Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Instructions from activists on how to influence the courts

This is what Derechos Humanos Tucson does. They bombard the authority with letters and have recently been successful in getting one year stays for several people about to be deported. The stay allows them one full year to remain legally in the state until their case gets looked at again. Look at how it works from their web-site:

DETENTION HEARING TOMORROW, Send letter of support NOW!
    Tuesday, 26 October 2010
    Please take a moment to support a Tucson father and his family! Spread the word!

Dear Friends,

Last Friday, TUSD Ethnic Studies graduate and immigration rights activist, Michelle Rascon, experienced a traumatic experience when her father, Mr. Jesus Gilberto Rascon, was taken away by Border Patrol at the request of Tucson Police Department. Mr. Rascon was separated from his family when police couldn't come up with charges and therefore implemented SB1070 by calling the Border Patrol as a desperate attempt to criminalize him.

The Rascon family needs your solidarity and support! Since Michelle's father's detention, Michelle's mother and brother have had to move from their home and now live with family in a small one bedroom apartment. They are in need of funds to help pay for food, phone cards to send to Mr. Rascon while he is being held in Florence, Arizona, and deposit for rent so that Mrs. Rascon and her son can find another place to live.

Please help our sister, Michelle, and her family during this difficult time. We must support each other.
    Donate online or mail a check or money order to Arizona Border Rights Foundation PO Box 1286, Tucson, AZ 85702-1268, with "Rascon Family" in the memo field. Arizona Border Rights Foundation is the fiscal sponsor for Derechos Humanos.

Please read Michelle's letter for updates.

Dear Friends and Family,

Thank you all for your messages and companionship during these hard times. My husband and myself are facing most of these troubles alone, now that my mother and brother are not prepared to hear that my father could spend years in prison for re-entry. As of today they have moved in with us in our one bedroom apartment and we are "safe."

Yesterday, my father was charged with illegal re-entry and could face years in prison in addition to 1 to 2 months before sentencing. We might have a slight chance that the prosecutor will charge him for a misdemeanor instead. MY FAMILY AND I are desperate and urge you to take some time out of your day to write letters of support now that we are going through this devastating time in a very emotional time of year.

My father's name is Jesus Gilberto Rascon. During his three years with us he made us the happiest family now that we have spent 10 years separated. While he was here he decided not to work to not put himself and our family at risk nor did he carry any false documents. He spent most of his time helping my mom with house chores because she works two jobs and he also did a lot of painting now that he is very good at it and has created wonderful landscapes. He also did a lot for his mother in-law now that she is an elderly woman. My father was also instrumental in helping my brother, Gilberto Rascon II graduate from the International Baccalaureate program at Cholla High School and spent countless hours helping him with his homework. My father studied architecture for a few years in Mexico and is very intelligent. My brother graduated fifth in his class and is a freshmen at the University of Arizona and has earned a lot of college credits due to my fathers influence and patience. My dad has also provided a lot of emotional support throughout my last 3 years at the University of Arizona and has always reminded me of the value of education and the impact I can make as a lawyer.

Sample of Letter:

"To Whom It May Concern:

Write down his full name Jesus Gilberto Rascon, indicate how you know him, for how long, what kind of worker/father/family member/neighbor he is, how the entire family that lives here- US citizen children, lawful resident spouse- are being impacted.

Mention how he has raised wonderful and intelligent children who all from our community.Any positive comments or opinions or experiences are helpful."

My family and I are eternally grateful for all of the support we have received. Please take this time and help us make an impact on his case. Please email me the letters ASAP if you are able to help or fax them to
    520-884-5887.

Michelle Rascon
    mixelle1322@gmail.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

P.S. If you are able to, please attend my father's court date tomorrow at the federal building on Granada and Congress in Tucson, AZ at 10 am room 6A. There might not be much hope for my father, but we need to be witness and not normalize the separation of families and these unjust immigration polices that continually damage and terrorize our communities and families.

http://www.derechoshumanosaz.net/index. ... 0&Itemid=1
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...

sorry but no one help me Im in a difficulte time also
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Writing letters to judges is a big no-no, even though many people do it. As far as other government figures, let's hope some lowly assistant reads them and tosses them away. I don't think many high level government officials ever read any personal communications, although their aides will report what has been sent in.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)