ICE says it will automatically vet juvenile immigrants fingerprints
05.07.10 - 4:41 pm | Sarah Phelan | (5)

A homeland security initiative raises questions about due process and juvenile confidentiality
In what appears to be another fatal blow for San Francisco's sanctuary laws--and due process in general-- officials for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) say the fingerprints of juvenile immigrants charged with serious offenses will also be automatically forwarded to ICE

"My colleagues in SF advise that the fingerprints of juveniles arrested for criminal offenses will also be vetted through Secure Communities," Virginia Kice, ICE's Western Regional Communications Director, told the Guardian.

"If that's the case, that's pretty significant," said Sup. David Campos, who was under the impression that the Secure Communities initiative would not touch juveniles. The thinking, Campos said, was that juveniles' fingerprints were handled through a separate database and therefore would be exempt from the new federal initiative.

Sheriff Mike Hennessey, who does not handle juvenile detainees, told the Guardian, "If I had to guess, I would say that Ms. Kice is correct, but it's possible that the computer could be bifurcated."

Calls to Mayor Gavin Newsom, San Francisco Juvenile Probation Department Chief William Siffermann and California Attorney General Jerry Brown (whose office maintains fingerprinting databases) remained unanswered, as of blog posting time.

http://www.sfbg.com/politics/2010/05/07 ... ngerprints