Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

RTP, NC Latino capital of the east

http://www.hispaniconline.com/magazine/ ... 10-10.html

Googling around and found this. Follow the link to see which other areas are so highly regarded. I know its almost four years old, but...

10 RALEIGH-DURHAM-CHAPEL HILL

With the Blue Ridge mountains to the west and the beaches of the Outer Banks to the east, North Carolina has suddenly become The Destination for new Latino immigrants. Since the last census, the Triangle (and Raleigh’s Wake County in particular) has experienced a nearly 500 percent increase in its Hispanic population of mostly Mexicans. It started with the economic boom of the ’90s and huge demands for unskilled labor in the construction, poultry and meat-processing, and hospitality industries. That’s transforming what used to be a black-white duopoly into an increasingly diverse area. Of the Triangle’s 1,031,600 residents, about 5 percent are Hispanic. That sounds tiny, but the area’s receiving 10,000 new arrivals annually.

“My prediction is that we will eventually be the Latino capital of the east,” says Puerto Rican Nolo Martínez, director of Gov. Mike Easley’s Office of Hispanic/Latino Affairs in Raleigh. “The future of our growth is going to surpass any other city that has become too busy and too big for other Hispanics. In a town like Raleigh, the Triangle, so far away from the border, the speed and the transformation that we have had is faster and stronger than any other place on your list. I mean, we have the highest number of monolingual speakers in any state in the union.”

James H. Johnson, Jr., director of the Urban Investment Strategies Center at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, explains that employers began heavily recruiting Mexicans to the state through informal networks in traditional gateway border communities like Los Angeles and Texas, traditional Hispanic strongholds like Miami and New York, and also directly from Mexico.

“This process crept up on people in North Carolina,” Johnson says. “It began in the ‘80s and really accelerated in the ‘90s. In 1992, it was clear to me that me that this state was radically different and really changing.”

Unlike earlier Latino waves, who came and went as migrant farm workers, this one’s not ephemeral.

“We have permanent interests in the state,” Martínez says. “Considering people think this is a backward, conservative, hick place full of rednecks, I’d say it’s been welcoming.”
    Maybe because part of the affinity between Southerners and Latinos is strong family and religious values. (And socializing. Forbes just cited the Triangle as the fourth best place in America to be single.) With Sunday mass available en español, ESL in public schools, superb colleges (like Chapel Hill and Duke University in Durham), a high-tech boom in Research Triangle Park, low crime, a mild and unpolluted climate, easy commutes, affordable cost of living (houses average $164,600), two Spanish-language newspapers, several Spanish-language radio stations, a Latino credit union, El Centro Hispano (which handles everything from court translation to cultural events), a soccer league, a Mexican consulate, a statewide advocacy group called El Pueblo, a web resource guide called www.ayudate.org, Hispanic bodegas and restaurants—we’d say Dixie’s goin’ Latin.

Maybe because part of the affinity between Southerners and Latinos is strong family and religious values.
    As a Southerner, I strongly disagree with this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by gofer
    Maybe because part of the affinity between Southerners and Latinos is strong family and religious values.
    As a Southerner, I strongly disagree with this statement.
    Gofer, I agree. I lived in Asheville NC for two years, and got to know many good southern families. I haven't met any latino families with the same values as the people I met in the south.
    Well they got one out of two correct. Southerners do have strong family and religious values. I believe only a small handful of latinos actually have these values, but the majority would just as soon sell their brothers and sisters to get ahead.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Re: RTP, NC Latino capital of the east

Maybe because part of the affinity between Southerners and Latinos is strong family and religious values. (And socializing. Forbes just cited the Triangle as the fourth best place in America to be single.) With Sunday mass available en español, ESL in public schools, superb colleges (like Chapel Hill and Duke University in Durham), a high-tech boom in Research Triangle Park, low crime, a mild and unpolluted climate, easy commutes, affordable cost of living (houses average $164,600), two Spanish-language newspapers, several Spanish-language radio stations, a Latino credit union, El Centro Hispano (which handles everything from court translation to cultural events), a soccer league, a Mexican consulate, a statewide advocacy group called El Pueblo, a web resource guide called www.ayudate.org, Hispanic bodegas and restaurants—we’d say Dixie’s goin’ Latin.
    Oh No! Don't publish more crap like this to encourage more illegal aliens to come to the Triangle. I live in Wake County, NC, and it is very crowded and becomes more so every year.
    People who take issue with control of population do not understand that if it is not done in a graceful way, nature will do it in a brutal fashion - Henry Kendall

End foreign aid until America fixes it's own poverty first - me

The date on the article is about when the onslaught on the triangle occured. Doing a google turns up dozens of articles about the benefits to Latinos who want to move to the area. Now the onslaught is turning into a tsunami because of the word of mouth. How many years before they start saying the area is overcrowded, lousy schools, gang ridden, crime ridden, hospitals failing, full of drunken drivers, cant find a decent soccer field, dirty, and time to move on somewhere else; because of you know who?

“We have permanent interests in the state,” Martínez says. “Considering people think this is a backward, conservative, hick place full of rednecks, I’d say it’s been welcoming.”
    What an insult!

Now we have jail overcrowding, school overcrowding, water shortages, foreign nationals routinely make the news for DUIs, gang stories and drug busts.

Quote Originally Posted by ncback
    http://www.hispaniconline.com/magazine/2002/july-aug/CoverStory/top10-10.html

James H. Johnson, Jr., director of the Urban Investment Strategies Center at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, explains that employers began heavily recruiting Mexicans to the state through informal networks in traditional gateway border communities like Los Angeles and Texas, traditional Hispanic strongholds like Miami and New York, and also directly from Mexico.

“This process crept up on people in North Carolina,” Johnson says. “It began in the ‘80s and really accelerated in the ‘90s. In 1992, it was clear to me that me that this state was radically different and really changing.”
    Makes me wonder if there is any evidence of recruiting "Illegal Mexicans" which would then open these employers up to predatory and/or unfair business practice lawsuits?

The reason it crept up on people is because they don't expect companies and special interest groups to run our government for us. They and we were under the delusion that our Constitution was being guarded by our government enforcing laws. Amnesty 1986 proved us wrong on that. I guess in hindsight that was the year Special Interest took over officially in this country.

Trouble

Oh No! Don't publish more crap like this to encourage more illegal aliens to come to the Triangle. I live in Wake County, NC, and it is very crowded and becomes more so every year.[/quote]

Poor Annie . I think your fears are very justified . Mexicans are nomads - they come , use the territory , resources , people , infrastructure - until nothing more left to use and then they move to another territory .
    They are not attached to their own country - so why should they care about this country ? This is just one more place for them to destroy .
    I think we will be all right , but there should be more of us screaming and helping William .
    It is also good to consolidate - I do not understand why some of the anti-illegal sites are really fighting with each other instead of getting together and doing something useful - I hope people will realize this soon enough
    " Do not compromise yourself . You are all you've got ." -Janice Joplin .

Once these illegals are established in any community the only way to reduce the number is to get tough on employers and enact laws against illegal social services like many communities and states are now doing.Several cities in my state are now officially sanctuary cities and coddle illegals.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble
    Quote Originally Posted by ncback
    http://www.hispaniconline.com/magazine/2002/july-aug/CoverStory/top10-10.html

Makes me wonder if there is any evidence of recruiting "Illegal Mexicans" which would then open these employers up to predatory and/or unfair business practice lawsuits?

The reason it crept up on people is because they don't expect companies and special interest groups to run our government for us. They and we were under the delusion that our Constitution was being guarded by our government enforcing laws. Amnesty 1986 proved us wrong on that. I guess in hindsight that was the year Special Interest took over officially in this country.

Trouble
    I have seen pictures of billboards in mexico advertising jobs in places around north carolina. Its not just the illegals that dont care about our laws...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast