Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Border Patrol Speaks Out Against Violence Against Agents

Letter to the Editor of San Diego Union Tribune Newspaper

Fraternal Order of Retired Border Patrol Officers Newsletter

Chief Fisher's Letter to the Editor of San Diego

Union Tribune Newspaper

"The deliberate, unmitigated violence against my agents is going to stop." With these few words, I directed my command staff to find a way to make this directive become reality and to establish a new way of doing business. Today, we stand resolute and committed to this objective.

Many of you may be aware of our operational deployments along the border with Mexico as the increase of violence against Border Patrol Agents continues at unprecedented levels. Last year, one out of every four assaults against agents along the 2,000 miles of border with Mexico occurred in San Diego . Not only is this trend continuing, but it is dramatically increasing; since October 2007 we have recorded over 100 assaults thus far. Nearly twice a day, the men and women of the San Diego Sector Border Patrol, who have unselfishly taken an oath to protect this great Nation, are subjected to violent assaults from criminals operating in Mexico .

These assaults include smugglers throwing large rocks at the agents (at times after the rocks have been wrapped in cloth, doused in kerosene and lit on fire), launching glass bottles, large pieces of wood, steel ball bearings fired from sling shots, to name a few. To those who would argue that this violence is perpetrated by juvenile delinquents and that we should expect this as a "cost of doing business", I offer the following: criminal organizations (alien smugglers and drug smugglers) are hiring known criminals to cross into the United States illegally, create a diversion, and lure our agents into an ambush. When our agents respond, the criminals use military style tactics and "triangulate" their offensive, pinning down the agents in a violent assault. While the agents seek cover, the smugglers move people and contraband over the fence into our neighborhoods.

In response to this criminal activity, I have deployed the Special Response Team to these dangerous border areas. Border Patrol Agents are authorized to deploy less-lethal munitions as necessary to protect and defend themselves and other agents against life-threatening assaults being perpetrated by criminals in Mexico . We will continue to use reasonable force in self-defense as necessary to protect our front-line agents from imminent danger of death or serious bodily harm.

My primary responsibility as the Chief Patrol Agent in San Diego is to the border security mission and to ensure, to the extent that I can within the law and consistent with agency policy, a safe and secure border for our men and women. To do less would be at the very least irresponsible and at worst, malfeasance. We will not relinquish ground under operational control nor will we retreat from our front-line deployments; the threat is real, our border security mission critical, and failure is clearly not an option.

Michael J. Fisher

Chief Patrol Agent

United States Border Patrol

San Diego Sector

Home

Banned
    Bush needs to get off his Christmas cookies and do something.

ladyofshallot do you have a link please.

Would like to send this to members of congress.

Mexico needs to create a clear zone next to the border fence in that area.
    Mexican buildings next to the border fence are unacceptable and it's the Mexican government's responsibility to clean that area (slum) out.

The border patrol agents must be allowed to defend themselves by what-ever means necessary.

Fences make good neighbors.
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Found at this link today. Will see if I can find the UT link too.

http://www.americanpatrol.com/BP/CA/071 ... 22-Ltr.htm
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Thank you so much jean......writing my congressmen now.

Fences make good neighbors.
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    I hope this person realizes he is fighting Bush's open border no matter what policy. King George doesn't care about nothing but drugs and Illegals crossing the border... He wants a lot of both

Letters to the editor

December 22, 2007

Regarding “Mexico wants probe of tear-gas use by Border Patrol"
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/mexi ... epper.html

Border Patrol sector chief responds to story

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib ... tters.html