Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Erskine Bowles Dec. 6 Statement on Guidelines for UNC Undocu

Erskine Bowles Dec. 6 Statement on Guidelines for UNC Undocumented Students

Posted: Today at 6:48 p.m.

Statement of UNC President Erskine Bowles on the University of North Carolina’s guidelines on undocumented students:

Since 2004, the University of North Carolina has had a set of guidelines on the admission of undocumented students that we believe conforms to current state and federal law. In short:

1. Undocumented students must have graduated from high school in the United States.

2. They may not receive state or federal financial aid in the form of grants or loans.

3. They must pay out-of-state tuition.

4. Even if they live in North Carolina or graduated from a North Carolina high school, they must be considered out of state when calculating the 18% cap on out-of-state freshmen.

5. When admitting students into specific programs, campuses must take into account that federal law prohibits states from granting professional licenses to undocumented aliens.

I personally believe that these guidelines are directionally right for the following basic reasons:

1. These undocumented graduates of our North Carolina public schools were brought here as minors by their parents. I do not believe that you should punish the child for the sins of the parent. That core value was instilled in me by my own parents and upbringing.

2. Like it or not, these undocumented people are here. Demographers estimate that there are at least 270,000 undocumented people in North Carolina. I do not believe we can adopt the ostrich theory and just stick our heads in the sand and pretend they are _not_ here. We have to deal with reality – and the reality is that by 2017, there will be 30,000 additional high school graduates in North Carolina, and 22,000 of them will be Hispanic.

3. Today, North Carolina must compete globally for the jobs of the future. We live in a knowledge-based global economy that requires a highly skilled, highly trained workforce. Hispanics are the fastest-growing segment of the North Carolina population. They will be a large part of our future workforce. If they are not educated, we run the risk of creating another permanent underclass. Without education, they will become a drain on society. With education, they have a chance to be productive members of our communities.

There are two additional points I want to make:

1. It makes me furious that our federal government is doing such a miserable job in protecting our borders. It’s really terrible that they seem to have just dumped this problem on the states. The federal government then compounds the problem of illegal immigration by taking what I believe is a completely illogical approach to educating undocumented children. Given that federal law mandates that no state can deny a free K-12 education to undocumented children, it makes no sense that federal law takes a complete dive on whether we should offer these same children access to public higher education. North Carolina cannot afford to take that kind of dive. We have to have a highly educated workforce to compete in a knowledge-based global economy.

2. Finally, the UNC Tomorrow Commission has recommended that the University work to increase educational attainment among all underrepresented groups, including Hispanics. As one of many strategies, it recommends that the University examine “whether and under what circumstances, if any, undocumented students who graduate from North Carolina high schools and who are academically qualified for admission to a UNC institution should be charged in-state tuition.â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Even the Bible says the "sins of the fathers are passed to the children". Ask the childen of prisoners or drug-addicted parents or children born with HIV or addicted to drugs. Apparently illegal aliens should be exempted from this force. While all is unfortunate, it nevertheless is a fact and what is being "passed on" to society by ignoring laws? The sins are being passed to the American people. We are expected to "atone" for those breaking the law. That in itself is immoral.

What is the official policy on employing Illegal Aliens at the schools?

And if they hire illegal aliens do they or family members get free or reduced tuition fees?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

These young adult IA's should be encouraged to go to college in their home countries especially now that more and more states are clamping down on IA's and it will be nearly impossible for them to get a job.

The Mexican youth need to be encouraged to take advantage of low cost/no cost tution in Mexico.

I would hope someday American children can have low cost higher education if they are to compete with other countries who educate their children with low cost tuition.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by jimpasz
    What is the official policy on employing Illegal Aliens at the schools?

And if they hire illegal aliens do they or family members get free or reduced tuition fees?
    Many universities seem to be able to create new H1-B positions for foreigners on an ad-hoc basis. I am not expert enough to comment so I don't want to be accused of not having the facts; it seems that all a university has to do is hire a foriegner and they get some sort of automatic work permit. I would imagine that if you called your closest local university they would deny that this happens even if it does...

. When admitting students into specific programs, campuses must take into account that federal law prohibits states from granting professional licenses to undocumented aliens.
    Do they teach them how to fly but deny pilot licenses?

Fences make good neighbors.
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Erskine Bowles pushing the bowel movement.

Quote Originally Posted by MyAmerica
    Do they teach them how to fly but deny pilot licenses?
    I guess we're lucky we don't have a flight school.

had_enuf wrote:
    guess we're lucky we don't have a flight school.
    But you do through the community colleges at least.

List of NCCC courses:
    http://www.ncccs.cc.nc.us/programs/comm ... ibrary.htm

Click on "doc" under Aerospace and flight training and it will take you to course description. Granted they don't learn to fly jets in this course. but this is the basics enroute.

Aerospace and flight training--flight-Private pilot, flight simulator, etc
    http://www.ncccs.cc.nc.us/programs/docs ... ov2001.doc

Flight-Private Pilot
    "This course provides the hands-on training needed to qualify for Federal Aviation Administration private pilot certificate..............."

"Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Added to Home PAge with Note
    http://www.alipac.us/article2775.html
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast