Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bush Says Deportation 'Ain't Gonna Work'

http://cbs11tv.com/topstories/topsto...159105113.html

Jun 8, 2006 9:50 am US/Central

Bush Says Deportation 'Ain't Gonna Work'

CBS News Interactive: Immigration Reform Plan
    (AP) WASHINGTON

Rejecting an argument being made by some conservatives in his own party, President Bush said Thursday that the idea that the United States could force millions of illegal immigrants to return home "ain't gonna work."

Bush told a gathering of Hispanic leaders that the immigration system is broken and Congress needs to pass "commonsense" reform that strengthens the border while allowing more foreigners in to work temporarily and giving those who sneaked in years ago a chance to become citizens.

"There are those here in Washington who say, `Why don't we just find the folks and send them home,'" Bush said. "That ain't gonna work."

He said although it sounds simple, it is impractical to insist that the 12 million illegal immigrants estimated to be living in the U.S. leave and come back legally. Some prominent conservatives in his party say allowing those immigrants to become citizens without returning home would amount to amnesty.

Bush defined amnesty as allowing those immigrants to automatically become citizens. He said instead they first should be required to prove that they have been working and abiding the law, pay a fine, learn English and wait behind those who have been in the country legally.

"We don't have to choose between the extremes," Bush said. "There's a rational middle ground."

Bush is trying to get Congress to pass his immigration plan, but a block of conservative lawmakers have been firmly opposed to it and prefer legislation that would take a harder stance against those who break the law to sneak in the country. House and Senate negotiators have yet to meet to resolve the differences in the two different approaches.

Bush's remarks came during a 15-minute speech at the National Hispanic Prayer Breakfast in which he also talked about his faith in God. "I rely upon the Almighty for strength and comfort," Bush told the participants gathered in a hotel ballroom just a couple blocks from the White House.

"This morning we come together to give our thanks for all our blessings, and recognize our nation's continuing dependence on divine providence," he said.

(© 2006 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"There are those here in Washington who say, `Why don't we just find the folks and send them home,'" Bush said. "That ain't gonna work."
    Why does Bush keep talking like a redneck? Why does he have to always start an argument by saying "There are those here in Washington who say" or "Some folks in Washington say"?
    Also, Bush can use alittle brush-up on his english. Or maybe his educated wife Laura can tell her husband that "That ain't gonna work" is not proper english, especially for a presidential speech.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    How does he know it won't work? In order to make that determination, we'd first need to try. We all know it's not going to happen over night, but I believe it could be done over a couple year period. I'd bet over half would return to their homeland once their employment opportunities and tax funded benefits dryed up.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

National Hispanic Prayer Breakfast
    He's still courting them!!!!!!!!!

When is he going to have a fancy breakfast with William, Simcox...

Any Anti-Illegal Immigration American?

Bush I'm wait'n fur me invite.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    National Hispanic Prayer Breakfast
    He's still courting them!!!!!!!!!

When is he going to have a fancy breakfast with William, Simcox...

Any Anti-Illegal Immigration American?

Bush I'm wait'n fur me invite.

Dixie
    Oh Please don't hold you breath, on waiting for an Invite.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

Quote Originally Posted by butterbean
    Why does Bush keep talking like a redneck? Why does he have to always start an argument by saying "There are those here in Washington who say" or "Some folks in Washington say"?
    Also, Bush can use alittle brush-up on his english. Or maybe his educated wife Laura can tell her husband that "That ain't gonna work" is not proper english, especially for a presidential speech.
    Bush's poor English, is what Sean Hannity feels is part of Bush's warm wonderful charm, that he is just like one of us so to speak

I did hear Barbara Bush say on Jay Leno, that she corrects Bush all the time concerning his poor grammar.

I don't think I could get any more disgusted by this president!

I live in North Carolina and over the last 6 years this place has gone to the dumpsters, luckily we have Virgina Fox and Richard Burr on our side.

I'm thinking of moving can anyone suggest a state that hasn't been overrun by illegals?

You know, I have my grammar moments too but that guy went to an Ivy League College!!!!!!!! How did he even graduate?????????

Dixie

You know, I have my grammar moments too but that guy went to an Ivy League College!!!!!!!! How did he even graduate?????????

Dixie
    The same way Teddy Kennedy graduated.

If you've got the right connections, nothing else matters.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

Re: Bush Says Deportation 'Ain't Gonna Work'

Bush defined amnesty as allowing those immigrants to automatically become citizens. He said instead they first should be required to prove that they have been working and abiding the law, pay a fine, learn English and wait behind those who have been in the country legally.
    I love the remark "prove that they have been working and abiding the law". Does not proof of the one automatically disprove the other? Being in our country illegally is not upholding the law. Aliens working in our country without the proper VISA are not upholding the law. “Upholding” would have also been a much better word to use than “abiding”. “Abiding” simply means to tolerate, withstand, or put up with something while “upholing” means to maintain or support something. What is nice is that, as long as they fly under the radar and don’t get caught, they will be allowed to stay and eventually start the path to citizenship while those who get caught and deported before the shamnesty is in effect are not allowed to legally reenter the US for any reason for something like 10 or 15 years. Logically it makes perfect sense; reward lawbreakers for not being caught. How can they claim it is not an amnesty when they waive the penalty for their crimes?

AI_BOT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast