Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

ME: Woman sentenced for immigration fraud

Comments are being left after the article at the source link.

[Sorry Jean, I think this is the 'other' Portland - eg. Maine, not my area OR... I edited the thread title]

~~~
    Woman sentenced for immigration fraud
    Oct 16, 2007
    Portland woman who moved to the United States from Canada has been sentenced in U.S. District Court to 12 months and one day in jail on immigration charges.

Dona Daoud Adam, 38, moved to Canada in 1993 and obtained citizenship there in 1999 using her real name, Amina Ismail-Youssouff. In 1999 the Somali native moved to the United States, changed her name and obtained asylum status under fraudulent pretenses by failing to disclose she was a Canadian resident and already had received immigration benefits in that country.

She moved to Maine in 2002 and used her fraudulent status to receive welfare benefits. Adam, a former board member of the Immigrant Legal Advocacy Project of Maine, pleaded guilty June 28 to two counts of making false statements to obtain food stamps, Medicaid benefits, federal student financial aid and other benefits.

She also had pleaded guilty in February 2006 to making false statements to an immigration officer when she was interviewed for permanent resident status in the United States.

In addition to the prison sentence, Adam was ordered to pay $120,917.69 in restitution. She will be deported when she completes her prison term.

http://news.mainetoday.com/updates/017261.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    U.S. Department of Justice
    United States AttorneyDistrict of Maine
    100 Middle Street (207) 780-3257
    6th Floor, East Tower TTY (207) 780-3060
    Portland, ME 04101 Fax (207) 780-3304
    www.usdoj.gov/usao/me
    For Immediate Release Contact:
    James Chapman October 16, 2007 Assistant U.S. Attorney
    Tel: (207) 780-3257

http://portland.fbi.gov/dojpressrel/200 ... 101607.pdf

Portland Woman Sentenced on Immigration and Fraud Charges
    Paula D. Silsby, United States Attorney for the District of Maine, announced today that on October 15, 2007, Chief Judge George Z. Singal sentenced Dona Daoud Adam, also known as Amina Ismail-Youssouff, in U.S. District Court in Portland, to 12 months and one day in jail to be followed by three years of supervised release. Adam previously pleaded guilty on June 28, 2007 to using an immigration document obtained under false pretenses, lying to an immigration officer, and two counts of making false statements to U.S. government agencies to obtain food stamps, TANF and Parents as Scholars funds, Medicaid benefits and federal student financial aid. In addition to the prison sentence, Judge Singal also ordered that the defendant pay $120,917.69 in restitution to the victims in this case. He also ordered that the defendant be deported from the United States when she completes her prison term.
    Originally from the country of Somalia, Adam, 38 years old, of Portland moved to Canada in 1993 using her real name, “Amina Ismail-Youssouff,â€