Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Border standoff: Dangers grow along Rio Grande

http://www.elpasotimes.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 90320/1001

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Border standoff
    Dangers grow along Rio Grande

Ramon Renteria
    El Paso Times
    Sunday, January 29, 2006

SIERRA BLANCA -- Lolo Lopez keeps a low profile when Hudspeth County sheriff's deputies patrol the border near his ranch.

Lopez fears that armed Mexican drug smugglers, often concealed by thick 15-foot salt cedar shrubs on the banks of the Rio Grande, might mistake him for an informant.

"They might shoot me when I'm alone," Lopez said.

Lopez, a rancher on the border for 20 years, is always fixing fences that smugglers knock down.

"The narco-traffickers must think they own the river," Lopez said. "They don't even let (undocumented workers) pass through here."

The anger in Lopez's voice is also detected in Hudspeth County Sheriff Arvin West, who worries that his deputies might soon end up in body bags.

Escalating confrontations with armed Mexican drug smugglers are sowing fear and frustration, anger and insecurity in rural Hudspeth County, the state's third-largest, with almost 5,000 square miles.

"We're going to get somebody killed," West said.

West, 40, an outspoken Sierra Blanca native with a pit-bull temper, has been bombarded by national media attention since his deputies chased three sport utility vehicles loaded with marijuana to the river six days ago.

Sheriff's deputies said they encountered Mexicans in military uniforms on U.S. soil, armed with high-caliber weapons and driving a military-style Humvee. Mexican authorities denied their soldiers were involved in guarding illegal drug shipments.

"Let's clarify that it was the Mexican military. There's no doubt in my mind," West said. "Let's quit lying, work together and stop this crap."

Though many politicians have requested formal investigations into the Hudspeth County incident and other reported intrusions along the 2,000-mile U.S.-Mexico border, federal officials had not contacted West three days after the latest incident.

In November, Border Patrol agents and sheriff's deputies confronted men dressed in Mexican military uniforms, driving military vehicles and dragging a dump truck loaded with 3 tons of marijuana back across the Rio Grande with a bulldozer, earlier reports said.

The most-recent incident happened along an unguarded and isolated section of the border, 12 miles south of the Tiger Truck Stop on Interstate 10, where the river is so shallow and narrow that drivers trying to avoid import duties sometimes drive 18-wheel trucks from the United States into Mexico. Here, drug runners use rarely patrolled dirt roads in desertlike terrain to safely transport drug shipments to Interstate 10 and then to stash houses in El Paso or markets in other major cities.

Hudspeth County Deputy Sheriff Kelly Legarreta said he saw a military-style Humvee with an armed man in military garb on the U.S. side of the Rio Grande. One SUV became stuck in the river. Civilians unloaded marijuana and then set the vehicle on fire. Another SUV made it into Mexico, and a third was abandoned with 1,474 pounds of marijuana on board.

"I had never seen them do that before," Legarreta said.

West acknowledged that his 11 deputies, armed with side arms and shotguns, cannot match drug smugglers heavily armed with automatic and high-caliber weapons. He often accuses Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff of neglecting to give local law enforcement agencies adequate resources to protect the border.

"This moron has no clue of what's going on down here," West said. "He micromanages the U.S. Border Patrol, does press releases and reports to the president and says these are the issues when he's never been down here."

West refuses to embrace the Minutemen border watchdog group, preferring instead that trained personnel do the job.

The sheriff suggests federal law enforcement agencies compete too much for the credit for intercepting drug shipments.

"It's a dog-eat-dog game out there now," West said. "The glory is irrelevant to us. My guys get paid the same whether they catch one load of dope or 100,000 loads."

The evidence room that West cleaned out a month ago is filled again from the floor to the ceiling with marijuana and other contraband.

Estimates of drug seizures in Hudspeth County last year were not immediately available. The Drug Enforcement Administration says on its Web site that drug-trafficking organizations move significant quantities of cocaine and marijuana through West Texas and Southern New Mexico.

West credits Texas Gov. Rick Perry with giving sheriffs seed money to help secure the border. West has been able to pay his men overtime with the extra money, he said, but the extra workload is straining his deputies.

"I've screamed, I've hollered, I've cussed," West said. "There's solutions to these problems, but it's a matter of getting everybody working together to get it done."

In Sierra Blanca, population 500, artist and gift-shop owner JoAnn Elder and her family find themselves talking more about what's been happening south of town.

"This is a big deal, and it has gradually gotten worse. But I don't know if people are up in arms and scared about it," Elder said. "The Mexican government is disowning these people in uniforms, but who knows?"

Her son, Joe Elder, goes fishing along the border once in a while but now worries about his safety.

"It kind of worries everybody," Elder said.

Misty Wilbourn, another Sierra Blanca resident, worries that drug smuggling is making life in Hudspeth County more dangerous.

"You don't feel safe anymore," Wilbourn said. "The Border Patrol, sheriff's office and state troopers help each other, but still they are outmanned and out-gunned."

At Angie's Restaurant in Fort Hancock, diners talk about how drug smuggling is old news in the small farming town near the U.S.-Mexico border, about 50 miles east of El Paso.

"I haven't seen much change in the last 20 years," said Gene Henderson, a Fort Hancock farmer who says drug smugglers routinely cross his property.

Henderson has sometimes spotted men in uniform up and down the border on the Mexican side.

"It's all politics, all the way to the top here and the other side," he said.

Henderson also wonders whether simply injecting more money and personnel into border law enforcement is a realistic solution.

"How much money are we going to have to fork out to keep our borders safe?" he asked.

Ramon Renteria may be reached at rrenteria@elpasotimes.com; 546-6146.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"This moron has no clue of what's going on down here," West said. "He micromanages the U.S. Border Patrol, does press releases and reports to the president and says these are the issues when he's never been down here."

The good Sheriff West needs help now. Oh, Bush?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Mexican Standoff

I'm sitting here in the ever-troubled US-mexican border and I can tell you something about the standoff last week. THey are good. whoever is in charge of all these situations sure has a nerve. The word here on the border is that the soldiers were corrupt US military. Don't be surprised if Washington is backing this nonsense. You have to understand that american business interests are at a breaking point here. You see, american companies who do business in mexico don't have to abide to any environmental issues. what i mean is that the can literary dump any chemical they want into any place they want. That is the reason why mexicans have developed weird diseases lately. A perfect example is their organs simply disintergrating!! I lost a baby boy to a anacephalie a few years ago. They told me after a very thorough investigation on my part that a Ford plant in mexico was dumping chemicals galore into the Rio Grande and a class action lawsuit was actually brought up against maquiladoras ( american companies doing business in mexico ) due to severe invironmental issues. I declined to join but really hit me hard. You really have to live on the border to understand all these issues with illegal immigration. There is huge political favors involved in all these. was it mexican military? yes. Is washington going to accept this? NOO!!
    Understanding how all these will have devasting effects on the american middle class is a very complex issue but feel free to ask me any questions about it. I know a thing or two that Washington won't admit. Hell, i'm thinking of running for congressmen in a year or two. I will come hard an all these corrupt policies.

carsan956, I am so sorry about the loss of your baby boy. I bet you do get to see alot that we do not see here. I know what I am seeing here in NC and I do not like it, so I know that you have it even tougher out there on the border. And I do believe it was Mexican military that crossed our border. I have heard the horror stories about their military and their police. I hear that their wages are low so they will take a bribe, no problem. I watched a TV news show last night where a man's stepdaughter and her friend disappeared in Mexico two years ago. Needless to say, the Mexican police are no help to this man. He located his daughter's car in a salvage yard but they will not let the man take the car, even with the proper paperwork. I think the entire Mexican government is corrupt along with the American companies who are there exploiting cheap labor!
    "My ancestors gave their life for America, the least I can do is fight to preserve the rights they died for"

It's corruption in BOTH countries. We need to have a VERY thorough housecleaning....Immediately. We can't wait two years.

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones