Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Illegal aliens confront author of strict immigration laws

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Illegal aliens confront author of strict immigration laws

Undocumented immigrants confront author of strict immigration laws

Bob Miller/for NBC News
    Isela Meraz and Fernando Lopez lead a group of undocumented Hispanics in protest against anti-immigration laws during a briefing on the civil rights effects of state immigration law held by the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights in Birmingham, Ala.

By Miranda Leitsinger, NBC News

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- Protesters opposed to strict state-level immigration laws confronted one of the key writers of such legislation as he testified at a U.S. Department of Justice civil rights hearing on Friday in Birmingham, Ala.

Holding up small banners with the words "undocumented" on them, four self-proclaimed undocumented immigrants stood up one at a time to denounce the laws, interrupting the testimony being given by Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach, who helped author the measures in Alabama and Arizona.

Kobach, who advised those states before being elected to statewide office in Kansas, and others were invited to speak about the impact of such laws by the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights, an independent commission of the federal government.

But the session was interrupted by protests.

"I have received a lot of discrimination. I am Maria Huerta, undocumented and without fear. I have no fear! You have to respect our rights. They are civil rights," the 65-year-old woman, originally from Mexico, cried out just before throwing the hearing agenda on the floor. "I leave it there. Keep it. You don't know how to respect human suffering."

Huerta is among a group of undocumented immigrants traveling across the country in a caravan to highlight their situation and those of others still living in the shadows. Before landing in Alabama, the ragtag caravan made stops in Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Tennessee. Their ultimate goal is the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, N.C., where they intend to press their concerns.

Moments before Huerta spoke, another group of five women stood up and turned their backs on the commission as Kobach began his testimony. They wore shirts that spelled out "stop hate."

Bob Miller / for NBC News
    Secretary of State Kris Kobach of Kansas addresses the commission during a briefing on civil rights effects of state immigration laws held by the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights in Birmingham, Alabama on August 17, 2012.

Emotions ran high later when protesters called Kobach, a "liar," with Mayra Rangle, 32, telling commissioners: "It's a shame you invited him and him," as she pointed to those invited to speak.

'No documents, no fear': Undocumented immigrants declare themselves
    Dreamers can apply for deferred action - now what?
    Arizona governor's ban on licenses for undocumented likely headed to court

Chasing a 'dream': Immigrant youth seek legal status
    Young undocumented immigrants line up for chance to legally stay, work in US

After the hearing, Kobach said the protesters had the right to voice their opinions, but the interruptions were disrespectful.

"It's inherently rude and it disrespects the American process of deliberation and careful policy making," he said. "It's really unfortunate when one side in a debate results to personal insults instead of bringing information and making a coherent point."

When asked why he didn't respond to them when challenged, he said: "I was there to respond to the panel not the protesters."

During the protest, the civil rights commissioners argued about the presence of the demonstrators, with Commissioner Todd Gaziano, a Heritage Foundation fellow, denouncing the lack of security and Commissioner Michael Yaki, of Michael Yaki Consulting, noting the demonstrators were acting in the form of non-violent protest.

Bob Miller/for NBC News
    Civil Rights commissioner Michael Yaki addresses a crowd of mostly undocumented immigrants in downtown Birmingham, Ala.

Gerardo Torres, 41, a Mexican who lives in Phoenix, said after the hearing that those who wrote the immigration laws were out of touch.
    "I don't think they have ever been in contact with regular people," he said. "At the end of the day, I think they just go back to their gated community. They are not in touch with reality."

Undocumented immigrants confront author of strict immigration laws - U.S. News
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

why don't you all march right back to mexico & tell your gov what you want .No one told you to come over
    to our Country . yes we are very P/// off
    1 you get food stamp
    2 welfare

3 free Med care
    4 you have our jobs yes you work cheap you are the fool .
    5 you can Not read English at all .
    & you all live In 1 bed room apartment & yes you work around the clock
    so you mail money back home so more can come over . yes it all obama doing
    you all are the fool he just want you for the vote . & he will do the same thing to you
    as he did the same thing to The USA good kick in the ASS so think again march right Back home
    no amnesty Or Dream act
    Congress wake the hell up why don't you all stand with Gov jan she has the back bone
    which .you don't have

A near perfect example of the more they are given, the more they will demand. Gutless Americans did not even organize a respectful counter demonstration? I they interfere with Americans right to assemble, how does this qualify for respect of America's laws? What next, a demand for a cartel pot acreage on every American farm?

Hard to feel sorry for the Americans. Results of decades of apathy and freebies on display!

Oh yea!! They look like someone that I want to do something for!
    Take a good look at the faces of these illegal invaders with their fists in the air DEMANDING something that they are not entitled to. JMO

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Gerardo Torres, 41, a Mexican who lives in Phoenix, said after the hearing that those who wrote the immigration laws were out of touch.
    "I don't think they have ever been in contact with regular people," he said. "At the end of the day, I think they just go back to their gated community. They are not in touch with reality."
    I suspect they HAVE been in contact with regular people - American citizens, taxpayers, jobless who are sick and tired of paying the way for lawbreakers.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"I am Maria Huerta, undocumented and without fear. I have no fear! You have to respect our rights. They are civil rights," the 65-year-old woman, originally from Mexico, cried out just before throwing the hearing agenda on the floor. "I leave it there. Keep it. You don't know how to respect human suffering."

You demand rights after breaking the law to get here and taking a job away from a citizen? I guess you havn't spoken to some of our poor citizens who have to choose between food or life saving medicines. I guess you havn't spoken to all our people living in tent cities who have lost their jobs and homes. I think they full well know what human suffering is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiara View Post
    "I am Maria Huerta, undocumented and without fear. I have no fear! You have to respect our rights. They are civil rights," the 65-year-old woman, originally from Mexico, cried out just before throwing the hearing agenda on the floor. "I leave it there. Keep it. You don't know how to respect human suffering."

You demand rights after breaking the law to get here and taking a job away from a citizen? I guess you havn't spoken to some of our poor citizens who have to choose between food or life saving medicines. I guess you havn't spoken to all our people living in tent cities who have lost their jobs and homes. I think they full well know what human suffering is.
    Way to go, KIARA!!

This one is old enough to get Social Security benefits, even if she has never paid one DIME into the system AND Medicare = another border creeper out for what she can get that she is not entitled to - no different than any other thief that sneaks and creeps across the border to loot and steal.

Only THIEVES sneak in and break in. The people that are being forced to support this old, in my opinion, thieving old hag, have civil rights also and they trampled on by every illegal that can get here to stick their hand in someone's pocket. They are nothing but thieves, typical of their "culture". JMO
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

April
    Illegals have been embolden by the backing of the left and some of the right and the inability of the tax payer footing the bills for the illegals, to be heard. We have been yelling No for years and politicians on the left and right for the most part ignore us. Now Obama is walking right over us and putting illegals above us and the criminals are rolling with it just like any law breaker would.... IT IS SICKENING!