Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Stopping Illegal Immigration: Focusing on Jobs

Seems like I'm seeing more news about employers hiring illegals, that's a good sign because that's the root of the problem!
    Comments are being left after this article at the source link.

~~~

Stopping Illegal Immigration: Focusing on Jobs
    Aug 2, 2007

Last week, I wrote about how states can help stop illegal immigration by eliminating the incentives and rewards for people who jump our borders. I focused on making sure that only legal immigrants are allowed to attend our public colleges and universities. This week, I want to look at how we can stop the flow of illegal aliens into Missouri by making it harder for them to find employment.

Now, this issue can be a little tricky. First, we can't tolerate businesses and employers who go out trolling for illegal workers just to improve their bottom line. At the same time, we don't want to destroy honest employers who don't know they have illegal aliens in their workforce. And, we don't want to run off hard working immigrants who do everything right and come to this country through the proper channels.

Cracking down on employers who intentionally hire illegal aliens is a no-brainer. But what about those employers who accidentally hire illegal immigrants? Think it can't happen? Ask yourself one question, how would you know if one of your workers was here illegally? Remember, illegal aliens come in all shapes, colors and accents. You'd have to rely on the federal government to help you out. But, right now, they're just not very helpful.

I was told about one employer who hired three workers. When they turned in their paper work, the employer noticed their Social Security numbers were sequential. In other words, their Social Security numbers were exactly the same except for the last digit. This should have been impossible.

The employer called the federal government and asked them what to do. He was told not to fire the workers because he could get sued. That employer was in a bind. He was pretty sure he had illegal aliens working for him, but the federal government has specifically told him he couldn't do anything about it.

If you are an honest employer what are you supposed to do? We can't force our businesses, especially our smaller employers, to serve as the INS. They don't have the resources or time.

To solve this problem, the federal government needs to work with the states to develop a quick and reliable way to check the immigration status of potential workers. This way, honest employers can avoid hiring illegal immigrants and dishonest businesses will have no excuse to hide behind.

The number one reason people come to America illegally is to find a job. By helping employers identify illegal aliens we can make it virtually impossible for illegal immigrants to find work. As the jobs dry up, so should our illegal immigration crisis.

As always, if you have any questions on this or any other issue, I can be reached at 573-751-5912 in my Jefferson City office, or through the mail at: Speaker Rod Jetton, State Capitol, Jefferson City, MO, 65102. Also, you can reach me through email at rod.jetton@house.mo.gov.

Speaker Rod Jetton, 201 W. Capitol Ave, Jefferson City, MO 65101

http://www.dailyjournalonline.com/artic ... 932085.txt
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I don't doubt there are instances where an employer could know, but couldn't prove they were illegals. That is probably why the federal government hasn't made it's verification system more certain.

If the employer could enter the person's name, DOB, sex, and ask SS if everything matched, that would go a very long way to proving the person isn't legal.

There is no way, however, that I would give a pass to a lot of these businesses though. Yes, illegals come in all colors, sexes, ages, etc., but there is a good possibility that an employer would have an inkling and could forestall hiring or just find a reason not to hire. They seem to be able to find reasons not to hire American citizens - why can't they find reasons not to hire illegals?

A man applied to my son's company and all his SS# checked out as valid. My son was pretty sure he was illegal, but their lawyer told them they needed to tread softly. Of course, they were going to check his DL, driving record, etc. The situation took care of itself, however. The next day the applicant called and told them he had another SS# he wanted to use!!!!

Now I would say that's a clue.

Yes, some might slip by and I suspect it will be the employers caught between a rock and a hard place that will get prosecuted.

My husband had a minor procedure in the doctor's office last week, and was going to have to wait in the office for a while. I decided to run up to the Goodwill store to find a book to read. There was a Mexican woman working there, and an American lady who is manager. Another young Mexican woman came in and the other Mexican lady took her to the office.

The manager asked the MExican lady, 'Is that the one you told me about?'

"yes'.

'Can she speak English?'

'Yes, some."

'Can she read English"

"Yes, some."

"Can she read enough to read and fill out the forms?"

'No, you will have to read them to her."

Now, somehow, that would give ME a clue.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)