Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Domenici Says He'll Vote For Stand Alone Border Security

If this is a duplicte post, accept my apologies.

July 17, 2007

Dear--------

Thank you for contacting me to express your views on border security and immigration. I am glad you took the time to share your thoughts with me on this important matter.

Our first task must be to secure our nations' borders. The United States is experiencing a crisis along our southern border and I believe Congress must take action. It was for this reason that I supported some of the proposals, primarily the provisions to improve our border security, that were included in the most recent border security and immigration reform bill considered by the Senate, S. 1639. However, I could not support the bill because I did not believe it was workable or realistic and thus I voted no on the motion to invoke cloture on S. 1639.

Instead of pursuing immediate emergency funding to help secure our border, S. 1639 cobbled together border security improvements and funding with some concerning immigration reforms. While the bill provided $4.4 billion to fund these border security initiatives, that money was contingent upon final passage of the bill by Congress, something that appears to be less than a sure thing. It is clear to this Senator that anything similar to S. 1639 is dead on arrival in the House of Representatives. I also believe the bill's provisions relating to future guest workers, which many industries need, was unworkable. Additionally, I find it unacceptable that legislation of this importance was subjected to unnecessary deadlines, closed-door decision making and arbitrary limitations on amendments. I filed several amendments that would have made S. 1639 better for New Mexico, the Southwest border, and the United States, but none of those amendments were allowed to be considered. Many of my colleagues on both sides of the aisle also had amendments, and we deserved an opportunity to consider those amendments. I believe it is completely contrary to the spirit and purpose of the Senate that legislation of such magnitude should be rushed through the Senate without adequate debate.

It is clear to me that the American people want measures that were included in S. 1639 such as stationing 20,000 border patrol agents on our nation's borders, constructing 370 miles of border fencing and 300 miles of border vehicle barriers, putting 105 radar and camera towers on the border, and using four unmanned aerial vehicles for border security. Therefore, I believe Congress should provide $4.4 billion in border security funding in a stand-alone emergency spending bill to fund these border security initiatives. I plan to work towards passage of such legislation.

Please know as Congress works to secure our nation's borders and address immigration issues, I will keep yours concerns in mind and carefully examine any legislation that is introduced in the Senate regarding border security and immigration. Again, thank you for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Pete V. Domenici
    United States Senator
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Maybe we could get Dubya to stand alone on the border -- at least then he'd be accomplishing something.
    por las chupacabras todo, fuero de las chupacabras nada

I sure wished my two Senators Boxer and Feinstein would stand alone on the border, preferably in the middle of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by htxpert
    I sure wished my two Senators Boxer and Feinstein would stand alone on the border, preferably in the middle of the night.
    Me too. LOL
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Why not all three of them!

Quote Originally Posted by htxpert
    por las chupacabras todo, fuero de las chupacabras nada

Here is an OPEN INVITE!

Come down to the MCDC muster ANY Month, we will feed you well, and give you a great place to stay and take you out on patrol!

It cannot get any better than this!

Ken
    :P :P :P
    Ken Dreger

Add Senator Reid and Kennedy to that patrol. lol