Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Inflammatory billboard useful for immigrants' advocates, too

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/printDS/138497

Published: 07.19.2006

Ernesto Portillo Jr. : Inflammatory billboard useful for immigrants' advocates, too Ernesto Portillo Jr.
    When I opened my e-mail Tuesday, a reader's note of concern was waiting for me. The letter was in reference to a large billboard placed on the South Side by an anti-illegal-immigrant organization that wants to seal the U.S.-Mexican border.
    "I am surprised and very disturbed that the county can allow such a public display which remind me (of) some dark moments of the European history," wrote the reader.
    I didn't respond. Instead, I attended a press conference held by the local group and the out-of-town border activist who sponsored the billboard, in the Southgate Shopping Center at South Sixth Avenue and Interstate 10.
    The billboard is part of a national campaign organized by the Iowa-based MOD EDIT , a self-described conservative, family-values organization.
    With an outline of the 2,000-mile border, the Clear Channel billboard says: "STOP the INVASION, Secure Our Borders." It is one of 12 billboards across the country, with more to come.
    My correspondent wrote the billboard is offensive because it is "full of hate and racism." He implied it should come down.
    To the friendly reader and others like him who would want the sign censored, I say no.
    Let it stay.
    And let it create more awareness and activism among Tucsonans and Southern Arizonans who are opposed to the single-minded approach of those who advocate sealing the border.
    It would be an unfortunate reflex among immigrant-rights supporters if they clamored for the billboard's removal.
    Steve Elliott, president of MOD EDIT , said the billboard will embolden those who insist on more guns and boots as the only solution to stop illegal immigration.
    But it will do more than that.
    It can and will be used by the billboard's opponents to garner more support for a comprehensive immigration-reform package in the U.S. Senate. The Senate offers a guest-worker program, legalization for some undocumented immigrants and more border enforcement.
    The billboard echoes the hard-line approach of leadership in the U.S. House of Representatives.
    The billboard's six words toss red meat to those people fearful of cultural and political changes that come with illegal and legal immigration, principally from Latin America. The words burnish the untrue image that the United States is in a war with undocumented immigrants.
    The six words, however, cannot capture the complexity of illegal immigration, the global economics that push people to illegally cross the border, and the positive role undocumented immigrants play in the American economy. The billboard cannot provide needed substance and context to the debate.
    It won't only be supporters' raw emotions stoked by the billboard. Its bomb-throwing message will infuriate others.
    But here's hope the anger generated by the billboard will translate into greater opposition to the House's version of immigration policy. Opponents of the draconian proposals need to move quickly.
    The Senate version, which is a realistic approach to illegal immigration, is threatened to be further weakened. It deals with the estimated 12 million undocumented immigrants in the country. The House bill will destroy millions of families and stunt the economy.
    Supporters of a fair and humane immigration policy are in a contest of images and language. Groups like MOD EDIT want to capture the public's attention with one-liners.
    But six words on a billboard do not make for adequate immigration policy.
    Anybody can read that.
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...

Gag

double gag

Whatever.... the billboard stays so they can stare at it everyday
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Of what depths has our country fallen to, when 6 little words can be construed as to be inhumane, Inflammatory, and racist?

Stop The Invasion, Secure our borders!

Please tell me what is so inflammatory about that? Does not all soverign nations demand the right, expect the right, to protect their country's soverignty from the invasion of another country?

Secure our Borders. I thought our forefathers,when writing up our counstitution, had this thought of protecting our young country's borders from the invasion of any other country wanting to take the United States away from the patriots who fought so hard for her.
    Don't you think that James Madison was thinking about his young country's border security when he was drawing up the constitution?
    I have one thing to say to pro-illegal activist and to Illegal immigrants in general who were "offended" by this simple sign.

"HOW DARE YOU, JUST WHERE DO YOU GET OFF COMING ACROSS AS VICTIMS OF HATE, CALLING INFLAMMATORY, OUR PATRIOTS OF THIS COUNTRY FOR DARING TO WRITE THESE SIX LITTLE WORDS ON A BILLBOARD
    STOP THE INVASION;SECURE OUR BORDERS!
    You are not a citizen of our country, you are an interloper, a law breaker, a thief of our country's resources, tax dollars, health care and all the extra burden's you put on the legal citizens of this country. If you cannot come into our country the right and legal way, then you have nothing we want or need from you.
    I know it is really a hard thing for you to do, but put yourselves in our shoes, see how non citizens are treated in "your" country, and just see how arrogant, repulsive,and downright silly it is of you illegals to come here demanding your rights and daring to call us racist, bigots, and hate mongers because we don't step right on up to the plate to give them to you.
    I have a few words to say to you, call me what you will, I care not what names you call me, they mean nothing to me!
    GET THE HELL OUT OF MY COUNTRY, GO TO THE BACK OF THE LINE, THAT LINE BEING THE BORDER, COME BACK THE RIGHT WAY AS A LEGAL CITIZEN. Then I will lift you up and tell everybody proudly,you are now a citizen of these United States of America.
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Amen nittygritty!

May have to get one for my front yard!
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by AlturaCt
    Amen nittygritty!

May have to get one for my front yard!
    I have a sign up in my front yard. Have had it up for almost a year now.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06