July 2, 2007 - An effort in north suburban Waukegan to let local police officers enforce federal immigration laws is meeting with strong disapproval from local Hispanic leaders and advocates. Today, they outlined their plan to protest the proposal.

Protesters were in Waukegan Monday because the city is one of three Illinois communities petitioning the federal government for the power to process deportation applications for convicted felons. But the application has brought on a firestorm of criticism, mainly because those who oppose it believe that local officials will use it to seek out, arrest and deport undocumented workers at will.
    It has been nearly a week since thousands of Waukegan residents turned out to protest their city council's decision to allow the police department to apply to a federal program that trains local officers to enforce federal immigration law. Monday, activists within the Hispanic community in Waukegan gathered again to ask the city council and the mayor to reconsider.

"We have other districts around the country that are doing the opposite. They are passing resolutions making their districts sanctuaries, or counties sanctuaries," said Emma Lozano, People Without Borders.

But, according to Mayor Richard Hyde, the sole purpose is to expedite the deportation of undocumented aliens who have been convicted of a felony.

"When they are convicted the city will do the paperwork and you are done," said Hyde said.

Furthermore, the mayor rejects the notion the application will result in a witch hunt of undocumented workers.

"I want to expedite the people who are criminals and get them out of Waukegan," said the mayor.

But Lozano insists that the application sends the wrong message to residents, nearly half of which are of Hispanic origin.

"It will lead to more abuse. Who will call the police saying I saw a crime or this happened to me if they are afraid they will be arrested and deported, because there are mixed status families," said Lozano.

The mayor says that no raids or checkpoints will be conducted.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sectio ... id=5443718
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I was at that meeting. Emma Lozano brought up poor Elvira who is only fighting to be with her son. I found her to be a very abrasive person. She made threats and demands against our city and she doesn't even live here.

Hopefully there will be video/pictures tomorrow that I can post. This was the wildest meeting on this issue I have ever been to.

We're going to need alipac help! ONE alderman brought up at the end of the meeting that the resolution to apply for 287g should be voted for again. He bought their sob stories and threats. Therefore, it will be voted for again in 2 weeks.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

But Lozano insists that the application sends the wrong message to residents, nearly half of which are of Hispanic origin

Hispanic origin? Or Illegal? What would legal Hispanics have to fear with this. Please, Ms. Lozano, don't lump the two together.
    http://www.soldiersangels.com Adopt a Soldier

"This is our culture - fight for it. This is our flag - pick it up. This is our country - take it back." - Congressman Tom Tancredo

MW
    It has been nearly a week since thousands of Waukegan residents turned out to protest their city council's decision to allow the police department to apply to a federal program that trains local officers to enforce federal immigration law.
    In another thread a poster from Waukegan said a lot of these protesters were being brought in from outside of the community.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by fedupinwaukegan
    I was at that meeting. Emma Lozano brought up poor Elvira who is only fighting to be with her son. I found her to be a very abrasive person. She made threats and demands against our city and she doesn't even live here.

Hopefully there will be video/pictures tomorrow that I can post. This was the wildest meeting on this issue I have ever been to.

We're going to need alipac help! ONE alderman brought up at the end of the meeting that the resolution to apply for 287g should be voted for again. He bought their sob stories and threats. Therefore, it will be voted for again in 2 weeks.

Someone needs to make it very clear at these meetings that Elvira is not an issue for your city to concern itself with and your meetings should not be used as a platform to further that cause....especially coming from a woman who does not live in your city, and is guilty of violating numerous laws. The point being "Why are we entertaining a criminal?"
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We're going to need alipac help!
    Can you throw up contact info? And some more specifics of whom to contact?
    http://www.soldiersangels.com Adopt a Soldier

"This is our culture - fight for it. This is our flag - pick it up. This is our country - take it back." - Congressman Tom Tancredo

Here's the Mayor and the Aldermen's e-mail addresses. Thanks for any help you guys can give!

Mayor Richard Hyde~ Mayor@ci.waukegan.il.us

Aldermen: rick.larsen@ci.waukegan.il.us, riverafriends@yahoo.com, moisio3rdward@sbcglobal.net, mayor@ci.waukegan.il.us, jafig8645@hotmail.com, john.balen@ci.waukegan.il.us, edithnewsome@aol.com, tenpas6@yahoo.com, pneedham@iconnect.net, aldermancunningham@sbcglobal.net

Aldermen Cunningham and Figuroa (jafig8645) were the original 2 that voted against 287g. At this last meeting, Alderman John Balen wanted to make a motion to rescind our original vote, and vote again.
    Bless my friends and family, and God Bless America!