Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigration Officers Won't Enter Church For Arrest

Immigration Officers Won't Enter Church For Arrest
    Elvira Arellano Sought Sanctuary In Church Tuesday

(AP) CHICAGO Immigration enforcement officers do not plan to enter a storefront church on the city's West Side where an activist has sought sanctuary since she was scheduled to be deported this week, a government official said Friday.

Elvira Arellano and her 7-year-old son have been living in the Adalberto United Methodist Church since Tuesday when the 31-year-old single mother was supposed to surrender to authorities for deportation to Mexico.

Officials with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement had said they would apprehend Arellano at a time and place "of their choosing" and that nothing prevented them from going into the church. But on Friday, a government official close to the case said immigration agents have decided against entering the church to remove Arellano.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because it is against ICE policy to discuss operational matters, said the Arellano case carries "no more priority than any of the other 500,000 fugitives nationally."

She will be apprehended "at an appropriate time and place," the official said.

Arellano said Friday that she was unaware of the decision.

Rev. Walter Coleman, the church's pastor, said the decision gives Arellano more time to fight for a stay of deportation.

"We are very thankful to God that there is a space that has been created where the voice of family unity can be heard," he said.

Activists on both sides of the immigration issue across the U.S. are following Arellano's plight. Dolores Huerta, a leader in the effort to organize the nation's farm workers, visited Arellano on Thursday.

Arellano was deported shortly after illegally crossing into the United States in 1997. She returned within days, living for three years in Oregon before moving to Chicago in 2000. She was arrested two years later at O'Hare International Airport, where she was working as a cleaning woman, and convicted of working under a false Social Security number.

In the years since her 2002 arrest, she has become a vocal proponent for immigration reform. Arellano, whose son is a U.S. citizen, is president of United Latino Family, a group that lobbies for families that could be split by deportation.

She says she wants to stay in the U.S. to provide a better life for her son.

While she has remained inside the church the last few days, she said her son has ventured out in front of the building to play, but never without a companion.

"I don't want him to be out there for very long," she said in Spanish.

http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/local ... 25954.html
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

Not even to give her the "Mother of the Year" award?
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

If they won't enter the church to do their job, then they should be fired and let others that will, step in to do the jobs they won't do.
    Build the dam fence post haste!

MW
    Rev. Walter Coleman, the church's pastor, said the decision gives Arellano more time to fight for a stay of deportation.
    Yeah, not only does Rev. Coleman know this, so does ICE and her congressional supporters!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

What a huge waste of a publicity stunt. I wonder at times if maybe this event is subliminally sending Americans a message.
    Granted this event makes me mad to no end, but I also perceive that the pro illegal movement has become desperate, they will resort to this. And hopefully they are resorting to this because maybe they know they are fighting a losing battle.
    Maybe the House's stance is sending the suggestion to the illegal community that it is very possible their day in the sun is now over.
    I may be reaching on this one, but this seems to be a very desperate move from the losing side. I can only hope anyway.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by nittygritty
    If they won't enter the church to do their job, then they should be fired and let others that will, step in to do the jobs they won't do.
    Agreed. Having been in and around the Federal bureaucracy before, I know what people will say: 'but, but, but... what will my boss say?', And his/her boss?, etc. Just do your job people - the mass of US citizens ('Americans') will support you (just look at the Ramos and Compean situation)

Be sure to charge the good reverend with aiding, abetting and harboring an illegal alien while they're at it too. I'd also revoke the church's tax-exempt status since they're obviously engaging in politicial activity and/or lobbying certain political concepts as well.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I saw Sean Hannity shut this minister down last night, tickled me to death.
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Quote Originally Posted by nittygritty
    I saw Sean Hannity shut this minister down last night, tickled me to death.
    Darn, sorry I missed that. Oh well - that makes my day!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

If she gets to stay in the church without being apprehended AND we actually get a situation where ICE is doing a lot of deportations look for illegals to start living in churches across the country.

They just need to go remove her. This is getting ridiculous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast