Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Is Asking Immigration Status Racial Profiling?

Is Asking Immigration Status Racial Profiling?

Aug 14, 2007 08:46 AM EDT
    http://www.waaytv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6928345

HUNTSVILLE,AL- Owning a business in Huntsville doesn't mean you have to be a U.S. Citizen.

That's what some illegal immigrants are saying this morning. Police officers have arrested at least two illegal immigrants who say they own businesses.

WAAY spoke with a Huntsville busniess owner who says, she's not a U.S.Citizen, but was given a business license anyway.

After speaking with her husband, he says, he used his Mexican ID card to apply for the permits. We took the issue to a city councilman.

Councilman Bill Kling blames the federal government. "the big problem that Huntsville is finding is that congress will not take any action. Neither the Democrats or the Republicans do not want to offend the take any action.

Neither the Democrats or the Republicans do not want to offend the hispanic voters and basically cities around the country such as Huntsville are having a very tough time."

Kling says, "catching these people is a simple as following your gut instinct. City officials asking them, if they're an illegal."

However, some would say, that's racial profiling.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It wouldn't be racial profiling if you ask everyone for the same documentation, so just do it. Americans won't mind.

These cities are passing the buck.

Here in Texas your sales tax license - which you much have for any kind of retail sales - is your SS#. When you make the report, you use that number.

Maybe other states are different.

But bottom line, you are supposed to be 'legal' to be here - so the question of owning a business is down the line there.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by nntrixie
    These cities are passing the buck.

Here in Texas your sales tax license - which you much have for any kind of retail sales - is your SS#. When you make the report, you use that number.

Maybe other states are different.

But bottom line, you are supposed to be 'legal' to be here - so the question of owning a business is down the line there.
    In Nebraska they don't use your social security number for your sales tax permit so it appears that states do differ on this thank goodness. I wouldn't use my permit if it was my social number. However, they do give us a number to use for buying and selling and to make our reports with.

It doesn't bother me as I don't use it where anyone sees it - only to collect and report taxes.

But don't you have to have a SS# to get the licenses. I always assumed the figures I give the state are either sent or available to the federal government - should I not report all my income.

nntrixie-I've had my permit for a long time and I'm 99% sure that I had to give my ssn to get it.

I think the sequence is that you must have a state tax number to get a business license and to get the tax number you have to furnish a social security number.

Is Asking Immigration Status Racial Profiling

Although this article concerns "racial profiling" in obtaining business licenses, I felt this forum was the best one for logging in the news about my city of Albuquerque. The city has attempted to stop the police amd sheriff departments from determining if an alleged felon is an illegal immigrant, calling it "racial profiling". The police are protesting this law, saying it would allow "alleged" felons free to roam our streets. Okay, I am living in a virtual sanctuary city where we are one of the highest in the nation for violent crime, have obtained an "f" in our educational system and rate very poorly in health care (except for the illegals coming in from Mexico). I still would love to have another Boston Tea Party where we toss all of congess (with the exception of a few) into the Boston Harbor. Just a joke.

There was an article about Albuquerque posted on the
    mews stories thread today.

http://www.alipac.us./modules.php?name= ... ic&t=77658

In the case of an invasion, we MUST profile to identify our enemy! To hell with political correctness if we are to survive!

Law enforcement could use language as a means to identify illegal aliens. If someone doesn't know any English, they are probably illegal and the police should be able to use this as probable cause to ask about their status. It's a start!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast