ACLU cautions cities about ID requirements at the polls

By Rene Cizio, The News-Herald

PUBLISHED: August 3, 2008

ALLEN PARK — The American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan is contacting some municipalities to ensure that voters' rights are not compromised in upcoming elections.

In the summer edition of the city's newsletter, under voting information, it reads, "State law now requires that you show photo ID when voting at the polls."
That information, though correct, can be misleading, according to the ACLU.

Michigan law requires voters who have a picture identification of any kind to show it. However, if they do not have a photo ID, they can sign an affidavit stating so and still vote.

In a three-page letter to the city clerk, the ACLU wrote:

"We do not believe that your office intended to discourage registered voters without photo ID from going to the polls on election day. We are concerned, however, that the clerk's office may not fully understand the affidavit option and the ease with which voters without photo ID may vote by signing the affidavit."

City Clerk Michael Mizzi said it is a simple misunderstanding.

"All of my precinct workers and staff know that if voters don't have photo ID, then they just have to fill out the affidavit," he said.

Mizzi said the wording in the city's newsletter is similar to what other communities have as well and was not intended to deter any voters.

"I am always advocating for more voters," he said.

Mizzi said he is working with Allen Park Public Schools on a program he is developing — called "Bring a voter to vote" — to encourage more voters. He said he would like to extend the program to other school districts as well.

According to the Michigan Secretary of State's Office, 370,000 of Michigan's 7 million registered voters do not have picture ID.

"It's important for all municipalities in Michigan to give correct and complete information not only to voters, but to all poll workers," said Mary Bejian, deputy director of the ACLU of Michigan.

"The ACLU is committed to working with all cities in Michigan to ensure that no voter is discouraged from voting due to misinformation. Unfortunately, we expect that our letter to Allen Park is only the first of such letters we write this election season."

Anyone who falsely signs an affidavit in order to vote is guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to one year in jail and/or a fine of $2,000.

Mizzi said he already has printed more than enough affidavits for all of the 16 precincts he runs in the city.

"I encourage all registered voters to come out and vote," Mizzi said. "I hope and expect that we'll break voting records this season."

The city has about 20,000 registered voters.

http://www.thenewsherald.com/stories/08 ... 3003.shtml