Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Governor Sonny Perdue Vetoes Forty-One Bills

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 Contact: Office of Communications 404-651-7774

Governor Sonny Perdue Vetoes Forty-One Bills

ATLANTA – Governor Sonny Perdue today vetoed 41 bills passed by the General Assembly this year to ensure that Georgia is governed by well-crafted laws and sound policy decisions without unintended consequences.

The following House bills were vetoed: HB148, HB162, HB413, HB451, HB48, HB69, HB76, HB91, HB105, HB117, HB202, HB218, HB229, HB242, HB327, HB363, HB374, HB386, HB430, HB441, HB467, HB501, HB502, HB509, HB529, HB549, HB559, HB727, HB807, and HB847.

The following Senate bills were vetoed: SB14, SB15, SB100, SB135, SB193, SB224, SB225, SB251, SB310, SB311, and SR363.

Summary messages for each vetoed bill are provided below.

Several bills that combine unrelated tax incentives to different organizations and sectors of the state’s business sector passed the legislature this session. Tax bills deal with unique issues and should be considered individually. Disparate provisions should not be logrolled together to combine an otherwise acceptable provision with an untenable one, as such practice often results in the total bill being unacceptable. I support many of the provisions contained in the bills listed below, but other provisions within the same legislation prevent me from signing them into law. The General Assembly has long held a policy of strictly adhering to the single subject rule when proposing tax incentive bills: I fully support that practice. For these reasons, I VETO the following bills:

B 15 SB 15 seeks to increase the penalties for driving without a valid license. In addition to other punishments, it provides that a first offense would result in a misdemeanor to be punished by imprisonment of at least two days and not more than twelve days. It also authorizes a $500 to $1,000 fine for first offenses. This broad provision would catch not only those who willfully drive without any valid license, but also persons who move into the State with a valid out-of-state driver’s license that have not obtained a Georgia driver’s license within 30 days of establishing residency. Though judges may suspend the period of imprisonment if the new resident had a valid driver’s license from another state and had good cause for not yet obtaining a Georgia one, SB 15 does not prevent that new resident from being booked and fingerprinted. I fear an unintended consequence of this legislation, as drafted, would subject persons with valid out-of-state driver’s licenses to stout criminal penalties even absent the commission of a willful act. Thus, although I support the intent of tracking persons that possess no valid driver’s license, the potential harms of this legislation cause me to VETO SB 15.
    http://www.gov.state.ga.us/press/2007/press1441.shtml

Not for the reasons I wanted, but I'll take it.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Move to NEW Section for "Americans Killed by Illegals."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123