Dear Mr. XXXXX:

Thank you for sharing with me your thoughts and concerns regarding immigration reform. This is an important issue, and I appreciate hearing from my New York constituents on this critical matter.

Our immigration system is in crisis, and we need to find a thoughtful and effective solution that combines a number of reforms. A comprehensive reform to our immigration laws must have, as essential ingredients: a strengthening of our borders, greater cross-cooperation with our neighbors, strict but fair enforcement of our laws, federal assistance to our state and local governments, strict penalties for those who exploit undocumented workers, and a path to earned legal status for those who are here, working hard, paying taxes, respecting the law, and willing to meet a high bar.

Along with these changes, it is imperative that we repair those broken portions of our immigration system that irrevocably damage families and force citizens and lawful immigrants to live apart from their spouses and children overseas. This is why I introduced an amendment during consideration of the immigration reform bill that would have taken steps to protect the sanctity of families. Our American values demand no less.

I am deeply disappointed that we still have not solved our nation's immigration crisis. We need comprehensive immigration reform, and I hope that we can achieve legislation that secures our borders, respects the rule of law, and honors both our history as a nation of immigrants and our core American values of respect and compassion. Balancing all of these interests is not easy, but it is a debate we must take on. That is why I voted for cloture on the immigration bill, a procedure that would have kept the immigration reform process moving forward in the Senate. Unfortunately, the bill failed to achieve the 60 votes necessary to continue.

The thoughts and concerns of my constituents are very important to me and I thank you for taking the time to write. For updates on this and the many important issues being considered by the United States Senate, please check my website at http://clinton.senate.gov .

Sincerely,

Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton