Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

E. Kyle Steinhauser of Frisco: A 'real' Mexican?

E. Kyle Steinhauser of Frisco: A 'real' Mexican?

Immigration has hit a personal note and FB issues will come to Collin County

09:53 AM CDT on Friday, May 25, 2007

"You're not a real Mexican!" the old man shouted in Spanish at my mother-in-law after his daughter backed into my wife's car. As she sought driver and insurance information, the man proclaimed that "real Mexicans" do not have driver's licenses or insurance, and that she should not expect his daughter to take responsibility.

I do not know if my mother-in-law is a "real Mexican." I do know her parents were born in Mexico, but she was born in Dallas. I guess she is a "real Texan," although she prefers Elvis to Willie. I do know that this man felt his ethnic or legal status should relieve him of any responsibility for his actions. And just like that, a careless teenager crashed the immigration issue into me.

Although the special-interest groups and media PR campaigns have moved on from Farmers Branch, the issue remains. It will migrate to Collin County. Cheap labor and Democratic voting blocs keep federal officials from taking serious action on the immigration conundrum. One senses many local citizens are tired of complaining and want something done.

For me, this is a tough issue. One must balance the rule of law with love and justice. Do we tolerate traffic crimes or petty theft simply because so many people break those laws? Supporters of illegal immigrants love to play the race card because, if adroitly played, the race card trumps any sound rationale.

Rather than being intellectually lazy and relying on phony emotion, illegal immigration supporters should formulate real, rational arguments. The issue is not about race but respect. It is not racist for Americans to demand respect for the law. Some illegal immigrants not only do not respect the law, but flout it as they demand special considerations.

I suspect the reason some illegal immigrant supporters seek to play the race card is because there is no logical reason to justify continuous, sanctioned lawbreaking. As long as America supports able-bodied men and women on welfare rolls, there should not be a job that Americans won't do. If America needs more workers, then those workers should be admitted legally and securely.

Despite malfeasance from a few illegal immigrants, America must treat its neighbors with respect and dignity. Just because a person was not fortunate enough to have been born in a prosperous country does not make one less intrinsically valuable or unworthy of respect. God created every person, despite immigration status, in His image. While most countries harshly punish illegal interlopers, the U.S. continues to model remarkable charity and tolerance.

Locally, immigrants – regardless of legal status – should assimilate more and demand less. They chose to come here and to do so illegally, and they should be more grateful to their generous hosts.

Supporting English as the official language and the end of bilingual education would demonstrate that immigrants seek to become long-term members of the American community rather than simply using us for economic benefits.

Today, Collin County benefits from work provided by illegal immigrants while suffering relatively less in terms of crowded schools and emergency rooms, but this does not mean we are immune. If the federal government continues to stand idly by, one day a Collin County town will face a Farmers Branch vote. Despite a federal judge's veto of democracy, the entire imbroglio demonstrated that everyone wants something done.

Meanwhile, I am left with a dented automobile and the hope that my daughter can benefit from her heritage when she applies for college – even if she is not a "real Mexican."

E. Kyle Steinhauser of Frisco is a technology marketing manager at a publishing company and a Voices of Collin County volunteer columnist. His e-mail address is ekyles@gmail.com
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... fb76.html#
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

On whole a despicable article. "benefit from her heritage when she applies for college"? He thinks they are suffering much? Perhaps we can send him cases of murders committed by illegals in Collin County.

Quote Originally Posted by SamLowrey
    On whole a despicable article. "benefit from her heritage when she applies for college"? He thinks they are suffering much? Perhaps we can send him cases of murders committed by illegals in Collin County.
    I agree-hoping that his daughter will benefit from racist preferential treatment.

As she sought driver and insurance information, the man proclaimed that "real Mexicans" do not have driver's licenses or insurance, and that she should not expect his daughter to take responsibility.
    And there's your number one reason why OUR insurance rates are so freakin' high!! Those "real" mejicans cause so many accidents we wind up footing the bill! Like everything else they get for free!!