Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

House adopts plan for 'volunteer' corps requires new evalual

OBAMA WATCH CENTRAL

House adopts plan for 'volunteer' corps

Also requires new evaluation of 'mandatory' service for all

Posted: March 19, 2009
    4:58 pm Eastern
    By Bob Unruh
    © 2009 WorldNetDaily

The U.S. House of Representatives has approved a plan to set up a new "volunteer corps" and consider whether "a workable, fair, and reasonable mandatory service requirement for all able young people" should be developed.

The legislation also refers to "uniforms" that would be worn by the "volunteers" and the "need" for a "public service academy, a 4-year institution" to "focus on training" future "public sector leaders." The training, apparently, would occur at "campuses."

The vote yesterday came on H.R. 1388, which reauthorizes through 2014 the National and Community Service Act of 1990 and the Domestic Volunteer Service Act of 1973, acts that originally, among other programs, funded the AmeriCorps and the National Senior Service Corps.

It not only reauthorizes the programs, but also includes "new programs and studies" and is expected to be funded with an allocation of $6 billion over the next five years, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

Many, however, are raising concerns that the program, which is intended to include 250,000 "volunteers," is the beginning of what President Obama called his "National Civilian Security Force" in a a speech last year in which he urged creating an organization as big and well-funded as the U.S. military. He has declined since then to elaborate.

WND reported when a copy of the speech provided online apparently was edited to exclude Obama's specific references to the new force.

The video of his statements is posted here: http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=92288

The new bill specifically references the possibilities "if all individuals in the United States were expected to perform national service or were required to perform a certain amount of national service."

Such new requirements perhaps, the legislation notes, "would strengthen the social fabric of the Nation and overcome civic challenges by bringing together people from diverse economic, ethnic, and educational backgrounds."

No one, apparently with the exception of infants, would be excluded:

"The means to develop awareness of national service and volunteer opportunities at a young age by creating, expanding, and promoting service options for elementary and secondary school students, through service learning or other means, and by raising awareness of existing incentives."

According to a report by Canada Free Press, "'volunteerism' that kept America running since the days of its founding" would be "wiped out with the stroke of a pen."

"It becomes forced labor and like the practice of another era, presses American citizens of all ages and creeds, unknowingly into military service," the commentary said.

"On paper, H.R. 1388 is the 'Generations Invigorating Volunteerism and Education Act'; the more innocuous sounding 'The Give Act,' for short.

"The Give Act puts the finishing touches to Public Allies New Leadership for New Times, modeled after Saul Alinsky's 'Peoples Organizations' and operating under Michelle Obama," the commentary said.

"Michelle was also a pioneer in the social entrepreneur movement – leaders who create new approaches and organize to provide new solutions to social problems. Like most things Saul Alinsky, H.R. 1388 sounds noble in stating why wide-sweeping change is necessary," the commentary said.

"H.R. 1388 goes straight to the heart of volunteerism in America, impacting everything from the lemonade stands of neighborhood children, to the residents of senior citizens homes. … The Give Act puts tow-headed school children and silver-haired seniors in the official uniform of the new State, and encompasses every walk of life in main-street America," the commentary said. "Whether you are young or old, or firmly believe that volunteering means you are offering your time to the good of community work, you will be pressed into Obama's National Civilian Community Corps."

Groups of such "volunteers," would, under the legislation, be "grouped together as appropriate in campuses for operational, support, and boarding purposes. The Corps campus for a unit shall be in a facility or central location established as the operational headquarters and boarding place for the unit. … There shall be a superintendent for each camp."

The plan generated this concern from Resistnet.com: "This is the equivalent of brown shirts."

Another portion of the bill talks about a "service learning" plan that will be "a mandatory part of the curriculum in all of the secondary schools served by the local educational agency."

A forum participant noted, "I wonder what's going to happen to those who refused to 'volunteer.' Maybe they will be put into a different 'campus.' I guess we will soon find out."

Formal announcements about the plan suggested something far different, picking a provision far down in the 200 pages of legislation to highlight.

According to a Business Wire statement released by Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., the bill "would formally authorize federal support for establishing the anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks on America as a National Day of Service and Remembrance."

That provision is tucked into the far reaches of the legislation, but Schumer discussed it as if it were the primary point.

"I could not be more proud to work to pass this important provision," said Schumer. "September 11 should not only be a day for mourning – it should be a day to think about our neighbors, our community, and our country. We can take a tragic day in our nation's history and turn it into a force for good."

On the Albany Insanity blog, this concern was raised: "What gives the government the right to require individuals to give three years service under the guise of 'volunteer' service? It is not explicit exactly who is required but I think they get the bill passed and then iron out the details. It talks about uniforms and 'camps.' They revise the word 'camps' and call it 'campus.' There is language about Seniors and Community organizations."

The blog noted, such work forces would be used for "pressing national and local challenges" that apparently could range from weather disasters to economic uncertainty.

At a Republican website, officials noted it authorizes funding for an Education Corps, Healthy Futures Corps, Clean Energy Corps, Veterans' Corps and Opportunity Corps.

The bill was sponsored by Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, a Democrat from New York. It was approved in the House 321-105, with mostly GOP opposition. It now goes to the Senate.

WND reported earlier on Obama's Colorado Springs campaign speech when he sought a civilian security force as big and well-funded as the military – with a budget of hundreds of billions of dollars.

WND later reported when the official website for Obama, Change.gov, announced he would "require" all middle school through college students to participate in community service programs.

However, after a flurry of blogs protested children being drafted into Obama's proposed youth corps, officials softened the website's wording.

Originally, under the tab "America Serves," Change.gov read, "President-Elect Obama will expand national service programs like AmeriCorps and Peace Corps and will create a new Classroom Corps to help teachers in under served schools, as well as a new Health Corps, Clean Energy Corps, and Veterans Corps.

"Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by developing a plan to require 50 hours of community service in middle school and high school and 100 hours of community service in college every year," the site announced.

WND previously reported on a video of a marching squad of Obama youth.

Joseph Farah, founder and editor of WND, used his daily column first to raise the issue and then to elevate it with a call to all reporters to start asking questions.

"If we're going to create some kind of national police force as big, powerful and well-funded as our combined U.S. military forces, isn't this rather a big deal?" Farah wrote. "I thought Democrats generally believed the U.S. spent too much on the military. How is it possible their candidate is seeking to create some kind of massive but secret national police force that will be even bigger than the Army, Navy, Marines and Air Force put together?

"Is Obama serious about creating some kind of domestic security force bigger and more expensive than that? If not, why did he say it? What did he mean?" Farah wrote.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=92288
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We are currently fighting uniforms in our public schools. Is this the reason? To get the children ready for National Services. Dear Lord help us.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Actually, it may not be a bad idea to teach kids a sense of country and helping the community and learning some responsibility. There are too many latch-key kids who have no parental supervision as mom or dad is working three jobs just to feed them. Yes there are plenty of kids not in that category, but there are more and more who prefer hanging out on street corners with the rest of the gang. Schools cannot replace parents, and parents cannot do the job when they are not there.

ELE

Like most things that Obama does there is an ulterior motive

Obama said he was going to put a civilian army larger than our military into effect. The only people in history that have done that were Hitler, Stalin and Mussolini. Here come Obama's "Brown Shirts". Beware!

Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    Actually, it may not be a bad idea to teach kids a sense of country and helping the community and learning some responsibility. There are too many latch-key kids who have no parental supervision as mom or dad is working three jobs just to feed them. Yes there are plenty of kids not in that category, but there are more and more who prefer hanging out on street corners with the rest of the gang. Schools cannot replace parents, and parents cannot do the job when they are not there.

By no means am I criticizing your opinion so please do not feel that way, but, quite frankly Vortex, I'm rather shocked by this statement.

Do you not understand that your grandchildren could be forced into uniforms and onto "campuses" for at least 4 years where the government will be training them?

Where not your son, your daughter in law, nor you, will have anything to say about......or have any part in...... their upbringing, education, or how they view the world? Where, by the time he government is done with them, they will hold no sense of devotion or loyalty to you or their own parents?

How can it not bother you to understand what obama plans for these children you love so much?

Quote Originally Posted by vmonkey56
    We are currently fighting uniforms in our public schools. Is this the reason? To get the children ready for National Services. Dear Lord help us.

Personally I don't think that this will be stood for by the American people and we'll never see this happen.

But, just in case, it's not a bad idea to think about plans to ex-pat the kids if necessary either.

az, my grandkids will be fine and even at their young age, my son and his wife spend time on Thanksgiving day manning stations for a couple hours at their local soup kitchen. The soon to be ten-year old spends time glopping stuffing onto plates and the seven-year old puts rolls on every plate. They want to help and the seven-year old thinks its very grown up to wear those plastic deli gloves.
    The kids I am talking about are the ones disenfranchised from family leadership and find their group identity in gangs. Drive through any poorer neighborhood during the day and you will see kids who should be in school hanging out, smoking and who knows what else.
    I think this is all getting warped out of proportion. Getting a neat T-shirt for participating in some public event like a fishing tournament is reward for accomplishment, just like wearing gang colors is an accomplishment that is anti-society, but an accomplishment nonetheless.

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar
    House Roll Call #140 Details
    H.R.1388: To reauthorize and reform the national service laws.
    Back to Main Bill Page

March 18, 2009Roll call number 140 in the House
    Question: On Passage: H R 1388 Generations Invigorating Volunteerism and Education (GIVE) Act

Ayes: 321 (Democrat: 251; Republican: 70) Nays: 105 (Democrat: 1; Republican: 104) Abstained: 6 (Democrat: 2; Republican: 4)
    Required percentage of 'Aye' votes: 1/2 (50%) Percentage of 'aye' votes: 74% Result: Passed

Go to the link for a listing how your Rep. voted ...

http://www.opencongress.org/roll_call/show/5358
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

By no means am I criticizing your opinion so please do not feel that way, but, quite frankly Vortex, I'm rather shocked by this statement.

Do you not understand that your grandchildren could be forced into uniforms and onto "campuses" for at least 4 years where the government will be training them?

Where not your son, your daughter in law, nor you, will have anything to say about......or have any part in...... their upbringing, education, or how they view the world? Where, by the time he government is done with them, they will hold no sense of devotion or loyalty to you or their own parents?

How can it not bother you to understand what obama plans for these children you love so much?
    I was thinking the same thing. Reminds of what Cuba does. Not to mention....and this is just my thoughts......how many want to bet that this is how they will have people "work off" their supposid entitlements, food stamps, welfare, medicade, medicare, etc. Education and anything else the government "grants" you. To start with. Forced volunteerism defeats the whole purpose for what it is. It's just a forced work force under the guise of community service. I'm sure, in the beginning, it might appear to be a good idea.....but it sure doesn't sit well with me. I can easily see it turning to a voucher for government cheese, government powdered milk, or something for your allotment for energy for the month.....who knows. Like many, part of me wants to think great....time for the welfare lifers to get off their butt and do something for it........but I also remember how many paying jobs were lost when Bush 1 did the 1000 points of life "volunteer" thing back then. It not only lost paying jobs, but then they added "standards" and hours and you applied like you were applying for a job. My kids had forced volunteering for school. They had to apply for them just as if they were applying for a job. You aren't guarenteed you can "volunteer" at what you'd like to do either. You couldn't be creative in what you'd like to do. Businesses had a list and you reported to do what they wanted you for. My oldest wanted to volunteer at the hospital or animal shelter....but she did receptionist work at the museum. My youngest was given no choice. She cleaned stalls for animals at the fair, ran game booths for the 4th of July, ran cart sales at the parades etc. Those were paying jobs people had that are now free labor. It didn't instill the love to help others or the community. It was a requirement to graduate.

My daughter was telling me than they were helping people with a program where she is. If you are un-employed, you have to look for work, but since there just isn't any, they will give you food stamps for volunteer work. What they give you in food stamps is far less than minimum wage for getting paid for the jobs. Mostly clean up work, garbage pick up work.......etc. instead of a low wage job, it's work in exchange for food stamps for less than minimum wage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast