Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

E-Verify: Challenges and Opportunities

The following testimony by Janice Kephart of The Center for Immigration Studies before a Congressional committee is detailed and contains a number of tables which make it both simpler and more meaningful to read at the source. That link is provided at the end of the introduction below.

E-Verify: Challenges and Opportunities

By Janice Kephart
    July 2009
    Testimony

Testimony for the Record Before the

U.S. HOUSE COMMITTEE ON OVERSIGHT AND GOVERNMENT REFORM

Subcommittee on Management, Organization and Procurement, Committee on Oversight and Government Reform

July 23, 2009
    10:00 AM
    Room 2154 Rayburn

I am currently the Director of National Security Policy at the Center for Immigration Studies and a former counsel to the 9/11 Commission, where I co-authored the monograph 9/11 and Terrorist Travel alongside recommendations that appear in the 9/11 Final Report1. Prior to 9/11, I was counsel to the U.S. Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Technology and Terrorism where I specialized in foreign terrorist activity in the United States and worked to pass the federal criminal and redress system in place today for identity theft. Today I focus on issues pertaining to border and identity security and its nexus to national security issues. In September I released an extensive report on E-Verify, and this past March a statistical analysis regarding current use of E-Verify. These two reports will be the focus of this testimony, alongside some basic facts in regard to how border issues affect national security. I have testified before the U.S. Congress ten times, and I am privileged to submit my testimony to the House Government Reform Subcommittee on Management today.

To read her entire testimony:
    http://cis.org/Testimony/E-Verify-Chall ... ortunities
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Conclusion

Despite the fact that E-Verify is arguably one of the best government programs in existence, it is still in real trouble. Partly perhaps, because of its success, forces not interested in streamlined work authorization—like the Chamber of Commerce—who have been fighting the program vociferously.

If we undo the policies well on their way to fruition like the fully operational E-Verify, and find measures to discourage employers from using E-Verify or states from proactively seeking to use E-Verify to comply with federal immigration law, we will find that we have undone the progress towards a more transparent, legally authorized work force we have been sounding the alarm about desperately needing for years.

Change in our pockets is what we need. Not change away from solid programs good for Americans.
    I Whole Heartedly Concurr!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)