Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Citizen's Petition Against Making Puerto Rico our 51st State

"This American citizen calls upon the U.S. Congress to reject statehood for Puerto Rico."

Help oppose H.R. 2499, the "PUERTO RICO DEMOCRACY ACT OF 2009", introuduced by Puerto Rican Representative Pedro Pierluisi May 19, 2009:

Background on Statehood for Puerto Rico:

On May 19, 2009, Pedro Peirluisi, Puerto Rico's Representative in the U.S. House of Representatives, introduced H.R. 2499, the "Puerto Rico Democracy Act of 2009", with 88 co-sponsors. That number already has grown to 108. For the third time since 1997, this bill calls for a Puerto Rican referendum on statehood.
    http://prssa51.wordpress.com/2009/05/23 ... ry-remarks

No provision is contained in H.R. 2499 requiring that Puerto Rico recognize or adopt English as the official language of its government. Admitting Puerto Rico as our 51st state without such a provision would give defacto recognition to Spanish as a language equal to English in the United States. Further, Puerto Rico has rejected statehood in three such referendums since 1967.

Below is a CITIZEN'S PETITION to the Republican National Committee:

Citizen's Petition to the United States Congress
    against making Spanish-only Puerto Rico America's 51st State

"WHEREAS, in his book, Statehood Is for the Poor, Puerto Rico statehood leader Carlos Romero-Barcelo boasted that statehood would be a financial windfall for Puerto Rico at the expense of taxpayers in every other state; and

WHEREAS at least 80% of the residents of Puerto Rico speak little or no English; and WHEREAS, the people of Puerto Rico love their Spanish language and Puerto Rican culture the way Americans used to love their English language and American culture; and

WHEREAS, efforts to introduce English in Puerto Rico's public schools have resulted in protest marches by teachers; and

WHEREAS, given Puerto Rico's hostility to English, making Puerto Rico America's 51st state would simply mean that the United States would have its very own Quebec; and

WHEREAS, Puerto Rican nationalists tried to kill Presdient Harry Truman in 1950 and opened fire on the House of Representatives in 1954, to protest the island's lack of independence from the United States; and

WHEREAS, given the violent reaction of some Puerto Ricans to the idea of American statehood means that imposing statehood on Puerto Rico would create America's very own Northern Ireland; and

WHEREAS, the people of Puerto Rico have rejected U.S. Statehood in 1967, 1993 and 1998; and

WHEREAS legislation pending in the U.S. House of Representatives would force statehood upon the nation of Puerto Rico; and

WHEREAS the House of Representatives is limited to 435 seats, which means that a 51st state of Puerto Rico will deprive six to seven other states of at least one Congressman each; and

WHEREAS, Puerto Rico can always ask for U.S. statehood but has no right to demand it; and

WHEREAS, the American people have as much right to self-determination as do the people of Puerto Rico, including the right to reject U.S. statehood for a Spanish-only, impoverished island which covets access to the American treasury but despises America's language and culture;

This American citizen calls upon the U.S. Congress to reject statehood for Puerto Rico

Respectfully,"

A "Citizen's Petition to the United States Congress Against Making Spanish-Only Puerto Rico America's 51st State".
    http://www.nopuertoricostatehood.com/pe ... tition.php

This petition will be delivered to the Republican National Committee by:
    English First
    8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102
    Springfield, VA 22151
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Over half of all Puerto Ricans speak English and many are bi-lingual.

They recently voted down becoming a state, so until they want to join us as a state, then I don't think we need to worry about such things.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

A NEW bill (below) which would authorize ANOTHER referendum on U.S. statehood for Puerto Rico was introduced into the U.S. House of Representatives on May 19, 2009. H.R. 2499 has 108 co-sponsors to date.

And other sources (please see below) indicate that the language of the Puerto Rican government and of the majority of Puerto Ricans is Spanish; that most Puerto Ricans do not speak English well; and that they display little interest in doing so.

PUERTO RICO DEMOCRACY ACT OF 2009 (Introduced in House)

HR 2499 IH

111th CONGRESS
    1st Session

H. R. 2499
    To provide for a federally sanctioned self-determination process for the people of Puerto Rico.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

May 19, 2009

Mr. PIERLUISI (for himself, Mr. ABERCROMBIE, Mr. ARCURI, Mr. BAIRD, Ms. BERKLEY, Mr. BERMAN, Ms. BORDALLO, Mr. BOUSTANY, Ms. CORRINE BROWN of Florida, Mr. BROWN of South Carolina, Mr. BURTON of Indiana, Mr. BUTTERFIELD, Mr. CARDOZA, Mr. CASTLE, Ms. CLARKE, Mr. CONNOLLY of Virginia, Mr. CONYERS, Mr. COSTA, Mr. CUELLAR, Mr. DELAHUNT, Mr. DENT, Mr. LINCOLN DIAZ-BALART of Florida, Mr. MARIO DIAZ-BALART of Florida, Mr. DOYLE, Mr. ENGEL, Mr. FALEOMAVAEGA, Mr. FARR, Mr. FATTAH, Mr. FLAKE, Ms. FUDGE, Mr. GERLACH, Mr. GRAYSON, Mr. GENE GREEN of Texas, Mr. HARE, Mr. HASTINGS of Florida, Mr. HIGGINS, Mr. HINCHEY, Mr. HOYER, Ms. JACKSON-LEE of Texas, Mr. JOHNSON of Georgia, Ms. KAPTUR, Mr. KENNEDY, Mr. KILDEE, Ms. KILPATRICK of Michigan, Mr. KLEIN of Florida, Mr. KRATOVIL, Ms. LEE of California, Mr. LEWIS of Georgia, Mr. DANIEL E. LUNGREN of California, Mr. MACK, Mr. MAFFEI, Ms. MARKEY of Colorado, Mr. MASSA, Mr. MCGOVERN, Mr. MCCAUL, Mr. MICA, Mr. MOLLOHAN, Mr. MORAN of Virginia, Ms. NORTON, Mr. OLVER, Mr. ORTIZ, Mr. PENCE, Mr. POE of Texas, Mr. POLIS of Colorado, Mr. PUTNAM, Mr. RAHALL, Mr. REYES, Mr. RODRIGUEZ, Ms. ROS-LEHTINEN, Mr. SABLAN, Mr. SALAZAR, Ms. LORETTA SANCHEZ of California, Mr. SHULER, Mr. SMITH of Washington, Mr. STARK, Mr. TAYLOR, Mr. THOMPSON of Mississippi, Mr. TONKO, Mr. WALZ, Ms. WASSERMAN SCHULTZ, Ms. WATSON, Mr. WATT, Mr. WAXMAN, Mr. WESTMORELAND, Mr. WEXLER, Mr. WILSON of South Carolina, Mr. WU, Mr. YARMUTH, and Mr. YOUNG of Alaska) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Natural Resources

A BILL
    To provide for a federally sanctioned self-determination process for the people of Puerto Rico.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Puerto Rico Democracy Act of 2009'.

SEC. 2. FEDERALLY SANCTIONED PROCESS FOR PUERTO RICO'S SELF-DETERMINATION.

(a) First Plebiscite- The Government of Puerto Rico is authorized to conduct a plebiscite in Puerto Rico. The 2 options set forth on the ballot shall be preceded by the following statement: `Instructions: Mark one of the following 2 options:

`(1) Puerto Rico should continue to have its present form of political status. If you agree, mark here XX.

`(2) Puerto Rico should have a different political status. If you agree, mark here XX.'.

(b) Procedure if Majority in First Plebiscite Favors Option 1- If a majority of the ballots in the plebiscite are cast in favor of Option 1, the Government of Puerto Rico is authorized to conduct additional plebiscites under subsection (a) at intervals of every 8 years from the date that the results of the prior plebiscite are certified under section 3(d).

(c) Procedure if Majority in First Plebiscite Favors Option 2- If a majority of the ballots in a plebiscite conducted pursuant to subsection (a) or (b) are cast in favor of Option 2, the Government of Puerto Rico is authorized to conduct a plebiscite on the following 3 options:

(1) Independence: Puerto Rico should become fully independent from the United States. If you agree, mark here XX.

(2) Sovereignty in Association with the United States: Puerto Rico and the United States should form a political association between sovereign nations that will not be subject to the Territorial Clause of the United States Constitution. If you agree, mark here XX.

(3) Statehood: Puerto Rico should be admitted as a State of the Union. If you agree, mark here XX.

SEC. 3. APPLICABLE LAWS AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS.

(a) Applicable Laws- All Federal laws applicable to the election of the Resident Commissioner shall, as appropriate and consistent with this Act, also apply to any plebiscites held pursuant to this Act. Any reference in such Federal laws to elections shall be considered, as appropriate, to be a reference to the plebiscites, unless it would frustrate the purposes of this Act.

(b) Rules and Regulations- The Puerto Rico State Elections Commission shall issue all rules and regulations necessary to carry out the plebiscites under this Act.

(c) Eligibility To Vote- Each of the following shall be eligible to vote in any plebiscite held under this Act:

(1) All eligible voters under the electoral laws in effect in Puerto Rico at the time the plebiscite is held.

(2) All United States citizens born in Puerto Rico who comply, to the satisfaction of the Puerto Rico State Elections Commission, with all Commission requirements (other than the residency requirement) applicable to eligibility to vote in a general election in Puerto Rico. Persons eligible to vote under this subsection shall, upon timely request submitted to the Commission in compliance with any terms imposed by the Electoral Law of Puerto Rico, be entitled to receive an absentee ballot for the plebiscite.

(d) Certification of Plebiscite Results- The Puerto Rico State Elections Commission shall certify the results of any plebiscite held under this Act to the President of the United States and to the Members of the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/thomas
    (you may have to go to the thomas link at the U.S. House of Representatives website and enter "Bill Number" H.R. 2499 to access this.)

The Language Question

"On Puerto Rico's Willingness to Adopt America's National Language--English:

"[Y]es, we want statehood, but that neither our language nor our culture is negotiable." - Former Governor Carlos Romero-Barcelo

"Puerto Rico is a nation which is as proud of its Spanish language and culture as the United States used to be of its English language and American culture.

"While the island is technically bilingual, the language of the government, public schools, courts and 80 to 90% of the residents of Puerto Rico is Spanish.

"Fully 90% of Puerto Rico's high school graduates do not speak English well."

http://www.nopuertoricostatehood.com/pu ... glish.html

Here is my vote!

No, if you want to be part of the US, do it just like Hawaii & Alaska did Assimilate into the country, learn English.

Ken
    Any and all comments & Opinions and postings by me are considered of my own opinion, and not of any ORG that I belong to! PERIOD!

Re: reply

Quote Originally Posted by dregerk
    Here is my vote!

No, if you want to be part of the US, do it just like Hawaii & Alaska did Assimilate into the country, learn English.

Ken
    I have been to Puerto Rico. The ENTIRE time I was there, every single person I contacted spoke English. Also, after talking to them, they DO NOT want to become a state. Dixie is absolutely right. Nothing to worry about here. Concentrate on illegals.
    We see so many tribes overrun and undermined

While their invaders dream of lands they've left behind

Better people...better food...and better beer...

Why move around the world when Eden was so near?
    -Neil Peart from the song Territories&

I am Puerto Rican..I am also againts statehood

I am Puerto Rican, born in PR, residing in US. I am also against statehood. I like the fact that some of this sites want to petition against congress to decide the future of PR. I just hope that the voice of the american against statehood can be heard louder, this way I can once and for all demonstrate my own fellow Puerto Ricans to start supporting Independence, its sad part that most Puerto Ricans in the island rejects independence.

And most Americans in US are against Puerto Rico been a state, if someone who has some good knowledge of how the status in PR is affecting US i gladly appreciated, even though I do know. Sometimes is good to hear it from the average American.

The obstacle is that Most Americans against statehood does not present a good case why to be against statehood,If i can be proving wrong I do not have a problem with that. Most Puerto Ricans rejects independence and have little knowledge that it would be more beneficial to the island. Any feedbacks will be appreciated.

No Statehood issue

Born in Puerto Rico and raised in the US mainland, I have come to understand and gain perspective on the issue of statehood for Puerto Rico.

I often visited PR growing up and have returned to live here despite the many struggles I see face the people here. It is disheartening for me to see beggars on the street when it was unheard of in my father's day to see someone in that condition. And no, they are not all a bunch of drug addicts.

Puerto Rico is perhaps the only or most assimilated country of all Latin America. Many business establishments hold English names and a great many people are bilingual although not all are fluent in English. But then US residents are bordered by spanish and french speaking countries and how many speak those languages? Yet, Europeans generally speak several languages.

We are often amazed that US mainland residents don't know how well-developed PR is. Many people still think we're just a bunch of natives running around. We have produced many artists, inventors, heart surgeons, etc. Our tourism department serves as a model for other islands.

Adn yet, with the baby boom generation returning, awareness of the inequities of the present territorial governmental arrangement are evident everywhere.

Although the recently-elected officials favor statehood, they do not encompass the majority's sentiments.

This is what it would mean to Puerto Rico to become a state:
    -Loss of competitive status as a separate nation in olympic-type events
    -Loss of Spanish as mother tongue
    -Loss of natural resources to federalized planning
    -Inability to pursue merchandizing with other countries
    There's probably a whole lot more but since I am not an economist or historian I can only offer the following examples from what I perceive to have occurred in Puerto Rico during my lifetime.

There was a great deal of poverty in the 50's and arrangements were made by both US and PR governments. However, fertile lands and rights were stripped away to make room for military bombing exercises on smaller islands. Taxation relief was granted to US businesses without equal consideration to just pay for workers and investments in PR social infrastructure.

Now Puerto Ricans find their sons and daughters fighting for the US military without the right to vote for the US President; the school system is in ruins with no substitute teacher or day care systems in place. Many of the educated youth are unable to find work- doctor's are paid a ridiculous $10/hr; nurses, teachers, police far less.

The pains that America feels are felt even stronger here and I see once affluent areas now posting for sale signs and more people on unemployment lines, without medical benefits and looking for food assistance.

I truly believe that Puerto Ricans were never enabled to develop but rather a dependent mind set was created.

So is it any wonder that now that everyone in the world is in financial crisis that PR is asking for the help it did not receive? And traditionally, that happens with a request for referendum on statehood.

A plan for self-sufficiency rather than statehood or dependency is what is needed.

Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime. And he'll be a good neighbor and share his savory meals with you too ;