Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Both Americans and Mexicans Oppose Border Fence, Poll Finds

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...exico-usa.html

REUTERS

2:37 p.m. March 22, 2006

MEXICO CITY – Both Mexicans and Americans oppose plans for a security fence along their border, according to a survey released Wednesday that also showed Americans as more appreciative of Mexicans than vice versa.
    Mexico optimistic of breakthrough on immigration

Of 2,010 Mexicans and Americans surveyed by research groups CIDAC and Zogby International, 69 percent of Americans and 90 percent of Mexicans opposed a proposal in the U.S. Congress to build a fence along much of the 2,000-mile border.

Relations between Mexicans and Americans are as complex as ever, and both sides said they saw each other more as “distant neighbors” than as “friends” or “partners”.

On the whole, Americans questioned viewed Mexicans as hard-working and honest, while many Mexicans in the survey saw Americans as racist and intolerant.

Eighty-five percent of Americans had a favorable or very favorable impression of Mexicans, while 53 percent of Mexicans had an unfavorable or very unfavorable opinion of Americans.

Forty-four percent of Mexicans even said that U.S. culture had a negative impact on their country.

“It's much more critical on the Mexican side and much more open and friendly on the American side,” said survey investigator Cesar Hernandez.

The poll was released in Mexico City, where economic research body CIDAC is based. Polling company Zogby International has its headquarters in Washington.

The survey comes as a U.S. Senate panel is debating a proposal to give some of the 12 million illegal immigrants in the United States an opportunity to earn citizenship. The panel will also discuss letting foreigners in as legal guest workers and giving them a chance to earn permanent status.

The survey, based on polling carried out in February, showed that 67 percent of Americans think Mexican immigrants make a positive contribution to the economy.

“They don't want the border to be sealed off. They don't want Mexican workers to stop coming into the United States,” said investigator Juan Pardinas.

Mexicans were divided on the benefits of emigrating, however, with 47 percent saying going to the United States would not improve their lives and 45 percent saying it would.

Mexicans have a complex relationship with their northern neighbor, with many torn between begrudging Americans their wealth and their desire to live the American dream.
    <div>"True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else."
    - Clarence Darrow</div>

The poll was released in Mexico City, where economic research body CIDAC is based.

This poll is an outright lie!
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

Hmmm...I think I will do my own random poll at the local mall where the demographics represent those of the United States.
    Individualism leads to anarchism. A collective society has more to offer than an isolationist/individualist one.

Quote Originally Posted by WavTek
    The poll was released in Mexico City, where economic research body CIDAC is based.

This poll is an outright lie!
    Your so right. The only one that voted in this poll was Vicente Fox.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

I don'’t believe any polls from Mexico City & its government, even if it was certified.
    "We have room for but one flag, the American flag" - Theodore Roosevelt

I love how the OBL is trying to rig these polls to get their desired result. I bet if I went into LA and polled a bunch of illegals on the same topic, I'd get the same result too. Morons.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn