Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Arizona Official Dares Mayor Villaraigosa To Boycott The Sta

By Dennis Romero, Tuesday, May. 18 2010 @ 2:26PM

L.A. is part owner of the Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station in Arizona.
    An Arizona public utilities official on Tuesday dared Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa to follow through with the city's economic boycott of Arizona by giving up the 25 percent of L.A's power he says the city gets from the desert state.
    In a letter obtained by the Weekly, Arizona Corporation Commissioner Gary Pierce writes to Villaraigosa to express that he was "dismayed" by the boycott over the state's controversial immigration law and noted that "twenty-five percent of the electricity consumed in Los Angeles is generated by power plants in Arizona." (We sort of told you so on that one).
    Then pierce got fierce:
    "If an economic boycott is truly what you desire, I will be happy to encourage Arizona utilities to renegotiate your power agreements so Los Angeles no longer receives any power from Arizona-based generation. I am confident that Arizona's utilities would be happy to take those electrons off your hands. If, however, you find that the City Council lacks the strength of its convictions to turn off the lights in Los Angeles and boycott Arizona power, please reconsider the wisdom of attempting to harm Arizona's economy."
    Ouch.
    Actually, the city's boycott deftly sidestepped the issue of L.A.'s dependence on Arizona energy. It bans city travel to the state, prohibits new contracts with Arizona-based businesses, and requires a review of existing contracts with firms in the state.
    However, L.A.'s energy ties to Arizona involve plants where the city has partial ownership and transmission lines that fall under complex, multi-jurisdictional agreements. What's more, at least one of the generating plants, we've been told, is on sovereign, Native American land.
    So it seems like both sides here are all bark.
    Tags:
    Arizona boycott, Arizona immigration law, DWP, electricity, illegal immigration, immigration, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, power plants

I say we just cut off the lights...... as part of our boycott against the boycotters
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

My brother told me the Arizona Kid Care medical program is adminsitered by a company in Los Angeles. Maybe The State of Arizona needs to review that contract. Wonder how many LA employees would be affected by that and find thenselves unemployed and re-employ some Arizonans.

Quote Originally Posted by azwreath
    I say we just cut off the lights...... as part of our boycott against the boycotters
    LOL..yea....TURN EM OFF!! Maybe a few months in the dark will adjust their attitude.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Arizonaman2008
    My brother told me the Arizona Kid Care medical program is adminsitered by a company in Los Angeles. Maybe The State of Arizona needs to review that contract. Wonder how many LA employees would be affected by that and find thenselves unemployed and re-employ some Arizonans.
    Everything in Arizona should be run by Arizonians. Bring the jobs to Arizona. I hope...hope...hope...hope, they have contracts with Cali that they can pull out of too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by redpony353
    Quote Originally Posted by azwreath
    LOL..yea....TURN EM OFF!! Maybe a few months in the dark will adjust their attitude.
    LA would implode if they were thrown into darkness without electricity to run their surveillance cameras, alarms, law enforcement communications, etc. The whole city has basically been taken over by Mexican gangs and drug lords and Mexican peasants. Just two nights without electricity and the looters and criminals would really have a field day in that God forsaken, Mexicanized cesspool. There would be a complete breakdown and take over of that city by the criminals they allow to live there.
    I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.
    ~Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)

AZ utility board member responds to LA boycott over SB1070
    posted at 2:55 pm on May 18, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

The Los Angeles City Council voted to boycott the state of Arizona over its new immigration-enforcement law, and now the Arizona Corporation Commission has responded. Gary Pierce, one of the commissioners chosen in state-wide elections to the utility regulation panel, notes that Los Angeles gets about 25% of its power from Arizona producers. If the City of Angels really wants a boycott, Pierce offers his services to help, as he explains in a letter to Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and copied to Hot Air:

Dear Mayor Villaraigosa,

I was dismayed to learn that the Los Angeles City Council voted to boycott Arizona and Arizona-based companies — a vote you strongly supported — to show opposition to SB 1070 (Support our Law Enforcement and Safe Neighborhoods Act).

You explained your support of the boycott as follows: “While we recognize that as neighbors, we share resources and ties with the State of Arizona that may be difficult to sever, our goal is not to hurt the local economy of Los Angeles, but to impact the economy of Arizona. Our intent is to use our dollars — or the withholding of our dollars — to send a message.â€
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

May 18, 2010
    Ariz. official dares L.A. to stage boycott
    City would give up quarter of its electricity
    Comments (8 )

By Stephen Dinan

The spat over Arizona's new immigration law expanded Tuesday as a state official dared Los Angeles to follow through on its new boycott by agreeing to give up the 25 percent of electricity the city gets from Arizona sources.

In a letter to Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, Arizona Corporation Commissioner Gary Pierce said a boycott war is bad for both sides, and said he would "be happy to encourage Arizona utilities to renegotiate your power agreements" to end the electricity flowing to Los Angeles.

"I am confident that Arizona's utilities would be happy to take those electrons off your hands," Mr. Pierce said. "If, however, you find that the City Council lacks the strength of its convictions to turn off the lights in Los Angeles and boycott Arizona power, please reconsider the wisdom of attempting to harm Arizona's economy."

Los Angeles City Council voted overwhelmingly last week to adopt a boycott of Arizona businesses - at least in instances where it wouldn't impose a significant economic cost to the city.

Arizona's law requires police to ask for proof of legal residence from anyone they reasonably suspect to be in the country illegally. In most cases, a driver's license is sufficient to comply, and the law prohibits using race or ethnicity as a reason for suspicion.

Nonetheless, critics say they expect the measure to spark racial profiling.

Civil rights and Hispanic groups have sued to try to block the law, and the Obama administration is reviewing the legislation to see if it violates civil rights laws.

The law goes into effect in July, but already a number of municipalities have condemned or announced boycotts of Arizona. Mr. Villaraigosa said his city's boycott was intended to hurt the Arizona economy.

Mr. Pierce, the Arizona official, said in his letter to Mr. Villaraigosa that this was a poor path to trod.

"I received your message; please receive mine," he said.

A message left with the Mr. Villaraigosa's office was not returned.

But Mr. Villaraigosa offered his own tongue-in-cheek challenge to Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon this week in a bet over the NBA playoff series between the Los Angeles Lakers and Phoenix Suns.

Mr. Villaraigosa said if Phoenix wins, Los Angeles will have to accept Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, a fierce opponent of illegal immigration. If the Lakers win, Mr. Villaraigosa said Phoenix will have to accept Steve Poizner and Meg Whitman, two Republicans battling for the GOP's gubernatorial nomination in California, where illegal immigration is a major issue.

www.washingtontimes.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

AZ to L.A.:

SNIP...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast