Pencil Shavings: Anti-migrant group ALIPAC calls for boycott of Nickelodeon

http://alisavaldesrodriguez.blogspot.co ... s-for.html

Pencil Shavings

Little random scraps from the desk of writer Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez
Monday, March 10, 2008

Anti-migrant group ALIPAC calls for boycott of Nickelodeon
As if I needed any other reason to love the Nickelodeon network, whose sister network The N is valiantly working hard with me to get my teen novel HATERS turned into an original series, now comes the news that ALIPAC, a hateful, racist organization masquerading as some sort of "legal immigration" group, is calling for a boycott of the network.

Why, you ask?

Oh, that's easy. The fungus oozing around over at ALIPAC are angry that Nickelodeon did a piece on the aftershocks of the deportation wave among the US-born children of undocumented migrants. When the parents are deported, the children are left to fend for themselves. ALIPAC hates Nickelodeon for putting a tragic human face on the results of their xenophobic agenda. The ALIPAC site is filled with badly-spelled, poorly-written objections to such programming. (Why do the hateful among us seem to be the least educated? Coincidence?)

Mostly, ALIPAC is angry that Nickelodeon interviewed people from the National Council of La Raza. ALIPAC likes to claim that the NCLR is a racist organization because it has the words "la raza" in its name.

This is because ALIPAC does not understand the genesis of the phrase "la raza" in the American Latino lexicon; it was coined as a way to describe a people made of OF ALL RACES, as many of us happen to be. Thus, the Juan Luis Guerra line, "somos la raza encendida, negra, blanca y taina, pero quien descubrio a quien?" (Translation for the Spanish-impaired: "We are a fiery race, black, white and taino [native american tribe], but who discovered whom?"

It would not make a difference to ALIPAC's members if they understood their mistake, however, because as far as I can tell they ARE a racist organization, intent upon using the "immigration" issue as a shield for their brand of hate.

The entire world is waking up to the fact that the current anti-migrant nonsense in the United States is extremely dangerous, as pointed out in yet another new study showing a direct link between the type of rhetoric spewed by ALIPAC and hate crimes against all Latinos (even though not all immigrants are Latinos and not all Latinos are immigrants, the hatemongers continue to paint this in ethnic and racial terms.)

Bravo, Nickelodeon! Thank you for humanizing that which so many bigots and racists, cloaking their words of hate in a fake debate about "immigration," have tried mightily to dehumanize. You are, gracefully, da bomb.
Posted by Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez at 6:00 PM

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
I will definitely watch this special, and I will be sure to support the companies that sponsor it.
12:50 AM *

Damn Mexicans said...
They're also boycotting Dora the Explorer, Dragon Tales, and Care Bears. Then there was the thread on there where they were hoping for a economic depression so people would turn on immigrants (not kidding).

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-106730.htmlI could go on forever on how crazy these people are.
4:49 PM *
Anonymous said...
Thank you for understanding that our point in dong this show was simply, as you say, "to put a human face" on the more than three million children (all U.S. citizens) caught in a politically complicated and personally painful situation they didn't cause and can't fix.

Sincerely,
Linda Ellerbee
Executive Producer
Nick News
11:09 AM *

Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez