Check out the video by clicking on the link at the bottom of the story:
--------------

Politico
November 06, 2007
Read More: Immigration

Clinton hedges on licenses, again

Hillary, on CNN just now, declined to give a clear answer on whether she personally supports state policies of giving drivers licenses to illegal immigrants. Edwards hasn't personally said he supports that policy either, though his staff has said he does.

So why muddy the waters on this one, despite the enormous benefits to both for not being perceived as ducking the question?

Because the policy is just tremendously unpopular, and an emotional issue that could give Republicans a lifeline in the general election.

An important read on this point: Jim Pinkerton, [link to his story through link below] who was the Bush oppo guy who helped do in Michael Dukakis on the issue of prisoner release in 1988, writes today that Hillary (and by implication all the Democrats except Dodd) has been "grievously injured" by failing to oppose the Spitzer plan.

UPDATE: The full transcript of Hillary on CNN is after the jump. Her position seems to be that the advisability of the policy "depends on the state."

AND: The Obama campaign sends over a YouTube video, which I've posted above.

CROWLEY: If I wrote a story that said: "Absent a broad illegal immigration bill, Hillary Clinton agrees about giving driver's licenses to illegal immigrants," is that correct?

CLINTON: No. What I have said is that I support what governors are trying to do. And governors are on the front lines because of the failures to get comprehensive immigration reform.

There are already eight states that issues driver's licenses without any verification of citizenship. That is a decision that the governors and legislatures and the people of those states have made. I understand…

CROWLEY: But you see why people think…

CLINTON: Well, but you know, Candy…

CROWLEY: … that you are not answering the question.

CLINTON: Well, but you know, Candy, well, but I think that if you go back and look at the complexity of this issue, I don’t think a lot of these hard questions lend themselves to raising your hand. And I know that that’s easier in a 30 second context to try to do.

I think the fact that governors are being forced into this position is really unfortunate. They should not be making immigration policy. The federal government should be making immigration policy and that’s what I’m going to try to do as president again and I do not believe that in the context of federal immigration reform that that would be an issue that governors would have to contend with.

CROWLEY: So it’s – I know it’s not a yes or no question to you but you’ve had some time here and the problem is that people can’t quite get a hold of is for a governor at this time, do you think it’s a good idea for them to offer drivers’ licenses to illegal immigrants?

CLINTON: It depends upon what state they’re in. It depends upon what they think the risks are. You know. A governor of New York that has a lot of immigrants, many of whom we know are not their legally, has to worry about security. A governor of another state where that’s not a problem doesn’t.

This issue has been so politicized and I understand that because you can score points. You can score all kinds of political demagogic points but the fact is if we don’t have comprehensive immigration reform, which for me includes toughening the borders, much harder sanctions on employers, doing more to help local communities that are stuck with the bill on all kinds of services. And bringing immigrants out of the shadows.

And if they ever committed a crime where they came from or here, immediately deport them. But for the others, have a tough path to earned legalization. Pay back taxes. Pay fines. Learn English. Wait in line.

And once you got somebody on the record registered, deported the criminals, instead they had to keep on the right side of the law, keep making a living and do all of these other things I’ve outlined, that would be the appropriate time to give them some kind of license.

But I understand – I’m not going to be second guessing governors who have to do the hard work of figuring out what’s best for their state.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/ ... jured.html