Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Did anyone get this? This is laughable!!

The following is an email I received today. She calls them Amercian workers. Let me guess, are these ILLEGAL WORKERS they are trying to protect? Too bad if they are being abused, they need to go back home:

Dear Alisa,

Sub-poverty wages, 70-hour work weeks, abuse and exploitation.

That's working life for the men and women who pick our produce in Florida.

Take a stand – demand justice TODAY from Florida Gov. Charlie Crist!
    Workers chained to poles. Locked in trucks. Physically beaten. Robbed of pay.

It sounds too extreme to be true. But it's happening today.

For decades, Florida's farm workers have faced terrible abuses, brutal exploitation, and in the most extreme cases, forced labor. But almost as disturbing is the silence of Florida's governors – who have refused to condemn these abuses.

That's why we're calling on Florida Governor Charlie Crist to commit the full power of his office to addressing the plague of forced labor in Florida's fields.

Add your voice to this call by writing Governor Crist today!

In the past, American Rights at Work activists like you helped pressure Burger King and McDonald's to give Florida farmworkers a raise: a penny more per pound of picked tomatoes. But the Governor has stood silently by as growers blocked that raise – and workers have yet to see a dime of it.

And just this past December, federal prosecutors from the Department of Justice wrapped up yet another case of forced labor involving farmworkers – a case the Chief Assistant US Attorney called "one of Southwest Florida's biggest, ugliest slavery cases ever." Take action now.

According to court documents, workers were chained to poles, locked inside trucks, beaten, and robbed of their pay. This was the seventh of these cases in just over 10 years, which together have involved well over 1,000 workers. The record of abuse by employers in Florida is so shameful a federal prosecutor was prompted to call the state "ground zero for modern-day slavery" in the pages of the New Yorker magazine.¹

Yet, when reporters called Governor Crist's office to ask about this most recent case, the governor declined to comment, passing the call off to a spokesperson who – not once, but twice – gave the impression that one such forced labor case per year is not a big deal.²

It's time Florida's leaders took this abuse seriously. Stand with the farmworkers and demand justice from Governor Crist.

We're collaborating with the Coalition of Immokalee Workers, an organization based in Florida that's collecting signatures in support of farmworkers and coordinating a day of action in Tallahassee next month. Please join them in standing up for Florida farmworkers.

Thanks you for all that you do for America's workers.

Sincerely,

Liz Cattaneo
    American Rights at Work
    www.AmericanRightsatWork.org

¹ http://www.sfalliance.org/media/New-Yorker-4-03.pdf
    ² http://www.news-press.com/article/20081 ... 18093/1075

To stop receiving American Rights at Work E-Activist Alerts, click to unsubscribe. To stop ALL email from American Rights at Work, click to remove yourself from our lists (or reply via email with "remove or unsubscribe" in the subject line).

W H A T A J O K E!!!!!!!
    Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.*** -G.K. Chesterton from the book 'The Shack' by Wm. Paul Young-

ELE

If they are in our country illegally they have no rights.

We better send them back to Mexico.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: If they are in our country illegally they have no rights

Quote Originally Posted by ELE
    We better send them back to Mexico.
    For their own good and OURS!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Proud to be an AMERICAN

If there weren't any illegals this problem wouldn't exist.

Koobster, it's good to see you. How are you doing?
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

You know I've had several conversations with people who are from south of the border and they insist that they are Americans.
    They don't mean American citizens. They are calling themselves Americans because they come from the Americas.
    Now I point out the intellectual dishonesty that this is to them. And they get upset that I'm pointing out that they are not willing to even admit that they are not citizens. These folks aren't necessarily in this country illegally (some of the conversations are over the internet) but it's as if they think that if they can claim they are "American" then they are entitled to American benefits.

It's infuriating.

I was curious as to what 'THE COALITION OF IMMOKALEE WORKERS' was and looky what I found:

The Coalition of Immokalee Workers (CIW) is "a community-based worker organization" whose members are "largely Latino, Haitian, and Mayan Indian immigrants working in low-wage jobs throughout the state of Florida." Structured along the lines of a "workers' center" model, the Coalition seeks to involve its members in working on behalf of their interests. Formed in 1993, the organization has seen major successes, including an historical agreement with Taco Bell in March 2005 and various ongoing anti-slavery actions.

http://www.ciw-online.org/index.html

Even more pro-illegal than I could imagine!!! Wonder the amount of our tax monies goes to this pathetic organization?
    Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.*** -G.K. Chesterton from the book 'The Shack' by Wm. Paul Young-

Quote Originally Posted by tinybobidaho
    Koobster, it's good to see you. How are you doing?

I am here, a little tired because of the rall. Man you guys should of seen it, will be posting pictures later today.I took almost 300 pictures.
    Man you should of seen those illegals.Most of these people where messsicants.
    I was yelling so hard. I have a sore throat now, but it was worth it.
    Proud to be an AMERICAN