Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bob Barr to announce third party presidential bid

http://www.fitsnews.com/2008/03/31/barr ... next-week/

Pulled this off Barr's website:

http://www.bobbarr.org/default.asp?pt=newsdescr&RI=737

Bush gives immigration wink and nod
    by Bob Barr
    special to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Wednesday, April 12, 2006 at 9:00 AM

Next time the Department of Justice publishes its annual index of crime statistics, you might want to look up how many "uninvited visitor" incidents there have been compared to previous years. You might also want to check how many automobile owners had their vehicles "involuntarily borrowed" in the past year. Oh, you can't find those statistics? Well, look under "burglary" and "vehicle theft" and you'll find the information you're looking for.

Using soft words to describe events, actions or persons in order to disguise their true nature is becoming a well-honed art among politicians in Washington and across the country, and nowhere more apparent than in efforts by the administration of President Bush and its supporters to sugarcoat the crisis of illegal immigration in and into the United States.

We have a president whose entire five years-plus term in the Oval Office has been defined by stressing the importance of national security and the need for ever stricter and broader criminal laws to enhance security, but who cannot bring himself to utter the term "illegal alien" when discussing the veritable flood of people unlawfully entering our country from Mexico. This blind spot the size of the Lone Star State enables Bush to see nothing more nettlesome than a parade of "undocumented workers," many of whom perhaps just forgot their "documentation" at home when they kissed the wife and kids goodbye that morning as they headed off for a day at the office.

The president has spoken at length recently, in some of his rambling monologues that pass for question-and-answer sessions, of the need to "secure our borders." But he still cannot recognize the fundamental problem — a complete breakdown of respect for immigration laws in this country prompted by an utter failure to enforce those laws against illegal aliens and those who hire them.

Were this an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting, Bush would not pass his first session, which requires participants to take the first step in rehabilitation, which is recognizing the problem for what it is and not sugarcoating it.

Instead, the president bogs himself down in trying to avoid recognizing the problem by pontificating about protecting the "decency" of America and reminding us repeatedly that the most important thing we are is a "nation of immigrants." The decency about which Bush speaks has nothing to do with the decency of protecting the sovereignty of the nation his oath of office requires him to protect.

Deflecting and obfuscating the immigration debate by simply parroting the historical fact that America's population growth in its earlier decades was largely the result of external migration does nothing to address the very real and current problem.

Besides, weren't we taught in school that, first and foremost, America is a "nation of laws?" In the president's world, in which "amnesty" has transmogrified into "guest worker," apparently those of us who believe that "first, let's enforce our laws" are indecent and callous.

Of course, Bush is not alone in striving to paint over the illegal immigration debate with pleasing soft words such as "decency," "compassion" and "guest worker." Many in the moribund U.S. Senate — whose courageous membership left town last Friday for another recess (this one, two weeks long and chock full of foreign junkets) without passing any border security or immigration reform legislation, despite extensively debating the dire need for such action – similarly eschew the use of real words to describe this crisis of sovereignty facing America. And now, no less a luminary than California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has entered the fray, showing himself to be a metro male with the best of what Washington has to offer.

In a commentary piece appearing Monday in The Wall Street Journal, the former actor wrote eloquently of "compassion" for immigrants, apparently all of whom in the guv's eyes are "good people." While repeatedly admonishing the Congress to "get serious" about the problem, Schwarzenegger could never once in the article bring himself to use the "i" word — "illegal" — to describe the millions of aliens in his state and across the other 49 who flouted and continue to flout our immigration laws.

There is one person in Congress, however, who sees this problem for what it is and is proposing a real solution — House Judiciary Chairman James Sensenbrenner (R-Wis.). Whether his brand of realism and tough talk will triumph over the obfuscation and double talk that permeates so much of the debate these days, however, is very much an open question.

•Former U.S. Attorney and Congressman Bob Barr practices law in Atlanta. Web site: www.bobbarr.org

Good NEws

That is really good news. If he gets the LP nomination and Ron Paul endorses him I will be happy to support him!

I just went into his website and read some of his articlies. He has a very interesting and humorous view on things.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I will consider him - but if you think he's as tough on immigration as most ALIPACers you should think again. The problem with Libertarians in general is that they worship the "free market" above all else - above patriotism, above morality, etc. I want to support someone like Barr, but I have to see what he says in the campaign.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/sha...be_seized.html

For those of us who have been hit by an illegal without insurance and a license, no problemo for the illegal and a big financial hit for an insured citizen who has to pay deductible. That is, if you are lucky enough to still be alive after the hit.

Obviously, Bob Barr thinks people should not be penalized for lending their vehicles to an illegal. Who amongst us out there lends their vehicle to anyone whose status you are unsure of? An illegal employer, you betcha. A responsible citizen, never.

We have a lot of legislation pending that would effectively make GA a difficult state to drive illegally. Hate that he is not behind the effort, and undermining it with a free voice this liberal rag gives to him.

I can't vote for him, or McCain, or Clinton, or Obama.

Another ILLEGAL ALIEN hugger! He talks a lot and say nothing.........just like Obama. He talks about ILLEGALS, but find where one place where he has said he would get rid of them!

Hey Dianne

Hey Dianne..I sent an email to the LP Party chair in my state. He said Barr will be anouncing his candidacy soon. The LP has about 15 people running right now and Barr would be number 16. The LP will have made a decision by May on who the official candidate is. The LP candidate will be on 48 state ballots. I asked him if Ron Paul was endorsing Barr. He said there was no official word, but Barr and Ron Paul are very close and they have the same stance on the issues. That is good news though.

Just curious about why people think he wouldn't be the most favorable immigration candidate? I looked at his immigration voting record, and it seemed pretty good to me. Not 100%, but the best in the bunch.

http://profiles.numbersusa.com/improfil ... &VIPID=219

Here's another piece by him: http://www.bobbarr.org/default.asp?pt=newsdescr&RI=855

We can't secure our borders, but Iraq's borders get priority
    Some 11,000 officers of the Border Patrol currently are tasked with securing our borders, and nearly 90 percent of them are assigned to the border with Mexico. Recently, Congress mandated a 50 percent increase in the number of border agents to be in place by the end of next year. To meet that goal, Customs and Border Protection is straining to recruit and train new agents, even as it copes with the pressures of retaining veteran agents. In the interim, and reflecting the true crisis situation we face in securing our southern border, President Bush last year directed that 6,000 National Guard troops be assigned to assist CBP in securing the southern border.

The Border Patrol's task is made worse by virtue of other federal agencies stealing its best agents. For example, a private company, Virginia-based DynCorp International, to which numerous federal agencies outsource security and other services, is actively recruiting veteran Border Patrol agents in order to meet its contractual obligations to the U.S. State Department to supply Americans to train Iraqis in immigration and border security. DynCorp reportedly entices senior border agents with salaries more than double what CBP pays them, and then tacks on huge signing bonuses to improve its chances of luring them. Ultimately, of course, the federal government is paying for all this — robbing Peter to pay Paul — and making the job of W. Ralph Basham, commissioner of CBP, that much harder.
    More at the link.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." -- John Quincy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaTC
    Just curious about why people think he wouldn't be the most favorable immigration candidate? I looked at his immigration voting record, and it seemed pretty good to me.
    Not 100%, but the best in the bunch.
    http://profiles.numbersusa.com/improfil ... &VIPID=219

Here's another piece by him: http://www.bobbarr.org/default.asp?pt=newsdescr&RI=855

We can't secure our borders, but Iraq's borders get priority
    [quote:2zdygbjg]
    Some 11,000 officers of the Border Patrol currently are tasked with securing our borders, and nearly 90 percent of them are assigned to the border with Mexico. Recently, Congress mandated a 50 percent increase in the number of border agents to be in place by the end of next year. To meet that goal, Customs and Border Protection is straining to recruit and train new agents, even as it copes with the pressures of retaining veteran agents. In the interim, and reflecting the true crisis situation we face in securing our southern border, President Bush last year directed that 6,000 National Guard troops be assigned to assist CBP in securing the southern border.

The Border Patrol's task is made worse by virtue of other federal agencies stealing its best agents. For example, a private company, Virginia-based DynCorp International, to which numerous federal agencies outsource security and other services, is actively recruiting veteran Border Patrol agents in order to meet its contractual obligations to the U.S. State Department to supply Americans to train Iraqis in immigration and border security. DynCorp reportedly entices senior border agents with salaries more than double what CBP pays them, and then tacks on huge signing bonuses to improve its chances of luring them. Ultimately, of course, the federal government is paying for all this — robbing Peter to pay Paul — and making the job of W. Ralph Basham, commissioner of CBP, that much harder.
    Not 100%, but the best in the bunch.
    More at the link.[/quote:2zdygbjg]
    That is one thing to consider,,,,,,,we need anything better than the 3 stooges we have up for Canidacy now.
    ------------------------

I hope...

I hope Ron Paul endorses him..that would give Bob Barr a real chance . I think some disfranchised republicans would also vote for him because he would be remembered by many of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast