From: 9-11 Families for a Secure America <911fsalist@reply.ms00.net>
Date: 2006/10/12 Thu AM 08:07:27 EDT
Subject: 9/11 Families for a Secure America -October 12th - Mike Cutler commentary on Washington Times article "Fence funding in budget just the start"
9-11 FSA Families and Friends:

Please read the hyper-link article Mike refers to and the usual drill, contact your elected officials and the media and express your outrage concerning the issues raised herein.

Thanks. Bruce

U.S. House of Representatives - U.S. Congress (House and Senate) 800-648-3516, 877-762-8762, 202-224-3121, 202-225-3121.
U.S. Senate
White House - President George Bush, The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20500; 202-456-1111 9-5 m-f; fax:202-456-2461. Contact the President via web mail

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=111

I am attaching an article below that appeared in yesterday's edition of the Washington Times. While it is true that the two journalists who wrote the article, Jerry Seper and Stephan Dinan included my brief quote in the article, what is significant is the fact that the funds to construct the entire fence have not as yet been appropriated which is why I made the statement, "Show me the money!"

Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security is still advocating the installation of a "virtual fence" that would provide cameras and sensors; I believe that a virtual fence is virtually no fence! We have seen where technological solutions to our nation's porous borders have not prevented the flood of illegal aliens who have managed to enter our nation surreptitiously. It is not enough to photograph or video tape these aliens. A virtual fence requires that there are an adequate number of Border Patrol agents who can respond to the sensors and images observed on video screens to actually arrest these law violators and then, that they have adequate detention facilities to actually, not virtually hold on to those aliens who have violated our nation's supposedly sovereign borders. Virtual fences often amount to little more than lucrative contracts for companies who are selected to install their devices that, at the end of the day, do little if anything to stem the flow of illegal aliens and undoubtedly criminals and potentially, terrorists from entering the United States.

Of course, even if the fence is constructed, it is only supposed to cover about one third of the border that separates the United States from Mexico. Additionally, there is the issue of the Visa Waiver Program, the lack of integrity to the immigration system including the way that applications for immigration benefits are adjudicated- currently USCIS is caught in a vicious spiral of chasing an ever increasing backlog of applications which further erodes even a semblance of integrity to the system to accords aliens the keys to the kingdom that resident aliens status and United States citizenship represents. Few employers are ever fined for knowingly hiring illegal aliens. These are just a few of the most critical issues confronting the immigration system. However, a fence that can act as a barrier to those who would violate our laws would represent a good first step along the path to national security.

I doubt that Mr. Chertoff would settle for a virtual paycheck for supposedly doing his job, why should he expect the American people would be satisfied with a virtual fence rather than real, impassible barrier to help protect our country?

Lead, follow or get out of the way!

-michael cutler-

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20061 ... -8993r.htm

9/11 Families for a Secure America
PO Box 156
Hawley, PA 18428-0156