Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Painters/Drywallers Affected by Illegal Labor

I know a gentleman in the painting/drywall industry who is getting hammered by illegal competitors. Some of you may be in this trade, or in construction/home improvement. Any advice that I can give to him to stay one step ahead of the companies using illegals?

His company is the only one I'm aware of in my community that still uses legal labor for painting/drywall. Do your communities have Americans doing painting/drywall?

Ostrich

I work at a company who sells drywall tools to retailers. We have a small showroom / store for local customers.

I would say 98-99% of all retail customers are mexicans.

I live in the metro Atlana area and we need a new roof but I don't want to hire a company that is either hispanic owned or used hispanic labor but I cannot find an AMERICAN roofer, with Americans as crews.

Anyone in Atlanta recommend a roofer for me?

Here in the Pittsburgh area we still have American citizens doing construction work Had my roof replaced two years ago and everyone spoke english and were pretty darn cute to boot

It has been suggested before that if a business man discovers he's being undercut by his competitor that hires illegal aliens, he should turn that business in by contacting ICE. Another alternative might be to sue.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

P.ainters/Drywallwers

All I can say is "Boy, Howdy!" I have barely seen anyone BUT Hispanics in those two trades here on the West Coast. A week ago there were some investigators from some State departments checking our job site. They were looking for: unlicensed contractors (Construction Contractors or Builder's Board), contractors not paying for accident insurance (insurance tax fraud), contractors not paying into State revenue (Revenue Dept. if your State has an income tax).

It is not untypical for a completely fly by night operation to violate all of these, But, how are you gonna know who's an actual violator? The investigator I spoke to told me that these State departments (what they are called in your state, I wouldn't know) collectively have a "sleuthing" handbook to look for tell tale signs of violators. The Hispanics are often of little help themselves, since they can retreat into non-English mode when questioned. Then getting the State departments to actually take action is hard, too. They may easily spend more on investigation than they can COLLECT on a fine, especially on the small fry. If the company owner is fined, the workers can go somewhere else. The company may just sneak off to another state (Most of the US is busy, thanks to Greenspan and Benanke).

Not knowing all the sleuthing tricks, I would look for old, junky vehicles, messy work, poorly organized equipment and supplies, lots of undisposed trash--- as signs of an under the table contractor.( remember contracting is inherently messy so don't assume too much) It's an uphill battle but needs to be done. The immigration reform movement here recently requested input from displaced contractors. I don't know what they are planning to do with the info. Check in your area.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We have a friend who is a painter. When we need work done, we hire him. He is an American, and I have no problem paying what he asks. I know him and trust him around my children. I even left him our house key to let himself in and out while I was out doing errands. I don't know how anyone can hire some guy off the street to come into their home. Now I see day loiterers hanging out in front of the paint stores.

From a marketing stand point he should start pointing out that he checks the legal status of all employees with the Federal Governments work authorization verification program (and if he doesn't he should).

Tell him to do a marketing blitz using local talk radio stations, newspapers and the local backpage and craigslist advertising claiming this and it should help bolster his work load.

The ads should proclaim that fact and possibly mention something like "If your contractor will cut corners with labor cost think what they will do to your house"

He should also report any suspicious activities to ICE. This happened in Wichita and the competitor that got reported is paying a hefty fine and went out of business (welding industry i believe)

Remember business is all about competitive advantage. Most people in his industry have stooped to this low level to compete in the market, but they don't realize or think that it will cost them in the end. I would hope if he takes a big public stand against using illegal labor then people would respect and trust him more.

p.s. I am here for brainstorming ideas if you can get me a marketing budget etc...

Banned
    TheOstrich
    There are many companies around here that hire only illegals now, but there are two big companies that refuse to hire them . I own one of them .
    The Mexicans are only allowed, as in most industry’s, to make it in the track house. (Fast work for chump change) and they screw those homes up.

The custom work is left to Guys like me, the big boys ,the American trades men, the big cohunes the cats meow. Left to Men that care about the work and what the job looks like and is it done right,
    not how fast you can get it down ,or how cheep you can be. Its Left to true Americans.

Believe it or not , some things have started to change in the building trades .
    Builders are not so quick to sell out, and small business are hiding in the shadows when it comes to the illegals.

To me that means our job, all our work is beginning to pay off .

The best advice I can give you is to report the companies in your area one by one, and make a seen if you have too, jump up and down and scream . Kick your feet, and say hell no not in my town.

If you have at least ten years experience and go to a dry wall company and ask for a job, and if they don’t give it too you today its because of (a) they don’t have the work or (b) all they use is illegals or ( c) you have burned all your bridges all ready.
    But since you off work already go out after one of their trucks leaving their offices and see which is the case .
    It is more then likely (b), but the residential side is a little slow.

If a illegals can cry race and discrimination then so can an American . And the men in the women that made America what it is today, the men and women that built this country will not sit home while some criminal steals their job . If you do your a fool or just don’t care.
    TAKE BACK YOUR WORK AMERICA

Thank you everyone for your replies and tips.

GregAGreatAmerican: What do you mean by "Track Houses?" I understood the rest of what you were saying, but not that part.]

Greg, have you noticed more illegals working on the residential side, or the commercial side? Just curious.

Have a good one,

Ostrich

In North Carolina I never see an American working in residential construction and there is still alot of building going on in NC. How are the builders allowed to get away wtih this?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast