Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Romney’s Best Bet: Embrace the Dream Act

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Romney’s Best Bet: Embrace the Dream Act

H2 Note: Liberal hit piece follows trying to make us believe Romney cannot win against Obama unless he dives head first into the Dream Act.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Romney’s Best Bet: Embrace the Dream Act

nytimes
    Linda Chavez

May 23, 2012
    Linda Chavez was the director of public liaison in the Reagan White House and the G.O.P. Senate nominee from Maryland in 1986. She is the chairwoman of the Center for Equal Opportunity, a conservative research group focused on race and ethnicity.

In an effort to woo conservatives needed to secure the nomination, Mitt Romney took tough rhetorical stands on illegal immigration. He suggested that the 11 million illegal immigrants in the U.S. should “self-deport,” a fantasy that, if it came true, would devastate the American economy. And he counted some of the nastiest anti-immigrant characters around among his supporters, including Joe Arpaio, sheriff of Maricopa County in Arizona.
    Romney has to turn his image around among Hispanic voters, and if he doesn’t his chance of winning in November becomes tougher.

Romney will have to work hard to turn his image around among Hispanic voters, and if he doesn’t his chance of winning in November will become tougher. He needs to win in key states where Hispanics make up a significant portion of eligible voters: Colorado, Florida, Nevada and New Mexico.

But all is not lost. While Romney may favor “self-deportation,” President Obama has actually deported more illegal immigrants than any president in history — and he’s done so without regard to whether deportation splits families that include U.S. citizens. And the president has done almost nothing to advance immigration reform, never making it a top legislative priority or using any political capital even when Democrats controlled both houses of Congress.

Romney’s best bet if he wants to soften his image is to embrace the Dream Act, which would grant legal status to illegal immigrants who came here as children if they join the military or attend college for at least two years. If he doesn’t, he could lose not just the overwhelming majority of Hispanic votes, but also the election.

The Hispanic voting in presidential elections has traditionally been more bipartisan than most people realize. Upward of 30 percent of Hispanics voted for Presidents Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush (198 and George W. Bush, with Reagan and George W. Bush winning more than 40 percent in their re-election bids. But since Republican candidates decided to make illegal immigration a wedge issue in recent elections, Hispanics have been fleeing the G.O.P. This year doesn’t bode well either.

Related Discussions

How Should Obama Appeal to the Disenchanted?

What can the president do to energize those groups who have supported him but are less enthusiastic, as well as those who were always skeptical of him?

How Romney Can Win the Swing Votes

What can the candidate do to win over women, Hispanics and Republicans who are moderates on gay issues?

Does Romney Still Need to Court Conservatives?

Does Romney still need to appeal to conservative Republicans, or should he start focusing on the broader electorate?

What Is It About Mormons?

If Mormons are such responsible people, why are voters turned off?

source:
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Spoken like a true Latino.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

He suggested that the 11 million illegal immigrants in the U.S. should “self-deport,” a fantasy that, if it came true, would devastate the American economy.

And he counted some of the nastiest anti-immigrant characters around among his supporters, including Joe Arpaio, sheriff of Maricopa County in Arizona.

Romney has to turn his image around among Hispanic voters, and if he doesn’t his chance of winning in November becomes tougher.
    Romney needs to focus on the "American Vote" Black, White, Brown, it all comes down to "Green"

Mitt Romney
    P.O. Box 149756
    Boston, MA 02114-9756
    857-288-3500
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/mittromney
    https://twitter.com/#!/MittRomney
    For all other inquiries, please contact info@mittromney.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Notice the ease with which Linda Chavez advocates that Mitt Romney prove himself a liar while throwing Americans under the bus and depriving them of a choice against Dream Act Amnesty. Linda Chavez was there helping Ron Reagan make the AMNESTY mistake that is responsible for the terrible invasion we suffer today. Now this traitor has the nerve to speak out again and offer Mitt Romney and America the same poison they dished out in 86?

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Remember McCain 2008, many did not vote,gain 1000 hispanic votes lose 10,000 of the base,go for it embrace the dream act.
    Last edited by oldguy; 05-24-2012 at 10:42 AM.
    I'm old with many opinions few solutions.

I don't understand why the Democrats are playing to people that cannot legally vote in the Presidential election. Or, maybe I do.
    __________________________________________________ ____

Wasserman Schultz: Romney ‘Most Extreme’ Ever and ‘Inhumane’ on Immigration

May 25, 2012

Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.) today called presumptive GOP nominee Mitt Romney the “most extreme” and “inhumane” on immigration policy.

“We have a choice of Mitt Romney who literally has the most extreme policy on immigration of any presidential candidate in history and Barack Obama who is strongly supportive and has pushed for comprehensive immigration reform against the candidate who totally opposes it,” Wasserman Schultz said today on CNN.

It was pointed out to her that the Obama administration’s record-high deportations and failure to get the DREAM Act or comprehensive immigration reform passed haven’t exactly sat well with many Hispanic leaders.

“Mitt Romney’s solution is to make sure that we just deport them all,” Wasserman Schultz countered. “…What he has said is that his policy would be that we should just create an environment in which the 12 million undocumented immigrants that are here would just self-deport. It’s an unrealistic expectation. It’s an inhumane expectation.”
    Romney’s immigration platform includes raising visa caps for highly skilled workers, completing the border fence, opposing amnesty, and turning of “magnets” including benefits for illegal immigrants.

Romney said in a January debate that self-deportation would happen when “people decide that they could do better by going home because they can’t find work here because they don’t have legal documentation to allow them to work here.”

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich mocked the plan as “an Obama-level fantasy.”

The “most extreme” campaign refrain comes straight from President Obama’s campaign playbook, previously trumpeted by Wasserman Schultz and on the campaign trail.

“Mitt Romney’s policy is to embrace fully the Arizona-style immigration law that would actually let police round up people who are doing nothing more than driving down the street and asking them for their papers and then deporting — putting them into immigration, reporting them to immigration based on simply existing,” Wasserman Schultz said. “…Mitt Romney wants to fight to kick undocumented immigrants out of this country.”

Posted at 11:51 am on May 25th, 2012 by
    The PJ Tatler » Wasserman Schultz: Romney ‘Most Extreme’ Ever and ‘Inhumane’ on Immigration

The Above Mentioned Democratic "Playbook". Directly from Barack Obama's campaign website.

Statement: Romney’s extreme immigration position may be inconvenient but it is clear

May 8, 2012

CHICAGO, IL -- In response to the RNC’s Hispanic Outreach Coordinator’s comment this morning that Mitt Romney is still deciding what his immigration position is, OFA’s Director of Hispanic Press, Gabriela Domenzain, released the following statement:

“Over the past year Mitt Romney has proven time and time again that he is the most extreme presidential candidate in modern history on immigration. His position may be inconvenient, but it has been clear. He has promised to veto the DREAM Act, thinks all undocumented immigrants should self-deport, has called the anti-immigrant AZ law a ‘model’ for the nation and has paraded around the country with the nation’s leading anti-immigrant voices. Mitt Romney has decided to be the most extreme presidential candidate on immigration; Hispanics and all Americans have heard it loud and clear.”

ROMNEY SAID HE WOULD VETO THE DREAM ACT
    When Asked If He Would Veto The DREAM Act, Romney Said, “The Answer Is Yes.” “‘The question is if I were elected and Congress were to pass the Dream Act, would I veto it and the answer is yes,’ Romney said.” [Reuters, 12/31/11; Le Mars, IA Meet & Greet, 12/31/11]
    ROMNEY PROPOSED THE INHUMANE IMMIGRATION POLICY OF “SELF-DEPORTATION”

Romney Supported “Self-Deportation” For Undocumented Immigrants. SMITH: “You say you don’t want to go and round up people and deport them, but you also say that they would have to go back to their home countries and then apply for citizenship. So, if you don’t deport them, how do you send them home?” ROMNEY:

“Well, the answer is self-deportation, which is people decide they can do better by going home because they can’t find work here because they don’t have legal documentation to allow them to work here. And so we’re not going to round people up. The way that we have in this society is to say, look, people who have come here legally would, under my plan, be given a transition period and the opportunity during that transition period to work here, but when that transition period was over, they would no longer have the documentation to allow them to work in this country. At that point, they can decide whether to remain or whether to return home and to apply for legal residency in the United States, get in line with everybody else. And I know people think but that’s not fair to those that have come here illegally.” [NBC Florida Debate, 1/23/12]

• New York Times Editorial: Romney’s Scheme For Fixing Immigration Is “Self-Deportation” – Mass Expulsion Through Making The Lives Of Immigrants “Unbearable.” “Mitt Romney has moved farthest to the fringe. His scheme for fixing immigration is mass expulsion: a fantasy of ridding the country of 11 million unauthorized immigrants by making their lives unbearable. The key to his harsh vision is ‘self-deportation,’ the deceptively bland-sounding policy that he introduced at a debate. It accepts that arresting and expelling so many millions would be impossible — like deporting the State of Ohio. But it replaces that delusion with another: That people can be made miserable enough to leave on their own.” [Editorial, New York Times, 2/20/12]

• New York Times Editorial: “In States Where ‘Self-Deportation’ Is Official Policy, The Results Have Been Deplorable” And “Have Caused A Civil-Rights Emergency.” “In states where ‘self-deportation’ is official policy, the results have been deplorable. In Arizona, Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Maricopa County sweeps neighborhoods making mass arrests, and people are afraid to leave home. In Alabama, farm and construction workers have fled by the thousands; tornado victims are afraid to go to a shelter. These laws hijack the federal government’s responsibility for immigration and have caused a civil-rights emergency. But Mr. Romney’s response has been to condemn the Obama Justice Department for fighting them in court.” [Editorial, New York Times, 2/20/12]

ROMNEY ENDORSED THE CONTROVERSIAL ARIZONA LAW THAT ALLOWS RANDOM DOCUMENT CHECKS AND DETAINMENT, AND EVEN CALLED IT A “MODEL” FOR ENFORCING IMMIGRATION LAWS
    Romney: “I Support The Arizona Law.” “Immigration is an important topic for voters in the state that borders Mexico. Residents wanted to know if the candidates will support Arizona's controversial immigration law. ‘Well, I support the Arizona law by recognizing what Arizona has done -- underscored the failure of the federal government to do its job,’ Romney told the audience. ‘It has been the responsibility of the federal government to protect our borders. And the federal government has failed. If I'm lucky enough to be president of the United States, I won't fail,’ he said.” [CBN News, 9/15/11]

Romney Called The Arizona Law “A Model” For How To Enforce Immigration Laws. In a Republican debate, Romney was asked, “Should there be aggressive, seek them out, find them and arrest them as the Sheriff Arpaio advocates?” Romney said, “You know, I think you see a model in Arizona. They passed a law here that says -- that says that people who come here and try and find work, that the employer is required to look them up on e- verify. This e-verify system allows employers in Arizona to know who's here legally and who's not here legally. And as a result of e-verify being put in place, the number of people in Arizona that are here illegally has dropped by some 14 percent, where the national average has only gone down 7 percent. So going back to the question that was asked, the right course for America is to drop these lawsuits against Arizona and other states that are trying to do the job Barack Obama isn't doing.” [CNN Arizona Debate, 2/22/12]

• Arizona’s Immigration Law Requires Immigrations To Carry Their Alien Registration Documents At All Times And Requires Police To Question People If There’s Reason To Suspect They’re In The United States Illegally. “Arizona's law orders immigrants to carry their alien registration documents at all times and requires police to question people if there's reason to suspect they're in the United States illegally.” [CNN, 4/23/10]

• Arizona’s Immigration Law Would Make The Failure To Carry Immigration Documents A Crime And Give The Police Power To Detain Anyone Suspected Of Being In The Country Illegally. “The law, which proponents and critics alike said was the broadest and strictest immigration measure in generations, would make the failure to carry immigration documents a crime and give the police broad power to detain anyone suspected of being in the country illegally. Opponents have called it an open invitation for harassment and discrimination against Hispanics regardless of their citizenship status.” [New York Times, 4/23/10]

ROMNEY IS ADVISED ANTI-IMMIGRANT KANSAS SECRETARY OF STATE KRIS KOBACH
    Kansas Secretary Of State Kris Kobach Confirmed He Was Serving On The Romney Campaign As An Unpaid Advisor Even Before He Formally Endorsed Romney. “Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach (KOH'-bahk) confirms that he's serving as an unpaid adviser on immigration issues to Republican Mitt Romney's presidential campaign. Kobach told The Associated Press on Wednesday that he's been advising the former Massachusetts governor since the beginning of this year. Kobach said he started serving as an adviser even before he formally endorsed his fellow Republican last month. The Kansas secretary of state is a former law professor who's known nationally for advising state and local officials about cracking down on illegal immigration. He helped draft tough laws in Alabama and Arizona.” [Associated Press, 2/1/12]

Kris Kobach Helped Draft Immigration Laws In Arizona And Alabama. “Kobach, a Republican, pushed legislators last year to impose requirement, but some legislators were wary of the idea. Kobach is a former University of Missouri-Kansas City law professor who's become nationally known for helping state and local officials draft measures designed to crack down on illegal immigration, and he helped draft tough laws in Alabama and Arizona. He contends a proof-of-citizenship requirement will prevent illegal immigrants from registering to vote, but he sees the rule as part of a broader attempt to combat election fraud.” [Associated Press, 1/11/12]

ROMNEY WAS ENDORSED BY JAN BREWER, WHO SIGNED THE CONTROVERSIAL ARIZONA LAW THAT ALLOWS RANDOM DOCUMENT CHECKS AND DETAINMENT – WHICH ROMNEY ALSO SUPPORTED
    Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer Endorsed Mitt Romney For The Republican Presidential Nomination. GREGORY: “Are you prepared to endorse a candidate in the field?” BREWER: “Well, I am, David. I have had my debate there in Arizona, and I have looked over all the wonderful people that have put themselves up for nomination, and I have decided that I am going to publicly endorse Mitt Romney. I think he's the man that carried the day, and I will get out there and work as hard as I know how to make sure that he wins Arizona and work in other places of our country to see that he wins those places, too.” [Meet The Press, NBC, 2/26/12]

2010: Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer Signed Arizona’s Controversial Immigration Bill Into Law. “Gov. Jan Brewer of Arizona signed the nation’s toughest bill on illegal immigration into law on Friday. Its aim is to identify, prosecute and deport illegal immigrants… Republicans facing primary challenges from the right, including Ms. Brewer and Senator John McCain, have come under tremendous pressure to support the Arizona law, known as SB 1070.” [New York Times, 4/23/10]

ROMNEY SUPPORTER RUSSELL PEARCE WAS AN AUTHOR OF THE ARIZONA LAW
    Russell Pearce, Author Of Arizona’s Controversial Immigration Law Said Romney’s Immigration Policy Is “Identical To Mine. Attrition By Enforcement.” “Mitt Romney’s tough stance on illegal immigration during the 2012 campaign has won him the support of an influential conservative voice on the issue -- Russell Pearce, the former Arizona state Senate president and author of the state’s controversial anti-illegal immigration law. In an interview Tuesday night after a tea party dinner in Gilbert, Ariz., Pearce – who, in part due to his authorship of the SB 1070 law, late last year became the first Arizona legislator to be ousted from office in a recall election – described the former Massachusetts governor’s stand on illegal immigration as the same as his own. ‘His immigration policy is identical to mine,’ Pearce said. ‘Attrition by enforcement. It’s identical to mine – enforce the laws. We have good laws, just enforce them.’” [Washington Post, 4/5/12]

• Of Romney’s Position On Illegal Immigration, Pearce Said, “I Don’t Want To Take Credit For Being There And Helping Him Write It, But Much Of His Policy Was Modeled -- By People Who I’ve Worked With -- After My Legislation.” [Washington Post, 4/5/12]

ROMNEY TOUTED THE ENDORSEMENT OF FORMER CALIFORNIA GOVERNOR – KNOWN AS A “MONSTER” IN THE LATINO COMMUNITY
    Romney Announced The Endorsement Of Former California Governor Pete Wilson And Named Wilson His California Campaign Co-Chairman. [Romney For President, Press Release, 2/6/12]

San Francisco Chronicle: “To Many California Latinos, Former California Gov. Pete Wilson Is ‘A Monster… A Frankenstein.’” “To many California Latinos, former California Gov. Pete Wilson is ‘a monster ... a Frankenstein,’ says Latino leader Arturo Vargas.” [San Francisco Chronicle, 3/20/10]

Wilson Is The “Ultimate Bogeyman” To Latinos For His Support For California’s Proposition 187. “United Farm Workers President Arturo Rodriguez calls Wilson "the ultimate bogeyman" for his advocacy of 1994's anti-immigration Proposition 187 that sealed his re-election.” [San Francisco Chronicle, 3/20/10]

Statement: Romney
    Last edited by Newmexican; 05-27-2012 at 08:32 AM.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Wasserman Schultz: Romney ‘Most Extreme’ Ever and ‘Inhumane’ on Immigration
    I was hoping the DNC would help me out here! Thanks, Debbie!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn