Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Gingrey, Others Heads for Border

Gingrey, Others heads for border

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    February 6, 2011
    By Bob Keefe
    WASHINGTON, D.C.

With the Georgia Legislature debating tough new restrictions on illegal immigrant workers, Republican Rep. Phil Gingrey of Marietta went straight to the epicenter of the immigration issue.

Gingrey and several other members of Congress just returned from a nearly three-day trip along the U.S.-Mexico border, stopping in Tucson and Nogales in Arizona and Columbus, N.M., where they talked to Border Patrol agents, residents and others about their concerns.

Gingrey is a staunch proponent of tougher immigration laws.

He has introduced or co-sponsored bills that will severely restrict how many family members a legal immigrant can sponsor for citizenship and eliminate the automatic birthright citizenship of children born to illegal immigrants in the United States.

Gingrey said he last visited the nation's southern border in 2006. A lot has changed since then --- including Georgia's rise to become the state with the seventh-largest number of illegal immigrants.

Gingrey told me that his most recent visit to the border did nothing to soften his thoughts or actions on getting tougher on immigration.

If anything, he said, increased incidents of severe violence along the border have made him more determined than ever.

"The big difference I see is the increased violence," Gingrey said.

"The border is more secure than it was in 2006, but it also is a much, much more dangerous situation down there now.

"I see the level of violent activity on the border steadily increasing, and I worry about a lot of that ending up in Atlanta," he added.

Accompanying Gingrey on his border trip were fellow Republican Reps. Steve King of Iowa and Ed Royce of California.

http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/En ... 63&start=3

Accompanying Gingrey on his border trip were fellow Republican Reps. Steve King of Iowa and Ed Royce of California.
    Get the job done, the majority of Americans stands with you 100% Senators. You have nothing to fear!!!
    When you aid and support criminals, you live a criminal life style yourself:

He has introduced or co-sponsored bills that will severely restrict how many family members a legal immigrant can sponsor for citizenship and eliminate the automatic birthright citizenship of children born to illegal immigrants in the United States.

I think I like this guy You know, I hear a lot about ending birthright citizenship (which is absolutely one of the best solutions to illegal immigration I think) but I don't hear a lot about legislation to restrict how many family members a legal immigrant can sponsor.

I think I like this guy...
    As Aristotle said, “Tolerance and apathy are the first virtue of a dying civilization.â€

Quote Originally Posted by forest

I think I like this guy You know, I hear a lot about ending birthright citizenship (which is absolutely one of the best solutions to illegal immigration I think) but I don't hear a lot about legislation to restrict how many family members a legal immigrant can sponsor.

I think I like this guy...
    I agree. There are many things to tackle and numerous issues on legal immigration go ignored. Its ignored that 90% of legal immigrants are chain immigrants meaning no point system requirement, they don't have to have a useful trade, and so on. I'm all for spousal visa's and fiancee visa's along with minor child. debate on sometimes minor brothers and sisters to a degree.... maybe. But no reason for people to bring over aunts, uncles, cousins, grand parents, and all that.

I'd personally cut out all chain immigration, direct immediate family only. Secure the border deport every single illegal with their leech offspring. Then increase in a small amount legal valuable immigrants who bring something worthwhile to the US. So cut out that 90% of chain immigration and replace maybe 20-25% with skilled and positive legal immigrants.