Would You Still Visit France? Responses to Our Question

France is the most visited country in the world. Over 600 people wrote us their answer to this question. The answers were very divided.

Sun, July 24, 2016

A French soldier patrols after a terror attack in France (Photo: © Reuters)

The response to our question asking our readers, “After the increasing number of devastating terror attacks in France, would you refrain from taking a vacation there?” was very evenly divided. Many people who responded that they would still go to France said they would not let terrorism control their lives and that terrorism can happen anywhere.

Others answered decidedly that they would not go to France; many also said they refrain from visiting Europe as well as Turkey.

France is the most visited country in the world. Over 600 people wrote us their answer to this question. Here are some of the responses:

I have spent several months each year since I retired in France (including Paris and Nice) and this year will be no exception. I refuse to let the Islamic terrorists influence my travel plans. On the other hand, I would feel much better if there were a better global concerted effort to eliminate this threat.
--DEM

I would suspend a vacation to almost anywhere in Europe until they get control over the Islamic radicals that are terrorizing the area.
--GP

I will still holiday in France or the Islamists have won.
--RH

I would vacation in France. A person has to be aware there are people there who despise freedom. Why should my family still not have a good vacation. French authorities are awesome at protecting the public.
--DBM

I will not vacation in France, Germany, England, Belgium, Italy, Greece, Turkey, the Netherlands or any Nordic Peninsula country.
--JC

No this would not stop me from going there as it seems these days terror attacks can happen anywhere.
--LW

I wouldn't go anywhere outside of the US and Canada.
--KEA

I have just returned from vacationing in France. I noticed a new military and police presence in Paris that I've never seen before. I noticed that there were thousands of tourists at all the major attractions in Paris and thought it was interesting that the economy and the terror threat had not deterred many from vacationing there. I was also in London and Rome and they too were crowded with foreign tourists.

I was not afraid to be there. I have learned that vigilance is necessary wherever we go, but I feel it is important to continue living our lives in freedom.
--BD

The terror attacks wouldn't stop me taking a holiday in France. But, as much as I loved Turkey as a holiday destination, I would definitely think twice about going there.
--RJ

Due to the recent terror attacks in France, I choose not to vacation there.
--PF

I have no intentions of visiting France or any other country in Europe as long as the ISIS jihadists are out in full force.
--DC

I can't wait to go back to France and plan to spend time in Paris, rural France and also return to Nice. I want to support French tourism, culture, literature, art and the language. Americans must not cower in the face of Muslim terrorism. The French were there for us from the beginning, and we must be there for them now.
--BB

I would not let terrorist hold me hostage, so yes, I would still vacation in France if France was where I wanted to go.
--VE

YES OF COURSE!!!! We’re not afraid about increasing terrorist actions in France as the same way in Oregon, Bangladesh, Iraq, Israel and the whole planet!!! We’re NOT AFRAID and we will support the French population with our concrete solidarity being there for holidays and vacations as long as possible!!
--GM

Would we consider holidaying in beautiful France now? The answer regretfully is "no." The Islamic attacks on members of the public in France are a great deterrent.
--GM

I would like to say that I would vacation in France because the country's beauty, charm and people outweigh the danger from Islamic terror. But I would not risk the safety of my loved ones at this time by travel to an area of the world where Islamic terrorists are active. This goes not only for France but other countries like Germany.
--GL

I would not travel to France at the present time due to the uncertainties there. Tourists risk harm just as much as French citizens. The French are doing an excellent job though confronting Islamic radicalism and contributing to the war on terrorism.
--MR

We live in Colorado Springs, in two months we had two terrorist attacks.The United States has four times more violent crimes than France. We need to show our children that people from other countries are just like us with the same hopes, fears and dreams. We have plans to travel to France in October with our 10-year-old son and plan to go and enjoy their culture, history and hospitality.I fear that the isolationists and fear mongers will be the end of our world. United we stand!
--LP

We no longer will be visiting Europe because of recent terrorism.
--BF

If we avoid going to France, then terrorist scare tactics have worked. Not only have they killed citizens, they have created an atmosphere of fear and hit France hard financially.
--GDW

We will delay our visits to France until the terrorist threat is under control.
--ER

Would You Still Visit France? Responses to Our Question